Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

User Interface Improvement Suggestion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2014 9:21:54 AM PDT
Marc Young says:
While I actually like my sponsored Kindles because I have found deals on things I enjoyed or exposed to a product I was unaware of...I really dislike that when I am listening to an ebook or audiobook, I have to login and get past the lock screen ad to be able to pause, play, or skip back. I listen to books for the greater part of my workday so being able to pause quickly is very handy feature. I wish they would shrink the ad to the lower two thirds of the screen like on Android lock screens and put the controls for the active player up top. I currently have to leave the screen open and use up more battery power to keep the controls handy. I have a case that turns the screen on when you open it, so it would be really handy to have the controls right there when I open it. Also, the iPhone ear buds I got from my wife's phone will work to pause/play on my Android devices but will not work on my Kindle....I really wish the aux port allowed for the built in play & volume controls on the newer ear buds.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 9:27:47 AM PDT
Dittie says:
You could buy a pair of earbuds that aren't meant for iOS devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 9:33:02 AM PDT
❤ Ann says:
To send suggestions to Amazon, you can either email kindle-fire-feedback@amazon.com, or you can click the "Help" link at the top of any Amazon page, then "Need More Help?" > "Contact Us".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 9:44:18 AM PDT
Marc Young says:
Do they make earbuds with playback controls for Android/Kindle devices? I've looked at the plug & the ones for the Samsung devices have 4 different contacts just like the IOS ones...I actually like the way the newer apple ear buds fit. I can typically wear them most of the day without getting a headache. Do you have some that work on your kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 9:46:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2014 9:48:16 AM PDT
Dittie says:
Sony makes some in two versions, iOS and Android. Typically the Android ones are less expensive.

ETA: Sony MDR-EX100AP/L In-Ear Headset for Smartphone, Blue

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 10:06:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2014 10:07:44 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Do you have some that work on your kindle?"

These will work on the newer Kindle Fires - but not the original Kindle Fire HDs (first gen).

Amazon Premium Headphones

ETA: when I say they don't work, I'm talking about the inline control thing that controls the volume and start/stop function - the actual headphones still work...

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 10:23:09 AM PDT
Marc Young says:
I have a Kindle HDX. So I would like to know if any of the android ones playback controls work on the kindle since is android based. I didn't realize they were making android version buds....I'll have to search for some.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 10:30:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2014 10:30:57 AM PDT
The ad screen is not the lock screen. It is 1 layer above the lock screen. The Fire should have lock screen audio controls, you have to enable them. From the home screen press Music - Menu - Settings. Then press Lock screen controls. Ensure that a tick is in the box. Though I do not know if that setting will affect the audio from the audible app or the book app.

As for the earbuds, that requires the right hardware (an audio jack with inline control capability) and I do not think the Fire has it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 10:46:31 AM PDT
Carbonbased says:
If you haven't activated a password, the ad screen is definitely the lock screen...one swipe from ad screen to home screen (or the screen you left it on.)

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 10:51:59 AM PDT
Marc Young says:
Thomas, see the link above, the Kindle Fire phone ear buds work with the newer generation Kindles. As for the ad and lock screen, I want for the playback controls be on top of the first screen that pops up. The point for it is quick access to control while still being able to shut the screen off. Also, screen on and off by double tapping the screen would be nice....my LG G2 phone does this and it's handy since the power button is also on back of the phone like the HDX.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 11:03:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2014 12:23:51 PM PDT
That is correct. But the OP mentioned a PW and I was responding in that light. The PW screen is the one where the audio controls should show up (based on what I was able to find out about it).

EDIT: PW = password not paperwhite... the OP said "I have to login" and if you look at the post I was replying to we are talking about a password.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 11:06:10 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet - which came with a set of headphones that have a control peice on them (volume, start/stop media). However, when I tried my new pair of the Amazon Premium headphones on that tablet - the controls didn't work (none of them). So I'm guessing there is going to be a bit of a brand/model difference in what works and what doesn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 11:09:19 AM PDT
New Girl says:
I don't think so. It wouldn't make any sense for the PW to have audio controls when it doesn't have any audio capabilities. The only reference that the OP made to devise was when he stated he had an HDX.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 11:16:05 AM PDT
There is no way the OP was listening to any audio on the Paperwhite. I see no mention of the PW in the OP.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 11:26:06 AM PDT
T. Cannon says:
I was confused at first too by PW. But I think Thomas meant PassWord when he used PW not PaperWhite. :-)

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 11:50:04 AM PDT
Marc Young says:
Thomas, under my music settings on my HDX, there are only 3 items: Automatic Downloads On/Off, Clear Cache, and Streaming Bitrate. I see no toggle to show/hide lock screen controls for the music player. And while I mentioned the ebook reader & audible reader, I also use the Prime music, so would like the music controls to appear on the first screen at screen power on.

Yes, I'm only referring to my HDX playback as I don't have a paper white. Specifically, I listen to several free or cheap indie author's ebooks available in the Kindle store, I also subscribe to Audible and get a new book each month to listen to, I use the Overdrive app to checkout audiobooks, and I listen use the Amazon music player. All of the audio based media apps should have lock screen controls that activate if they are currently playing media and the screen locks. I will be ordering the Amazon headphones linked above as it seems these will fit my needs perfectly so long as they also work for all of the apps I listed above.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 11:57:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2014 12:24:59 PM PDT
Yes, I meant password. Considering I was directly replying to someone who said password... Oh well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 12:14:06 PM PDT
Marc Young says: "Thomas, see the link above, the Kindle Fire phone ear buds work with the newer generation Kindles."

Cool, they upgraded to the the inline command jack on the newer models. I didn't realize they did since I tried some headphones I have with the controls and they didn't work on my HDX. I guess iOS devices do something slightly differently with the commands so that it's not always compatible.

"Thomas, under my music settings on my HDX, there are only 3 items: Automatic Downloads On/Off, Clear Cache, and Streaming Bitrate. I see no toggle to show/hide lock screen controls for the music player."

Hmm.. I wonder why they removed that option on the HDX? I don't use it so I haven't checked. I'm just passing along research I found on how to get the controls on the lock screen. I wasn't sure if they were talking about the older models or the newer ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 12:53:47 PM PDT
Marc Young says:
I think I'll use the MayDay feature and video chat to let someone earn their day's pay, lol....well, once I get home from the office. I posted on the forum for the Amazon ear buds to see if anyone can tell me if they work with the various audio apps before I buy them. Unlike various other products on Amazon, I don't see an "Ask a question" area about the ear buds. [shrug]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 1:05:31 PM PDT
If you scroll down towards the bottom there is a "forum" for the product with a few questions already that haven't been answered. I am extremely doubtful that the mayday rep will have that answer either. Only other owners/user would. The Mayday rep will only have the information on the product page.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 1:14:10 PM PDT
Marc Young says:
Clarification in reference to asking the Mayday rep, I was going to see if there was a setting to make the music or other playback controls appear on the lock screen...not ask about the ear buds.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
9 1 hour ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 1910 6 minutes ago
order:114-4770305-4191449 4 9 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2913 14 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - Friday, Sept. 19, 2014 7 17 minutes ago
New Kindles! 113 20 minutes ago
September Informal Poll--What are you reading now? 250 27 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed/Thurs Sept 17 & 18, 2014 230 36 minutes ago
Again no larger than 6'' screen on the new Kindle (Voyage)?! 3 38 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  15 days ago
Latest post:  15 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions