Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Buy one Get one Free\ Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

HD Streaming

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2012 6:25:10 AM PDT
none says:
Can one stream HD movies and tv shows, with real surround sound, to a home entertainment system on a Kindle Paperwhite or other B&W Kindles, or does one need an HD Kindle Fire?

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 6:39:31 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Requires the Kindle Fire HD

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 9:09:57 AM PDT
none says:

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 9:28:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 9:29:16 AM PDT
R. W.,

E-ink Kindles don't have the kind of hardware required to stream movies; they are designed to handle only small amounts of data. They also don't have the type of connector required to transmit HD signals to a television; they have only USB 2.0, and you need HDMI.

The only Kindle offered that has the capacity to handle and connect to an entertainment system for Hi-Def signals is the Kindle Fire HD (either size.) An HDMI cable is not included so you will have to get one separately. As far as the actual quality of the HD video and whether you have surround sound, that depends on the individual movie or show, and which service you get it from. Right now the quality of Netflix streaming on the Fire HD isn't great, although I am sure they'll be updating that soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 9:36:52 AM PDT
 Ann says:
For streaming to a home entertainment system, you might want to consider this - Roku 2 XD Streaming Player 1080p.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 10:14:06 AM PDT
none says:
Thanks to all. I'm obviously new to this endeavor. Two things, Ann: Is this Roku device instead of or in addition to the Kindle? Somebody told me that one needs a Roku-like device to capture the broadband, and e.g., a Kindle to capture the actual content. Second, I've been looking at the Roku s XS HD for a few dollars more. Any advice here?

Thanks again to all.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 10:24:08 AM PDT
 Ann says:
A Roku box is used instead of a Fire or other device. I've been using a Roku for several years now to stream Netflix and Amazon videos - since long before I had a Fire.

You could certainly hook the Fire up to the TV and stream from it, but it's nice to have a dedicated streaming device that's part of your entertainment system.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 10:46:04 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I have a blu-ray player that allows me to stream Amazon videos.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 12:04:08 PM PDT
none says:
I agree. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 3 days ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) November 2015 1071 10 seconds ago
Amazon Echo drops connection every day. 18 1 minute ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 4580 4 minutes ago
paranormal series 6 5 minutes ago
So I bought an e-book with a free audiobook 1 5 minutes ago
November 2015 Informal Poll; What Are You Reading? 375 7 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 4894 10 minutes ago
Multiple Amazon Echos 35 15 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions