Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Friday, Nov. 30, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 12:03:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 2:14:15 AM PST
Happy Friday Everyone.......

Welcome! Join us as we peruse the free book links, share our selections and enjoy a little conversation. Grab a cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate and a freshly baked cinnamon roll or two in the Kindle Cafe and settle in with us for a while.

Special birthday wishes to Avid Reader Liz who is celebrating the beginning of another year of life, love and happiness today. May you be blessed abundantly today, tomorrow and all of the days to come! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIZ.......

---------- ()--()---()---()--()
---------- || - || - || - || - ||
---------- || - || - || - || - ||
-------@@@@@@@@@@@@@
------ {~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*}
----@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
--- {*~*~*~*~HAPPY~*~*~*~*}
--- {*~*~*~* BIRTHDAY*~*~*~}
--- {*~*~*Avid Reader Liz*~*~*}
--- @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
-------------)-----------(--------------
------- ____)-----------(_______
------- /___________________\

"Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest."
― Larry Lorenzoni

"Romance novels are birthday cake and life is often peanut butter and jelly. I think everyone should have lots of delicious romance novels lying around for those times when the peanut butter of life gets stuck to the roof of your mouth."
― Janet Evanovich

"There is still no cure for the common birthday."
― John Glenn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BANANA SPICE CAKE

2 1/2 c. sifted cake flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1/8 tsp. cloves
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. mashed, ripe bananas
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, spices. Beat shortening until creamy. Add sugar gradually and continue beating, until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with bananas a small amount at a time, beating after each addition, until smooth. Turn into 2 (9 inch) layer cake pans. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes.

FROSTING:
1/2 c. ripe mashed bananas (1 lg.)
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. butter
3 1/2 c. sifted confectioners' sugar

Mix together banana and lemon juice. Beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and banana alternately, a small amount at a time, beating until light and fluffy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Links to free book resources:

Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/

Kinlib Update:
Friday, November 30th 2012, 02:07 AM PST
http://us.kinlib.com/new/ff2e/ (609)

Ereaderiq:
ereaderiq.com/free/mn
ereaderiq.com/free/

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS ***
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Starter Schedule:

KayKay - Sat, Dec 1 - Start time 12:30-1:30 EST
KayKay - Sun Dec 2 Start time 12:30-1:30 EST
Leonard Little - Monday, Dec 03: Start Time 12:30 PST or a bit earlier
IrishM - Tuesday Dec 04: start time: 5-6 am EST (or so)
SDR Marla- Wednesday, December 5 start time: 8-9 AM EST
Robb - Thursday, December 06 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
Lover of Books - Friday, December 7th Start Time 12:30am PST
TnT - Saturday, December 8 start time by 7AM CST
Robb - Friday, December 14 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST

Open Dates:
Sunday, December 9
Monday, December 10
Tuesday, December 11
Wednesday, December 12
Thursday, December 13
Saturday, December 15
Sunday, December 16

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.
Thank You!

Birthday and Anniversary link:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=46D686309DF8EC54!225&authkey=!AKPFhMjMoPLl7y8

The link to yesterday's thread:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgID=MxO897DKRK4GAH&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2MMWVQRHHV97D#MxO897DKRK4GAH

Edited to include Liz' favorite birthday cake Banana Spice as opposed to Red Velvet. ;~)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 12:49:19 AM PST
Happy Birthday Liz...

LOB....Loved the quotes...

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 12:53:57 AM PST
From my wish list......
Strike the Match (The Teacup Novellas - Book Two)
and
Some Things Never Change (Elmo Jenkins - Book Two)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 1:09:47 AM PST
L0B, thanks for the beautiful birthday cake and the recipe for the red velvet cake, which is actually my younger daughter's favorite cake. Mine is Banana Spice, which my mother always made for me when she was alive and I happened to be home for my birthday.

Thanks to Sandy Shops for the birthday wishes also. My twin grandsons turned 5 on Nov 27 so we will celebrate all the birthdays together this weekend.
I'm going to paste my post from last night after most everyone was in bed rather than retype it.

Hi, Robb

I'm Avid Reader Liz and I usually lurk on this forum. I don't post as often as I used to because for some reason I get around to reading the posts so late that everyone has gone to bed before I've finished. I do try to keep up with the posts, but have missed a few when I get 3 or 4 days behind.

Thanks to all the starters and posters who keep this thread going. I do so enjoy reading about everyone's children, grandchildren, pets, etc. I pray for all of you who are in pain, either physical or emotional and for those who have suffered such great losses due to hurricanes, noreasters, fires, floods, etc.

I miss so many of our old friends who quit posting and hope they are well. I'm so glad that Rahoo Tigaroo has been posting some on the Expatriates thread. Nospin haven't seen you post lately. Hope all is well. Elizabeth SH, hope you have managed to move to a heated, dry home or apartment now and begun to recover somewhat.

Liz

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 1:21:34 AM PST
Happy birthday from Northern Lights, Liz:)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 2:12:41 AM PST
The Kinlib update just came in.......

Friday, November 30th 2012, 02:07 AM PST
http://us.kinlib.com/new/ff2e/ (609)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 2:53:35 AM PST
Lyn says:
Thanks for the cake LOB

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 3:00:37 AM PST
Hey Robb.... Your welcome. I really can't take the credit though. I knew I had seen someone do a cake and I searched through a lot of threads to find it. The credit goes to Penny Pinching Polly who used to be a regular poster in the Gold Box Forum, but I haven't seen her around for a long time.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:17:48 AM PST
Irish M says:
Thanks for the start, the cake looks delicious!

Happy Birthday, Liz!

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:39:46 AM PST
I'm off to get some sleep as the NyQuil is kicking in, but I'll be back later. Save me a cinnamon roll...... ;-0

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:49:19 AM PST
Mo says:
Happy Birthday Liz!

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 4:40:43 AM PST
Janine says:
Thanks for starting LOB Happy Birthday Liz

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 4:45:39 AM PST
Suze says:
Hi Panger,

I'm glad things are going better for you....I remember when your Dr. took you off the anti-depressant, you didn't sound too good.

No, Stanley doesn't shed. I'm just his "Grandma" anyway so I get to enjoy him without all the responsibility! Nice!! I have 2 kitties here so I have plenty of hair floating around. It's worth it though, right?

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 5:17:48 AM PST
Suze says:
Thanks LOB!

Cute start with the birthday cake for Liz.

@ Avid Reader Liz
Happy, happy Birthday!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 5:41:52 AM PST
Lyn says:
Like the turkey ascii I tried several cakes but they all collapsed when tested so I am copying away.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 5:43:47 AM PST
Suze says:
~~~~~FRIDAY QUESTION~~~~~

We took a fantastic trip to Antarctica yesterday and I believe there's a "Blue Door" special tour for the holidays coming next weekend.

Have you ever spent the holidays away from home? Was it someplace special with great atmosphere or maybe you were trying to get home and got stranded somewhere?

Have you ever been to NYCity or Washington, D.C. for example in the month of December just to view the famous decorations??

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:59:46 AM PST
CZinAZ says:
bump

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 7:00:05 AM PST
Happy birthday Liz!!!! What is this Banana Spice cake?!?! I must make this soon... thank you for the recipe :)~
Love the birthday quotes!

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:01:13 AM PST
LKS says:
~Avid Reader Liz~ Happy Birthday! Have a wonderful day.

~LOB~Thanks, for the start and the recipe. I copy all your recipes, they have all been DELISH!!!!!!!!!!

Good morning, all! I have been to both, New York City & Washington D.C. to see the beautiful Christmas Lights. I love the "real" Macys at Christmas time. Always have been home for Christmas although, the year my 2nd son was born on the 26th, we thought were going to spend it in the hospital. I was determined that was NOT going to happen!!!LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 7:15:29 AM PST
robb says:
C-Bird I do believe you missed yesterday's partay. What you didn't want to go to Antarctica?

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:24:51 AM PST
bethcross says:
Happy Birthday Liz and good morning everyone else!
Quick fly-by this morning. Not as much as the past several days -

From the Archives:
Of Moths and Butterflies (Mar 1)
The Witch's Stone (May 5)
Crooked Man (Tubby Dubonnet #1) (Tubby Dubonnet Mystery) (The Tubby Dubonnet Series) (June 29)
The Devil Is a Gentleman (A Niki Slobodian Novel: Book 2) (Aug 13)
Pop Fiction (10-26)

New Today:
Stranger in Town (A Sloane Monroe Novel, Book Four)
The McKinnon The Beginning (The McKinnon Legends)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:41:26 AM PST
The Ultimate Healthy Snack List

♫ I feel snacky, oh so snacky, todayyyyyy ♫

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:45:05 AM PST
robb says:
I uploaded the entire blog which means when you click on #18 you get all the pictures from yesterday's Antarctic blog.

Super-TIGER had to go outside yesterday for its compatibility test. Because we're in the front of the highbay, this meant we had to go out to the dance floor to get out of the way. While out there we worked on more attitude sensor tests, trying to find a bright star (Canopus) with the star cameras.

***For pictures, please put the following in your browser

http://sprng.me/l56e5ksaax8fOysvOzs1nLz57LyJ3MycuaycaezZ3PncnHz53Kmw2

***Just click on the picture to enlarge it as well as get a description of the photo

@**If you didn't check out my recipe example here is another example of Spring Pad possibilities.**@

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 7:48:59 AM PST
robb says:
@Suze
If Stanley doesn't shed, does that mean he needs haircuts like poodles do?

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:56:07 AM PST
robb says:
Great Friday questions. Boring answers from me.

Have you ever spent the holidays away from home? No.

Have you ever been to NY City or Washington, D.C. for example in the month of December just to view the famous decorations?? No. But I am on the West Coast. :) We have driven in the past to go see the special areas around here all duded up with lights. Now we just watch on TV rather than deal with the traffic.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Want to Trade/Borrow.... 10 1 minute ago
FREE Books & Chat - February 2016 320 5 minutes ago
Being charged for Kindle Unlimited books 45 16 minutes ago
Book not in my kindle 0 18 minutes ago
Kindle Fire says I have too many devices and won't let me load a new book. 2 28 minutes ago
FB&C Book Discussion - The Criers Club - February 11, 2016 45 30 minutes ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 1724 43 minutes ago
Lep's world 2 4 45 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 509 53 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 7138 1 hour ago
Getting books from one tablet to another tablet 4 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions