Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Low internal storage space on Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 312 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2013 11:41:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2013 12:02:02 PM PDT
LadyWhit says:
I keep getting a message that my internal storage space is getting low. I have NO documents, pictures, videos, or music on my Kindle Fire. I do have about 4 books & the dictionary on it, along with many game apps. I have gone through everything & can find nothing thats taking up so much space. Any idea on how to correct this issue?
*I have gone thru my apps to get rid of some of them from my device. My application storage has been fine, with plenty of space left. Would my apps affect the internal storage too?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 11:42:07 AM PDT
"...many game apps..."

Delete some of those. They'll stay in your Cloud, and you can rotate them. But keep fewer game apps on your device at one time.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 11:43:36 AM PDT
You can actually see specifically how much room you have for each type of thing. If you go to the menu (swipe down or gear), then More, then Device, then Storage, then Apps, you can see whatever percentage is taken up currently by apps.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 9:23:20 PM PDT
LadyWhit, games take up a LOT of space. And it's all internal storage because that's where games store any files they download, and where they themselves are stored.

As Folina pointed out you can go to Settings and Device and Storage and see what Apps are taking up space.

If you list the names of some of the apps we can probably tell you the likely culprits. There are games like EA FIFA that take up 1-2 GB space and some like Bard's Tale also take up similar amounts of space.

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 2:06:20 PM PDT
I have 17 apps on my Fire, 8 of which came preloaded and I cannot remove them, even though I don't use them. I have 6 books, one of which is the New Oxford American Dictionary that came preloaded and doesn't have a remove feature. I have nothing in the Newsstand, Music, Video or Docs. I have 253 items in my kindle collection. And I have gotten the low storage message too. The device setting says I have an Application Storage (866.84 MB of 1.17 GB available), and Internal Storage (56.98 MB of 5.36 GB available). Any ideas? I have tried rebooting. I have removed everything that I am not using. I used to have more than this on it and didn't get this message. This has been a recent developement.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 6:50:23 AM PDT
Same thing happening to me as well. Started on March 22nd

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 5:15:49 PM PDT
My daughter's fire shows she has video in the memory. There aren't any videos. It is taking up a lot of space and she can't download other apps. Sims free play is one she has. Others are pinterest, Netflix, stardom, tubebox, and the apps that come with the fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2013 8:37:01 AM PDT
I did find videos too, that didn't show up. Mine showed up when I hooked the fire to the computer and went into the files through the computer. I don't know why they didn't show up, and don't know why or how they got there, but when I deleted them, I have a lot more room now. I don't know why they didn't show up on the kindle itself, instead of when connected to the computer.

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 8:40:11 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 4:20:37 PM PDT
Mug says:
Somebody in another forum said to download the app Clean Master. I had almost no memory, but no books, magazines, music, or videos on my device. Amazon told me the only way to fix it was a factory reset. I downloaded this app instead and it freed up 5 GB. I think it was some old movies that were still on my device even though I deleted them and couldn't see them.

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 11:27:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2013 11:40:45 AM PDT
My sons Kindle Fire 2nd gen says he has 3.7 GB on Apps and Games, but he has only added 3 games to his Kindle in addition to those prefactory installed. He has DragonVale 30 MB, Extreme Roadtrip 2 25MB, Minecraft Pocket Edition 6MB. and LDS Gospel Library(?). Do Apps grow in size as they are played/used? I don't know why the device thinks there is 3 GB when that is all that is on there and it makes Kindle pretty worthless there are many times you will not have access to WiFi and you want to use the Kindle. It says there is 2.7 MB in Audiobooks but when I click the Audiobooks arrow there is nothing on the screen. On Books & Newstand it says there is 754.4 MB and all I have in there now are the two preinstalled dictionaries that I can't delete even though I think one dictionary should be plenty, I have 2 episodes of Little Einsteins downloaded that is 264.6 MB, and that is pretty much all I have. But I can't download anything else because there isn't enough space what the flip?

Just removed a video so I could download Clean Master app that was recommended and found that there are tons of apps from Kindle Free Time Unlimited that are downloaded on the device taking up space.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 11:36:40 AM PDT
Mug says:
Try the Clean Master app. Mine said I had nothing on it, but there were five movies that the app found still on my device. On the app, I went under "history" and "residual files" and it showed them. Completely solved the space issue. Amazon told me the only thing I could to was a factory reset.

Posted on May 9, 2013 3:01:06 PM PDT
Romeotis says:
Clean Master freed up over half the space on my kindle in only a couple of minutes... Thanks!

Posted on May 26, 2013 4:16:31 PM PDT
Mark Tuttle says:
We installed Clean Master and it didn't clear up anything. In fact, it added a couple of meg to the list.

My son's Kindle is still showing 44.8 MB of video and something like 30 MB of pictures yet those directories are empty.

I'm not too keen on doing a factory reset. This is a pretty ridiculous issue. Going to try hooking up to the computer and going in directly through explorer to see if that works. Happy to know if anyone has any success with this.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2013 5:28:23 PM PDT
scoutyjones says:
Thats not alot of bits. MB's dont take up much

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2013 6:15:59 PM PDT
I hooked mine up to the computer and the files showed videos that the Fire itself didn't show under videos. I deleted them and freed up a lot of space.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2013 8:45:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 27, 2013 8:54:51 AM PDT]

Posted on May 28, 2013 10:13:08 AM PDT
LadyWhit says:
The clean master app fixed all the "Internal Memory" problems I was having. It got rid of alot of back up info

Posted on May 28, 2013 11:20:31 AM PDT
Mark Tuttle says:
We tried Clean Master and it really didn't do anything. But, I did connect to my PC and go digging and one thing we found was that the Dark Knight Rises game by boy downloaded, once deleted, still left over 1 gig of crap all over the system that didn't get removed. Getting rid of that freed up some space but it still seems to be showing videos, pictures, and music as taking up space but no files can be found by either Explorer or Clean Master.

Posted on May 28, 2013 11:45:39 AM PDT
scoutyjones says:
maybe do a factory reset and start clean? I would do a backup of all the files first, when connected to the PC just in case I lost something I didn't necessarily have elsewhere

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2013 11:09:53 AM PDT
I am having the same problem with my mom's kindel, low storage and she got rid of everything and now its stuck on low storage where its not connecting to the internet. She deleted the pics where she put her fb pics on kindel she had no ideal she did it. I wanna try to fix this for her without deleting or reseting her kindel.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2013 11:48:03 AM PDT
LadyWhit says:
Try the clean master app. It worked wonders for my Kindle fire, and it didnt mess up any apps or books!

Posted on May 29, 2013 11:49:48 AM PDT
Thanks to whoever first posted the Clean Master app. It cleaned up quite a bit on my Fire.

Posted on May 30, 2013 6:35:15 PM PDT
well i deleted modt of my apps but it keeps saying low on internal space i have no photos or vidro on my kindle at all

Posted on May 31, 2013 2:22:59 AM PDT
Kristin Post says:
I have this problem also and it's getting annoying having to rotate everything around. That's why I am getting the 32 gb Fire HD. I shouldn't have any problems anymore.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  185
Total posts:  312
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2013
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 67 customers

Search Customer Discussions