Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Paperwhite 3G

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2014 11:25:48 AM PDT
Neener V says:
Hello. I'm looking to purchase my 1st Kindle and would like to go with the 3G option. Is there a major difference between the new one and the previous generation? The new one isn't available for 5-7 weeks whereas the previous generation is in stock. Just wasn't sure if I should wait to spend the $10 more than the previous generation that is available now. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 11:30:56 AM PDT
The folks who have both say that the 2nd gen PW has several improvements over the 1st. There are also *rumors* that there's a 3rd gen PW on the near horizon.

If you can wait, you might want to see what's coming.

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 11:37:49 AM PDT
Grimwinder says:
This thread might help-

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx3QEOUIIMK3H6W

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:01:47 PM PDT
Willow3§3 says:
I hear the new one will have the body of the 1st gen Kindle Fire. Not sure how I feel about that. I love the sleekness of the current PW & case, but I want a 3G... Trying to decide if I should wait out the new release or go ahead and buy the 2nd gen. Decisions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:03:25 PM PDT
 Ann says:
The PW 2 screen looks crisper than that on the PW 1, and it is a bit quicker and more responsive. They're not huge differences, though - the 1st-gen Paperwhite is still a great device. With the new software update for the PW 1, it now has most of the same features as the 2nd-gen model.

You'd probably be happy with either one, so it just depends on how long you want to wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:04:31 PM PDT
The body, but of course not the heavy gorilla glass, I assume. I dunno; I think if your 1st gen is a good one (no blotches, etc), I'd wait for the next one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:08:14 PM PDT
Willow3§3 says:
I have a master plan; I bought a 2nd gen for my mother so I can see how it looks. My 1st gen is just fine though, just no 3G.

Not much of a plan, but I have a gift card balance and I'm itching to spend it. Waiting for the new release may be beyond my self control.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:11:53 PM PDT
My 5 e-inks are all wi-fi only. If (don'tneedanotherdon'tneedanother) I buy another one, it'll have to be 3G.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:13:08 PM PDT
Willow3§3 says:
I feel a little better now. I only have 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:13:45 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
I have both Paperwhites in 3G, the first and second generation, and I do like the second generation a little more but the difference is small. With the latest updates to the first generation all the features I care about are on both of them and they work equally well on both. The screen improvements are very small on the new one.

For me the main difference is speed. The new one is a little faster. The old one isn't slow and I never thought of it as slow till I got the new one, but now that the new one has spoiled me a bit the old one seems slow.

Frankly I don't care. I use both, interchangeably. I only notice the old one being slower when I do something other than read. On the home screen, for example. When I'm reading they're the same.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:14:56 PM PDT
Well, 2 are my kids'. I have my original KK, a back-up KK (which was *necessary* of course), then I treated myself to the PW, which was ...y'know... basically unnecessary.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:16:38 PM PDT
Willow3§3 says:
I beg to differ. The PW is absolutely necessary (and awesome!).

(And thanks Barry! I was wondering if I'd even notice a difference in the two.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:18:50 PM PDT
need-need-need-need-need-need-need-need-need-need-need-need

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:21:29 PM PDT
Oh, I do love my little PW. Indeed. :0)

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 12:24:56 PM PDT
Neener V says:
Thanks, all. I think I'm just about sold on the new one...if obviously there was a huge price difference between the two, then I'd take what is in stock now but I'm just hoping it doesn't get delayed even further.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:30:09 PM PDT
Willow3§3 says:
I am leaning towards trying to hold out as well. I just suspect I'll fail.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-17742_7-10019233-7.html

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 12:37:58 PM PDT
Neener V says:
If only there was a loaner Amazon could provide...I'm sure it'll be worth the wait though!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:54:20 PM PDT
It's my understanding that the 3G PW2 has been out of stock since Christmas or before. A bit longer than 5-7 weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 12:57:39 PM PDT
Arieswoman says:
Love my little PW too!

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 1:06:13 PM PDT
GnomeEd says:
I would love it if the came out with a PW with 3G and an audio jack for music and audio books. I understand speakers are heavy(relatively speaking) but surely Ammy can squeeze in an audio jack somewhere. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2014
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions