Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Collections on Kindle Fire?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 137 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2011 12:37:38 AM PDT
dawn reads says:
I've been itching to get the Kindle Fire, but I love my collections too much. From what I see of the screenshots on the website and the videos etc, the Kindle Fire does not seem to support Collections. Anyone noticed anything different or has gotten word from Amazon about it?

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 6:09:08 PM PST
I just read through the Fire User's Guide and see nothing on Collections. For ORGANIZING CONTENT it says to use the Manage Your Kindle page. There best be a whole lot of improvements coming on that page if there are no collections. It also doesn't appear to sort by Author, only by Recent and Title. Again, problems.

The idea appears to be that you will use the SEARCH feature to find what you want. Browsing your whole library is going to mean a lot of swiping. I'm just about at 1000 books and I know others have many, many more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 6:14:49 PM PST
Bufo Calvin says:
dawn, I'll let you know for sure tomorrow. :)

The Kindle Fire User's Guide

http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindle_Fire_Users_Guide.pdf

doesn't mention it.

However, the Kindle Fire help page

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200711000

did earlier today...looks like it's gone, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 6:52:11 PM PST
W. Saboor says:
I'm up to 500 books and the one feature I count on is the Archive. From what I can tell, the KF lists your full library which will include those currently archived. If you "remove from device" you are deleting content from your account totally.
Am I reading correctly?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 6:53:32 PM PST
Steve H. says:
Amazon will need to work on this. One of the reasons I bought the tablet is to improve aspects of finding info(magazine,newspaper etc). I also have a lot of books(over 500) and need a way to quickly find things by collection. They will need to get this right to get good reviews from serious readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 6:54:24 PM PST
W. Saboor says:
I'm up to 500 books and the one feature I count on is the Archive. From what I can tell, the KF lists your full library which will include those currently archived. If you "remove from device" you are deleting content from your account totally.
Am I reading correctly?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 6:56:05 PM PST
Steve H. says:
no -just off of your device -you can always sync to add it back
you have to go into manage your account on the Amazon website to permanently remove content

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 7:05:26 PM PST
Bufo Calvin says:
W. Saboor, you can remove a title from the device without deleting it from your account, just like you can on the Kindle. From page 14 of the Kindle Fire User's Guide:

"To remove content, press and hold on an item to display the contextual menu, then select
Remove from Device. Content purchased from Amazon will remain stored in the Amazon
Cloud in case you want to download it again at a later date."

http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindle_Fire_Users_Guide.pdf

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 9:07:25 AM PST
Jodotcom says:
Oh my goodness! Say it isn't so! I've downloaded ALL the support literature (not much!) for my new Kindle Fire, and the only reference to "collections" mentioned refers to Books, Music, Videos, etc. I MUST have collections (the old Kindle Keyboard type of collection that I created, i.e. Fiction, Non-Fiction, Reference, Business, SciFi, etc.) because I have so many books. Please tell me this will be added in a future (very soon!) update! Please! Otherwise this is almost useless to me as a reader. I'll just keep using my Kindle Keyboard, and use this for something pretty to play with. <shrug>

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 6:50:28 AM PST
I was sooo looking forward to getting my Kindle Fire! Looks like there is room for improvement. Overall I LOVE the Fire, however; there are a couple of what I consider issues that MUST be fixed!
1) COLLECTIONS - I have to have collections (Kindle Keyboard type) that I am able to create. I really don't like not being able to create custom collections. Please, Please, Please make this an upate that is happening VERY VERY SOON.
2) HOME SCREEN - I want to be able to remove the cover of a book that is NOT on my device. I don't like all covers showing. I just want to know which books are on my device. And yes, I know I can do that by going to "Books - Device" but I think this should be what is on the Home screen.
Why is it that when "improvements" are made, some things get worse or are forgotten?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 6:57:17 AM PST
Stewart says:
Humor,
Hey Dawn, calamine lotion will help that itch. The Fire won't, at least for a while. LOL

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 11:39:01 AM PST
Jodotcom says:
Kindle Fire not having "collections" is having the exact opposite affect on me that Amazon intends. I am reluctant to buy more books without collections to organize them in. And I am reluctant to buy apps without folders to organize them in. My considerable number of apps that I enjoy on my iPhone are neatly organized into "folders", which is much the equivalent of Kindle Keyboard's collections. Without that, everything is just a jumbled mess on the Kindle Fire. I am so disappointed ...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 6:09:28 PM PST
J. Mcdowell says:
I am with you 100%

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 8:07:26 PM PST
K. Eyler says:
I agree. I think the ability to have collections are very important.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 4:30:51 AM PST
J. Mcdowell says:
I dont think so. It is still in the cloud when you "remove from device"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 4:36:28 AM PST
J. Mcdowell says:
I prefer the Fire's print over the K3, but what I have to do is keep books in its collection even though I will be reading usually on the KF. I make use of the favorites as much as possible. BTW, I wish people would stop calling it a tablet primarily- speak for yourself! For me it is primarily an e-reader, unfortunately without "Collections"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 8:48:48 AM PST
Steve H. says:
We need collections that match "regular kindles"

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 9:17:08 AM PST
Lesley says:
I don't have a Fire as I live in the UK but from what I have read it seems to me that Amazon don't want you storing books (or anything else) on your device, they just want you to download what you want to watch or read, and then delete it once you are finished, so you can just buy more.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 10:08:52 AM PST
Quixote2 says:
I would like to see named (collection names) book shelves below the existing most recent carousole. Once you click on a book shelf (collection) I would like to see the carousole interface display of the books on that shelf.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 12:08:27 PM PST
NG says:
We need a directory structure, which can have the features of collections but allows directory and file management. This should be common with Android file management and the other Kindle services (apps and their files, pictures, music, videos, etc.) Then we could have our existing collection names and the ability to manage everything on the Fire and in the cloud. After all, the file names and directories are going to ne there whether we have collections or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 12:13:54 PM PST
I AGREE! Wonder when Amazon will respond to our requests?

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 7:53:50 PM PST
C. Grace says:
Just received a Kindle Fire from a wonderful friend (thank you Donna!) for Christmas. I agree with everyone here--need, need, must have collections. I have over 400 pdf files of original fiction that I have loaded to my Kindle keyboard, all neatly divided into collections. It's going to be impossible to have them all on the Fire without collections.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 1:43:10 PM PST
Not having collections is like keeping your dirty laundry out - I support fellow authors, some who write books I don't necessarily read, or want noted as my reading material. Now, when I go to show someone the Kindle Fire, and how it works, blush, blush - so I don't share it. But anyone can pick up your fire and open it and . . . well . . . hopefully this will get sorted.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 9:28:03 PM PST
I feel that not having collections makes the kindle fire more difficult to navigate or to find my books. I miss the ease of the my older kindle. Just get on there go to the eBook I want. I have to have my library organized and without collections it just feels like a scattered mess. I actually won mine but if I had known it was without collections I would have given it as a Christmas gift and kept my Kindle Keyboard. So disappointing that I would never recommend a Kindle fire to anyone. Yes that is how strongly I hate not having collections.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 1:24:05 PM PST
I absolutely agree with needing collections. I upgraded to the Fire from the K2 because I needed more space, and I love that I can do other things like watch movies, play games, etc, on the Fire. However, reading isn't nearly as pleasant as I would have hoped because I can't surf through my collections! When I am in the mood to read a sci-fi novel, or a biography I want to be able to go to those titles quickly, not scroll through the thousands in my library. I'm in agreement with Jodotcom that I'm not buying nearly as much content for my Fire simply because I have no way to organize it all. Please, Amazon, figure out a way for us to get collections on the Fire!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
26 2 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 6302 22 seconds ago
My kindle won't turn on 1700 1 minute ago
Is the cloud considered a retrieval system, if yes, then it is illegal to store Kindle books in the Amazon Cloud that have this written in them??? 7 1 minute ago
Kindle Fire HDX FireOS 13.3.2.6_user_326001820 released 0 3 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage .. the return of.. wait for it... page turn buttons 247 4 minutes ago
Side loading on Kindle fire HDX 50 6 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 3010 7 minutes ago
Misplaced reviews 7 9 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  76
Total posts:  137
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2011
Latest post:  15 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions