Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Is the light banding at the bottom of the Paperweight a manufacturing flaw?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2012 3:23:28 PM PDT
John Salerno says:
Just curious if maybe it's an anomaly that could be fixed in later productions. I had the thought that maybe that's why there is a 4-6 week delay on ordering them now. Seems a bit excessive, even if it IS a popular product right now.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 1:16:12 PM PDT
It is a feature! No not really. The way the device is built there is no way without a major re-manufacture to remedy this.
I'm on my second Whitepaper and its LEDd are slightly less noticeable than the first one I had. So there is some variability.I have visions of tiny people running like hell dropping LEDs and another coming right behind with a hot glue gun.

If the lights are machine assembled it is one shaky machine. That said it is an easy device to read on and as one becomes involved in the books plot the 'shades of grey' seem to go away. I'm quite please and I am a bit picky. YMMV of course!

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 1:21:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 1:22:13 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
The shadowing at the bottom of the page is normal, there are photos on the product page now that show how it is suppose to look.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_365798002_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000841001&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=10PABWHKPXEP1PN3EK2P&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1404805882&pf_rd_i=1000841011

Those 4 shadows at the bottom are where the LED lights are, it takes a bit of space before the light hits the diffusion layer for the light to be spread out evenly on the screen.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 1:22:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 1:22:30 PM PDT
No. It's a design limitation. ALL PW have banding at the bottom. This is due to the placement of 4 LED at the bottom of the device. You see the banding because the light is darker between the space of the 4 LED. The banding shouldn't disturb you from reading because it is at the very bottom and doesn't include the area when you read the text.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 3:26:18 PM PDT
John Salerno says:
Thanks guys. I wonder if a single, long LED at the bottom would have looked better...

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 3:28:45 PM PDT
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57531472-94/amazon-to-users-hey-the-kindle-paperwhite-isnt-perfect/

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 3:45:06 PM PDT
Maybe if the LED's were countersunk a bit further into the case (towards the bottom of the device), then the banding wouldn't be so noticeable. It's unfortunate for those of us who actually watched the unveiling address, that everyone was misdirected so much. It's always been better, in my opinion, to be forthright with anything, than to minimize the faults in order to sell devices. I think it would have definitely cut down on the complaints once received. Complaints when announced? Might have been different...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 3:53:11 PM PDT
John Salerno says:
"Amazon preemptively discloses some potential shortcomings in its latest Kindle e-reader compared with previous models, most likely to get out in front of user complaints."

Seriously? Posting this information two weeks after the release date (and probably a month, at least, after pre-orders were made) is getting "out in front" of the complaints? Seems a bit more like responding to all the complaints, to me.

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 5:56:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2012 5:56:50 PM PDT
BG says:
Can someone confirm something for me because I've sent my PW back. I've been looking at these new pictures that Amazon posted on the site where it acknowledged the issues with the screen. If you've seen them you'll notice that the pictures are all with the light meter on the screen so the menu is also on the screen at the top

My question is I don't remember the bottom "menu" ever looking like that. I know for certain that when I was reading all that there was at the bottom was time to read at the bottom left (and if you touched on it, it would rotate to location and time left in the book) and on the bottom right there was the % read.

I dont remember the bottom menu look as shown in the picture where it shows all the different info in the 5 locations. If it does look like this does it only look like this when you're accessing the top menu

The reason I'm curious about this is the text of the book in this picture looks much higher than it did on my Kindle. In these pictures the text doesn't seem at all effected by he light. So I'm curious if when bottom menu the disappears, whether its hiding text behind it that goes lower on the screen than shown here.

If the text had been that high above the shading I might have kept the PW

Here's the link to the pics again for easy reference. Hope my question is clear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_365798002_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000841001&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1E921396RNZ8NMVR97E7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1404805882&pf_rd_i=1000841011

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 6:03:39 PM PDT
TuxGirl says:
When the menu is open, it does have a larger menu at the bottom.

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 6:05:06 PM PDT
BG says:
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 8:36:53 PM PDT
John Salerno says:
Good question. If you're right, that means the light issue may actually affect some of the bottom text when reading.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 3:36:20 AM PDT
You could always rotate it into landscape mode and then the affected area will be the left margin (no text). Doing this for the current book. Either way, unless you're OCD, it seems to disappear while reading. I find it far better than a separate reading light, regardless of the "defect".

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 6:27:47 AM PDT
Mary McManus says:
I have a Paperwhite and am perfectly happy with it. The slight smudging at the bottom does not get in the way of my reading and it is 100 times better than reading a regular Kindle with attached light. Also be aware that if you had the Nook with Glow light, the lighting comes from the TOP and would be in your face all the time. I for one am happy to have it at the bottom. One youtube review which shows this well is a comparison of that Nook with the Kobo Glo, the latter not being yet available in the US.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 8:47:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 8:51:25 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
There are undoubtedly PW's with manufacturing defects. It's not unusual in initial production runs. But the lighting is not a design flaw. Consider the following "thought experiment."

Imagine a large dark warehouse. At one end of the warehouse sits an automobile and distributed throughout the warehouse are translucent cones that reflect some light at various angles and allow some light to pass through them and between them. You turn on the automobile's headlights. The lights illuminate the cones, some hit with direct light, some with reflected light from other cones. The light diffuses throughout the warehouse. But at the point where the light emerges from the headlights, the beams are well defined and the area just outside the beams are dark. Putting the car in reverse and backing it up will reduce this effect but at the expense of uniformity in the diffused light throughout the warehouse. To avoid this, you can put more powerful headlights on the car. But doing that will drain the battery more quickly.

This is essentially the design of the PW. The leds at the bottom of the screen are "headlights" placed at an optimum distance to provide as much uniformity in the main reading areas as possible given the power of the leds. If a particular led is "mis-aimed" it may reduce the uniformity of the diffused light across the entire screen. Likewise, if the color "temperature" of one more led's varies from "nominal," it may produce a tint in a portion of the entire screen as the light is diffused.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 9:27:01 AM PDT
BG says:
One thing that I've learned in these forums is the term OCD has been redefined as if something that doesn't bother you, bothers me, then I'm OCD.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 9:31:46 AM PDT
Seems like it barely existed 20 years ago, These days it seems as as common as type O blood. Either we have got crazier or we are defining OCD differently .. Just don't know

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 9:07:47 AM PDT
Lori Riley says:
kindle fire suddenly started doing that banding this morning. hasnt done that before. this is NOT normal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 9:09:56 AM PDT
Lori, look at the dates and the subject line of this thread. It is almost 2 years old, and is about the first gen Paperwhite, not a Fire.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4190 2 minutes ago
My Kindle Fire is frozen... 49 3 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2695 3 minutes ago
bookmarks android reader 25 4 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7984 4 minutes ago
How to disable "On Deck"? 10 17 minutes ago
On deck downloads 3 18 minutes ago
Mr.Spock son of Serek for President 24 25 minutes ago
Kindle Fire update with On Deck 6 51 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 7831 58 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Oct 11, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions