Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Happy positive thoughts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 89 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2012 12:08:52 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
I know that there are a lot of concerns and disappointments with the kindle family and we have plenty of threads to complain. I wanted to start a thread for all the positive stuff that we like about the entire kindle family. So post what your favorite(s) features are with any of the existing or upcoming kindles. Or how do you use your kindle...work, kids, school, fun...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:16:23 PM PDT
Boo-Dittie says:
Hey, thanks, Theo!

My favorite feature of all them is that I can enlarge the text. The dictionary is awesome! I also love that other family members on my account can read the same thing I'm reading at the same time, even though they're miles and miles away.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:21:17 PM PDT
Kessa says:
So refreshing! Thanks!

One of my favorite things I like to do is use Kindle Cooking & put my recipes on there & then send them to my Kindle - they come out like an eBook with a linkable TOC.

Very helpful for someone like me - vision problems.

Of course, I love that there are different font sizes.

I like that I can carry many books with me wherever I go & have many choices to choose from at any given time.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 12:22:10 PM PDT
dfn.ninja says:
To many reasons to list how awesome the kindle is. But I'd have to say number one is still reading, even on the fire.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 12:22:56 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
My favorite thing about all of the kindles is the ability to travel with my entire library everywhere I go. I recently went on vacation and it was nice not having to pack my cookbooks. I used to take a bookbag full of them with me, now a 25 oz tablet is all I carry.

I like being able to put my kkb 3g in a waterproof case and being able to read in the bubble bath or at the pool without fear of getting the pages wet. Can't tell you how many times I have knocked over the shampoo bottle, had it splash on my pages and made the book unreadable until it dried.

When my daughter was a baby and I was feeding her, it was impossible to hold a book until I started using the kindle. I would often read to her from whatever I was reading, and sometimes downloaded books for children.

I'm looking forward to listening to audio books on my kindle fire hd at work. I never thought to use my 3g with speakers to listen to books before. Heck, I never used an audio book until my inlaws loaned us one for a long drive. I listen to my headphones at work, and I will be downloading books to listen to while I type.

After my kkb3g died, I have had to use my thrive as an ereader. I love my thrive but it is way too heavy to read one handed, and holding it up while reading in bed is heavy with two hands. I am looking forward of the lightweight of my pw and even the fire hd compared to the thrive.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:27:18 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
I love being able to change the font. Sometimes when I am at work, I make the font large and prop it up and read it from across my desk. I also like the dictionary. I know all of us have come across at least one word were we didn't know the meaning of while reading. Often we can figure it out by the way it's used in a sentence, sometimes we can't. It is a distraction to have to go find a dictionary when you are in the middle of a good book, and a distraction to continue reading while wondering what the word means. I love highlighting, getting a definition, and moving on. I think it's improving my vocabulary. :D

My mother and I often read the same books and I bought her a kindle on my account. It's saving us money because now we aren't shipping books back and forth.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:30:50 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
I never heard of kindle cooking! Wow. I just looked it up. I can't wait to start using this. I have been typing my recipes in a word document and emailing them to myself so that I can pull them up. This works great unless you are on a device that can't open word document.

Thanks. Another positive about having a thread like this is learning about features you didn't know about :D

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:36:33 PM PDT
Boo-Dittie says:
Even more than the cost of shipping books back and forth, the time factor can be a big deal. My dad was admitted to the hospital last night and I'm over a hundred miles away. I have a physical disability and my getting there to see him today is not possible. But my brother went to his house this morning and grabbed his Kindle for him and I just sent him some e-books to download over wi-fi. Now he's got lots of reading material to keep occupied while he waits for test results and I don't have to feel quite so terrible that I just can't get there today. Tomorrow's another day and maybe I can go visit him, maybe he'll be released by then, but he doesn't watch TV and I would hate to think of how bored he'd be without something good to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:40:28 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Hope it turns out to be nothing serious, Dittie.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 12:42:39 PM PDT
M. Kirst says:
Hi! I had the original iPad when I got my Fire last year. I did side by side tests loading webpages by WiFi and the Fire always beat the iPad 1 by a sizable margin. That's my good story and I'm sticking to it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:45:11 PM PDT
Boo-Dittie says:
Aw, thanks. I hope so, too.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 12:48:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012 12:50:30 PM PDT
1. Kindle saves the environment because we don't need to cut trees to print books.
2. Kindle touch is the perfect device to get if one wants to have the fastest access to a dictionary. Just tap the word and you will get the definition immediately. Pretty handy especially when reading fiction books.
3. Kindle books are cheaper than printed books. The initial price of Kindle e-reader might be expensive but it will pay for itself if you read a lot of books
4. Kindle saves a lot of space and makes portable reading a reality. You can have hundreds of books in a small device less than one inch thick.
5. Kindle will encourage people to buy more books and educate themselves. Too many people wasting their time watching stupid TV shows, listening to stupid music or playing violent video games.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:51:08 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
I hope your dad has a speedy recovery. One of my co-workers was diagnosed with cancer and had to go on medical leave. She loves amazon and my department got her a fire and amazon gift cards just before she went on leave. The team wanted her to have something to read while she was having chemo treatments.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:53:01 PM PDT
Boo-Dittie says:
Thanks. What an awesome thing to do for your co-worker. Good thoughts going to her.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:56:58 PM PDT
I'm really excited about the Paperwhite Kindle - so much so that I ordered the wifi only version a few hours after its announcement even though I don't need another Kindle. I can't wait to get it and start reading on it. This will be my first touch screen e-ink Kindle, so that's another new feature that I'll have to get used too. I'm stoked to say the least. The new Fires look extremely compelling as well, but my first gen Fire is going strong, so I'm going to pass on a new Fire for the time being. I'm actually waiting to see if Apple announces an iPad mini next week. If so, I'm definitely getting it. Kindles are my first love though, no question about that. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:57:26 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
I really like the saving the trees bit. I usually don't like touch devices, but you have a point about the ease of highlighting.
As for three, I think the kindle has cost me a lot of money....I buy more books now...lol
4. I have started packing away all my hard copy books or donating them if I have the kindle version. I have 3 bookshelves and really need 3 more to hold all my books. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had hard copies of all my kindle books.
5. They say that kindle owners read 4 times more books than non kindle owners (I'm sure that other ereader owners read more too). My daughter is taking after me and likes gadets, I am hoping that this means she will like reading more if it's on a gadget :D I never thought I would be the type of parent that restricts tv, but we started doing so recently. When she says Barney, we say lets read a barney book.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:57:50 PM PDT
Kessa says:
That is how I did my recipes, before finding Kindle Cooking. I love it!

I can cut & paste recipes from the Internet & put them on there.

I can send it to my Kindle & when I add more, I can send them & the older ones will be on there, too. I just have to delete the older "recipe eBook" so that I don't get them confused.

I think you will like it. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 1:01:02 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
This will be my first touch screen kindle. I have a tablet but I've not been happy with it as a reader due to weight. As Julius said, the highlighting feature on the touch is really easy to use the dictionary.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 1:02:04 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
I could probably look this up, but does it work with the kindle app too?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 1:07:18 PM PDT
Kessa says:
I do not think so, but it couldn't hurt to look it up.

It shows up on your MYK page under your Personal Documents.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 3:16:34 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
I don't need another Kindle (have a KK and a baby) but I like the idea of the paperwhite screen. Not crazy about touch page -turning. But from looking at the video, I think I can deal with it. It seems to be more like button pushing than swiping.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:18:40 PM PDT
Agreed about the "button pushing" aspect, though I'm pretty use to touchscreen everything else. That front lit screen just beckons to me for some reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:19:26 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Don't go into the light!

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 4:33:20 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
Lol. I want buttons too but the lighted screen will be great. I bought an external light but it puts a glare on my screen and I have to move it as I read.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 5:20:37 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
bump
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  89
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions