Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle text-to-speech

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 21, 2013 7:02:53 PM PST
M. Vitek says:
I am filled with dismay. The reason I have bought at least 13 kindles for my family and myself is bc of the text-to-speech feature. I adore (as do ALL the family members) being able to read while getting dressed and have the story be read to me, then turn it off and just read during breakfast, then turn it on while driving to work. If I awaken in the night, it "reads me to sleep" again. Why oh why is this feature not on the latest Kindles? I live in FEAR that my Kindle will break. I have a Nook, too, that I NEVER use bc it's such a pain to not have text-to-speech. I have more than 200 titles on my Kindle, ONE on the Nook. (only bc it was not available on Kindle.) I am reading JOHN ADAMS right now and going crazy bc it is not text-to-speech enabled, and it is a MASSIVE book. Please tell me WHY the new paperwhite Kindle lacks text-to-speech? Is this the end of that feature? Do I have to buy audiobooks now? Thanks for help. I am really distressed immeasurably about this. I have sold many Kindles to elderly patients of mine who need the huge letters and/or the sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:06:42 PM PST
King Al says:
The Paperwhite lacks ANY audio capability' so TTS is obviously not going to work. The Kindle Keyboard and the current Fires have TTS.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:27:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013 7:28:09 PM PST
Just because some models don't offer it does not mean it is going away. I personally have never used tts and never would. I don't like audio books, either. Why should there not be some Kindles for people like me, who don't want to use or pay for, the sound capabilities some other models have?

And if the book has had tts disabled, it does not matter whether the Kindle has the capability or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:27:13 PM PST
The Artist says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:30:12 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
Every Kindle made does NOT have to have the same features. Not everyone needs audio and text to speech.

Amazon decided to not have audio on the Paperwhite to keep the costs down for the first model of the Paperwhite.

Maybe the next model will have text to speech. It is good to have a variety of models. Get the model that works for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:44:33 PM PST
M. Vitek says:
Thank you. I did understand that, but have worried that since the Kindle always labels the TTS as "experimental feature", that when it did not appear on the paperwhite it was being discarded. The trouble with the Fires is that they are very bright and not the nice "paper" appearance of the regular-sized Kindles. I thought the Kindle Keyboard was no longer being produced, therefore only available 2nd hand. Am I mistaken about this?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:46:54 PM PST
Sheila (NJ) says:
The kindle Keyboard is still available but only the 3g/wifi version, not the wifi only version. It's $139 with special offers.

Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:48:14 PM PST
M. Vitek says:
Thank you for replying. Yes, I understand fully that if a book is not TTS enabled, it cannot be listened to. My point was that I was finding it frustrating to read an enormous book like JOHN ADAMS and have to keep setting it down, when the TTS feature on books enabled that way are such a pleasure. I have no problem with your desire to NOT have certain features. I just thought that there could be a paperwhite (which I would very much like to own) with the TTS feature, also.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:51:56 PM PST
Sheila (NJ) says:
I'm hoping that the next generation of paperwhites have one version with audio capability too. Don't forget to write to Amazon with your wishes, if there is enough of a demand, they will produce it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:54:02 PM PST
M. Vitek says:
My goodness, I had no idea people would be so angered for someone to express an opinion! WHINING was not what I intended, just dismay and concern. "Stop whining"would indicate I have repeatedly made the same point of complaint. I am offended at your tone. I DID read the product page, which is why I DID NOT buy the PaperWhite. I am certain you have helped many other people on this website, so please continue. However, this will be the last time I go to this website for ANY Qs about Kindle. I do not need to be chastised, and I do not believe others who write for help have that expectation either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:55:33 PM PST
But if the book is available on Kindle, it isn't any heavier than the Kindle itself, tts or no.

We all want different things from our devices. I'd like to see a PaperWhite without a touch screen. Will it ever happen? I don't know. All we can do is let Amazon know what we want; the rest is up to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:55:37 PM PST
M. Vitek says:
Thank you, Sheila, for a kind, non-judgemental response, that is not just useful, but also does not insult me for asking a question. Your response was a pleasure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:57:11 PM PST
M. Vitek says:
Thank you. I hope you are right! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 8:00:00 PM PST
M. Vitek says:
Believe it or not, I THOUGHT writing on this forum was a way of letting Amazon know that I missed the feature. Thanks for your answers!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 9:01:40 PM PST
The Artist says:
My gosh, if you don't think you were whining, I'm sorry for the people around you who have to listen to you in person!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 11:14:03 AM PDT
j.viager says:
The Kindle Fires do have text to speech capability, but it is disabled on the Kindle app for Android even though many Android apps have text to speech. Speech enabled books from Amazon do not work on the Kindle Fires, I bought one but returned it because of this issue, I have a print disability. With some difficulty I got in contact with Amazon about it and they said they would fix this issue but they have not.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 11:16:32 AM PDT
Some publishers don't allow TTS to be enabled.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 11:23:36 AM PDT
Current Fires do have TTS. It may be disabled on some books, but it is there.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 11:44:48 AM PDT
j.viager says:
Almost all publishers disable text to speech, but I specifically bought a book with text to speech enabled. it did not work on my second generation Fire. I was in contact with Amazon about it. The text to speech function on the Fire works, but the Kindle for Android app does not support therefor Kindle books cannot be played with text to speech on the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 11:48:34 AM PDT
Almost all publishers, in fact, do not disable TTS, and the ones that are enabled do work on Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 11:48:45 AM PDT
j.viager says:
Current Fires do have some TTS functionality, but most available accessibility apps are not available on the Kindle apps store. And the Kindle for Android that runs on the Fire and other Android devices does not have TTS even for books with TTS enabled.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 11:49:56 AM PDT
j.viager says:
Please show me how

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 11:51:13 AM PDT
What is the point of a Kindle for Android app on Kindle Fire when it supports TTS natively?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 11:54:46 AM PDT
j.viager says:
It is my experience in looking for Kindle books on Amazon that almost all publishers block TTS even on some books covering disability. Do you know of any publishers who do not routinely block TTS.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 12:00:02 PM PDT
j.viager says:
The Kindle Fire is an Android device when Amazon made their own Kindle device they wrote and Android app to play their proprietary format Kindle books. The Kindle app for Android comes with all Fires it is how the Fire plays Kindle format books. The Kindle for Android app can also be downloaded for other Android devices. It does not currently support TTS though they have said they will, I hope so.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Jan 21, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions