Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

To Kill A mockingbird

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 95 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 6:49:13 PM PST
Steve W says:
Is there a Kindle edition to kill a mockingbird available? if not, is there a reason for it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:53:21 PM PST
No, there is not. The author (and her agent) will not allow any ebook versions of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:15:48 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
Nope no ebook of that book. The author refuses to release it for ebook.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:58:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 4:05:19 AM PST
Thanks for posting, though. I thought we might go a week with this question being asked again. I will admit it's interesting though. Sadly, "To Kill a Mockingbird" is destined to fall into obscurity. In 1438, Hermann Fazzblintzer refused to have his book, his only book, printed on a Guttenberg Press. An illuminated work was all he would allow and insisted that anything else cheapened the work. In a few more years, Harper Lee will be as well known as Hermann.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:29:52 AM PST
 nospin  says:
Actually there is an ebook version on bookshare.org- the service for the visually impaired and handicapped.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:37:26 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I just made my own copy. Takes some time but worth it if you want it on Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:46:28 AM PST
 nospin  says:
Can you make the font bigger your way or are you stuck with the published font size?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:49:00 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It works just like any other ebook. I used OCR software to scan the pages. Of course this is not perfect and you will have to go through and fix the errors. I just took my time and did 3-4 pages a night and fixed the errors as I went along.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:12:26 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
At first it bothered me that some authors don't want their books as ebooks, then one day it struck me "that person is an artist. It is just like some painters don't want prints made of their works. When I create something (painting, drawing, quilting, software, crafting) I have my ideas of how and when it should be presented. Writers have that same right."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:15:57 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I agree. That is why I took the time to make my own copy. I don't expect authors to put it into a format they don't agree with.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:19:46 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
The only problem with that is that most paper books say in the front "is not to be reproduced in any form without consent". So as long as you aren't distributing it, then it comes down to personal decision about what is ethical behavior in this case. We all have different ethics in various situations.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:26:58 AM PST
B. Marks says:
I certainly agree that authors have the right to make certain choices about their books. And if I bought the book I'd feel totally free to ignore their choices. And yes I do know that legally I'm just buying the right to read the book and no, I couldn't care less.

We're not talking about distributing illegal copies. We're talking about putting the book into a form to make it usable in the modern world.

James Clavell refused to allow his books to be made into audiobooks. He left instructions to that effect in his will. It didn't take long to find ways around that and I was able to listen to his books during a time when poor eyesight kept me from reading. I don't deny that Clavell had that right and I really don't care.

We might not see digital versions of Harper Lee's books while she's alive but I suspect that'll change after her death. As it should. That book is now part of our culture. It transcends her.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:33:04 AM PST
I'm sure Ms.Lee would be deeply gratified to know that you like her book so much that you can't wait for her to die, to be able to find a way around her wishes, and get it on your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:34:41 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Have ever created something original? If so, do you feel it okay for people to go against your wishes of how that item can be copied and used?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:53:29 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I personally have no problems doing this for my personal use. It is hard for me to read paper books anymore but I still like reading the books. I am not hurting anyone by doing this and the author doesn't know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:56:28 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
If I created something original and wanted people to enjoy it I would have no problem with them turning it into any format they needed to to enjoy it. As long as they bought an original copy to begin with that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:21:34 AM PST
B. Marks says:
That doesn't even remotely resemble what I said.

I do like the book. I've read it about every 5 or 6 years. I listened to the audiobook about a year ago, read nicely by Sissy Spacek.

I have nothing but respect for Harper Lee. I also have a lot of respect for our culture, of which her book is an important part.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:29:39 AM PST
Did you like the audiobook? The way she pronounced some things drove me crazy, and I thought she was very lacking in emotion.

She said "Jem" as "Jim" which really bugged me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:36:44 AM PST
B. Marks says:
I'm retired from a long career as a computer programmer. I created much in the way of software that was original, both for myself and for companies who employed me. The programs that I wrote for myself and my friends were freely passed around. A few became mildly popular. I had no interest in controlling how they were used or distributed.

I do realize that Harper Lee's book, unlike my little hobby programs, was a commercial venture, at least in part. I don't advocate not paying for it.

Her book was also an artist effort, and a good one. And I do agree that an artist has certain legal and moral rights. I'm willing to respect the legal rights rather than put myself at risk. I'm willing to respect the moral rights, up to a point. I would be very much against that book going out of print, which could happen as paper books fade away. It's too important a book, much more important than her right to let it die.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:42:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 7:43:49 AM PST
B. Marks says:
I did like her narration a lot. I noticed the change in pronunciation and I wonder if that was done in consultation with the author.

I was on the Audiobook Publisher's Association's listserve for years, in which a lot of audiobook narrators participated, and there was a lot of discussion about pronunciation issues. Narrators do consult with authors about pronunciation and they take it very seriously. It's pretty common to spend time researching pronunciation and there are a number of problems that they have to deal with, for example, how to pronounce a location name that the country as a whole pronounces one way but that the locals pronounce in a very different way. Do they use the local pronunciation, which is, of course, correct, or do they make the same mistake the public makes in pronouncing it so they'll sound correct.

I should mention that I was in that listserve as an audiobook listener. I'm not part of that industry or the association.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:45:06 AM PST
Harper Lee was involved in the movie. If Jem was supposed to be pronounced "Jim" then I expect the movie characters would have said it that way.

I just think she was very flat in her reading. Not terrible, but not great either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:15:53 AM PST
T. Cannon says:
I am always interested in other's personal ethics on these types of issues. Jazzy_Jeff would you feel the same way about making your own copy of a print book that was available in a Kindle format so long as you had purchased your own copy, or is it just that Harper Lee has left you no other choice if you want her book in this format?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:17:11 AM PST
I typically find actors doing audiobooks are more miss than hit when it comes to narrations...I tend to avoid them when looking at narrators now

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:26:39 AM PST
B. Marks says:
I realize you didn't ask me but I have a big mouth so I'll answer anyway. :)

I wouldn't have any problem with doing that in either case. If I bought the book the author got paid. We're square. How I read the book is my decision. That might not be the legally correct answer but it's a comfortable answer to me.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:28:39 AM PST
I feel the same way. As long as I'm not selling it or passing it out, it is for my use. I have bought at least 3 copies of TKAM over the years, and have had copies bought for me as gifts. If I want to take the time to scan one for my personal use, I don't see a problem.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Printing from Kindle for PC 53 7 seconds ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2615 53 seconds ago
OASIS: Please Amazon! 246 1 minute ago
Amazon Echo 9073 3 minutes ago
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 172 7 minutes ago
Who To Contact? Whispersync For Voice out of...sync. 13 8 minutes ago
Kindle turns on when I speak to echo 2 12 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 661 19 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4149 22 minutes ago
Kindle use on Ipad Mini 352 26 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  95
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions