Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Move library book from PC to Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2011 10:38:53 AM PDT
Judy Haug says:
I have a library book that has been downloaded to my Kindle library here on Amazon. I wanted to transfer it to the Kindle via USB cable...but it is not working. I see the book on my PC download directory. The directions say to copy the file to your Kindle "harddrive". I don't show a Kindle harddrive. I tried to copy to the "e drive" and I get the message that says that drive is not formatted. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011 11:01:37 AM PDT
Bridget Ruth says:
When you open "My Computer" the kindle should show up like a USB drive. You put the library books in the documents file. If that doesn't work, you can start over. With the kindle already plugged in, go to the Manage Your Kindle page on the Amazon site and find the library book. On the far right of the page is a dropdown arrow and one of the options should be to "Download and transfer via USB". Choose that and then it'll ask you (again) which Kindle you want. This time, when the save or open dialog box comes up and you pick save, go straight to the kindle's documents folder.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 6:25:06 PM PDT
Kaye Carp says:
I'm having no luck transferring via usb from my computer to the Kindle. I get a message saying the book cannot be opened, please remove it from the device and start over. I've been through the steps dozens of times, can't figure it out. grrrrrr

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 6:42:28 PM PDT
I do this for my old Kindle 2 which doesn't have WiFi.

As Bridget said, make sure you copy the book to the DOCUMENTS folder on the Kindle. In fact, what I do is connect the Kindle to my PC, and download the book directly to it's documents folder from Amazon, without downloading it first to a PC folder.

Also, try doing a 'Save-As' instead of a Save so you can pick where to put it. Make sure when you do this that the file type (under the file name) isn't some weird thing. That happens sometimes in Windows where a default for filetypes got changed somehow.

Good luck!

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 6:47:29 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
Kathleen, that sounds like you may not have specified that Kindle when you downloaded the book. You need to choose

Transfer via computer

when you are on the book's Amazon product page. You'll then be asked to spiecify a device, and the file will be coded for that Kindle.

That may not be the problem, but what you are describing sounds like it.

For help with Kindle transfers, see

http://www.amazon.com/kindletransfer

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 7:44:18 PM PDT
Anastassia says:
Bob -

I did not know you could download a book to the Documents folder without first putting it in a PC folder. Thanks !
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Oct 26, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions