Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

doctor sleep

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 23, 2013 5:33:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2013 5:41:17 PM PDT
Anyone else highly looking forward to this book by stephen king. Hard to believe he's putting out a sequel to the shining after all these years.
I've had the ebook preordered for awhile.

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 5:48:45 PM PDT
NW Cooper says:
Yes, definitely. Got it at an awesome price too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 6:02:01 PM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
Yes, but I've decided to re-read The Shining before reading the sequel.

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 6:16:44 PM PDT
I love Amazon-I got mine a day early! :) (Of course they also love me and the $ I spend!)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 6:38:53 PM PDT
You must have preordered the hardcover?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 7:22:19 PM PDT
Yep! And I had the day off. Bonus! :)

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 7:39:34 PM PDT
Nina says:
I'm a King fan going back to Salem's Lot in '75. Over the years I've liked about 2/3 of his books and couldn't make it through the rest.

The Shining. . . oh wow, that was a good one! I read it when it first came out. And, early this year, I listened to the Audible version (exceptionally well read by Campbell Scott).

I'm looking forward to Doctor Sleep. Love that King's following up with Danny & a little sad that he's gonna be put through hell again. (It IS King, after all.) I sure hope it meets expectations!

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 8:14:25 PM PDT
Perry says:
Here are the links for the lazy
The Shining
Doctor Sleep: A Novel (The Shining Book 2)

The Shining dropped in price from $5.99 to $3.99 a couple weeks ago, most likely to promote the new book. I imagine that the price will go back up very soon once the new book is out.

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 8:49:50 PM PDT
Susan J. Riggle, I'm so envious! I am waiting for midnight & the arrival of my copy! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 8:50:22 PM PDT
Looking forward to Dr. Sleep. Wish he would do a sequel to The Stand. Currently rereading IT, just as scary as when I read it the first time so many years ago. Amazing the number of references to his other works.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 10:26:55 PM PDT
Joseph Perry says:
Hi there!
I ordered my Kindle cope about two weeks ago and it's almost 1:30AM Eastern Time and Doctor Sleep still hasn't shown up on my Kindle. I plan up staying another hour or so just to see if it shows up. Have you gotten yours yet? Please post to let me know, if you don't mind...I'd appreciate it SO much!
Thanks so much!
Joey

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 1:48:30 AM PDT
Hi Joseph,

Yes, my copy downloaded to my PW at midnight PST on the dot. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 6:35:54 AM PDT
You probably have your copy by now, but for FYI new eBooks are often released at midnight Pacific Time, but I've received quite a few early.

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 11:39:42 AM PDT
Surveyah says:
I received my copy already....i had forgotten i pre-ordered it lol

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 3:36:52 PM PDT
I'm 14% into it now, and am really enjoying it. Another hit for Stephen King. :-)

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 3:43:37 PM PDT
Joseph Perry says:
Cool! I can't wait to start it! Mine showed up on my kindle just as I was getting into bed. I shut it off. I knew if I started it there would be no stopping me! I bet it's GREAT! Is it EXTREMELY scary? Oh, I hope so!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 3:58:45 PM PDT
Im 10% in and also really like this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 5:55:59 PM PDT
Pamela says:
Dare I ask, did you like UTD, Talisman, or the Dark Tower series? Thanks! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 6:15:15 PM PDT
I loved The Dark Tower. I enjoyed UTD, but Talisman was so-so for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 6:39:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2013 6:40:06 PM PDT
Pamela says:
Didn't want to sway you, so I didn't mention that I was very bored with UTD and Talisman (too much fantasy). I never tried Dark Tower series so can't comment, but imagine it to be similar to Talisman (more fantasy). I also didn't care for a couple of other of his more fantasy books. Should I take Doctor Sleep or leave it???

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 6:46:57 PM PDT
Pamela, if you didn't preorder it, why not get a sample? Also, since it is a sequel to The Shining, I would assume it will be similar to that book. I don't have time to read it now, unfortunately, so I can't provide further information. I did preorder it, and hope to get to it in the next few months.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 7:13:22 PM PDT
Pamela says:
I appreciate your input. I'm not going to go by a sample because that's how I got caught with Talisman. Started out great, even UTD, but then both got boring for different reasons that were not obvious in the samples.

I pretty much trust Susan's taste, from years of exposure on the forum, and just want her input.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 7:51:38 PM PDT
Pamela, The Shining is nothing like any of Kings later novels, such as the ones that you've mentioned here. It's very much a psycho-thriller/horror novel, with a bit of supernatural involved. Dr. Sleep should be similar - not boring, not even close to fantasy, and not as "far out there" as the fantastic Dark Tower series. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 8:35:32 PM PDT
Pamela says:
Great to see you!!

I've read The Shining and loved it, just don't want to get caught again unaware. I've spent soooooo much on books I later hate. If I'm going to spend it I really need to make sure this one is nothing like the ones I mentioned. Now, I just need to hear from readers of Doctor Sleep. :) Are you in process?

Please let me know what you think. I can't read reviews because of spoilers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 10:17:03 PM PDT
Pamela,

I'm now 20% into Doctor Sleep and I'm liking it a lot. If you liked The Shining you should go for it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions