Customer Discussions > Life forum

Welfare-...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 25, 2010 4:07:50 PM PDT
Welfare - Are people abusing the system?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2010 8:16:48 PM PDT
sorry for the delay (a flat stanley project I was trying to complete)

Perfect topic: I am afraid we are going to agree on this one (but I like how you neglected to put your take on it in....

Anywhoo, I am going to go out on a limb here and say YES!

My understand was that it was not created to be what it has evolved into. I thought that it was supposed to be a stop gap kinda measure where people would be able to recover from a lost job or what have you-but now generations of families come down the line and Uncle Sam is the new 'daddy'.

The sanctions (that were a part of welfare reform) are a joke and there is no real incentive to 'retire'.

I'll shut up now and wait for your take (also, would you consider a repost of your airline travel thingy in the goldbox forum-you can write about anything you want there according to the rules) alot more activity there due to the people that constantly check in on the goldbox deals.

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 1:37:24 PM PDT
I didn't put my take, sorry, I was in a rush, figured I would get the convo started then add my opinion... off to another meeting/

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 6:34:44 AM PDT
T. Michael says:
what you don't seem to realize, is that there are MANY working poor who NEED assistance to put food on the table! I'm a single, WORKING mother, but it's not enough. I've worked since I was 16, and I know there are plenty of people like me. It just burns me up that small minded, SNOBS think that they are so much better because they aren't poor. I hate to say it, but I do wish on them that they lose their jobs and all their money-lets see them look down their noses then.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2010 3:48:33 AM PDT
First off,

Yes, there are people who are trying to make it and need assistance. This is not what is meant by abusing the system. Abusing the system is not taking any initiative to get a job, or people who collect welfare yet work off the books.
What really burns ME UP is how people think the middle class is just SWIMMING in money. By my salary, I am considered middle class... Yet, I live paycheck to paycheck, have no savings, and if I am lucky I am left with a hundred dollars each month after all the bills are paid. I don't drive an expensive car, live in a small townhouse with my kids, but pay over 10K a year in taxes...
It is the taxpayers money being used with welfare, so, yes, I think we have a right to gripe about people abusing it!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2010 8:46:32 AM PDT
Christina,
You must lead an interesting life given your liking for throwing fat on the fire (small pun related to your airline post). Undoubtedly, there are people abusing the system, but two things I've always wondered about....(1) Do we actually pay more trying to find the people abusing the system then the people abusing the system are getting? (2) Do we wind up hurting the people legitamately needing assistance by some of the rules and regs intended to stop the abusers?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2010 11:02:14 AM PDT
LAURENCE says:
it is the nature of some people to take advantage of any situation inspired by good intentions, especially if money is part of the equation. as far as welfare, the money would be better spent in the age-old method of "teaching them to fish" instead of having them lay around all day waiting for the postman to drop off their allotment of "fish", "fish" which i spent my time and effort to catch only to have the government appropriate a huge part of said "catch" to be distributed as they deem worthy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Life forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Mar 25, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 4, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions