Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

Picaresque literary fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2011 9:55:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2011 9:56:06 AM PDT
Raven says:
The Libertine

I just published my latest novel - a picaresque ride through Dublin City.

Any other recommendations for picaresque novels/characters?

My favourites include Donleavy's 'The Ginger Man' Thompson's Fear and Loathing, Grass's Tin Drum, Bukowski's entire collection....

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 4:01:37 PM PDT
MJL says:
Ha, I had to look up the term! Loved the Tin Drum; you got me there. Just like you got me with the Auster reference last time.

I truly enjoyed the two novels of yours that I've already read and highly recommend them to anyone who might be reading here. Best of luck with this and all your work.

MJ

PS: They've set up a forum called Meet Our Authors (see the bottom of this page under More Customer Discussions) for the purpose of sharing what you have to offer. They cleared most of the forums of book links but since only me and a handful of others come to this one, they haven't bothered, ha ha. Your novels may get more attention there. Again, best of luck.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 10:31:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 11:13:04 PM PDT
Raven says:
Thanks MJ!
I'll check out the 'Meet The Authors' forum...

Thanks again!

TS

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 8:56:58 PM PST
J. E. Rainey says:
You might want to look at my new novel, Honor & Entropy. Half of the tale is in first person narrative and picaresque.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:25:43 PM PST
The Forgotten Waltz, for sure. Sorry, forget the author (my boyfriend stepped on my Kindle) but she won a Booker for "The Gathering".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 10:36:02 AM PST
Thomas Head says:
I admit up front that I am good friends with the author - but Clem Crowder's Catch by Al Michaud is a rare American picaresque. Good stuff, set at the turn of the 20th century...

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 9:04:25 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 7, 2012 9:28:31 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 6:51:57 AM PDT
Obelix says:
Don Quixote, The Tin Drum, The Master and the Margharita, The Adventuries of Augie March.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 2:42:28 PM PDT
Frank Mundo says:
Finding the Moon in Sugar by Gint Aras is a good modern picaresque novel. Unfortunately, I don't see it on kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 1:23:30 PM PDT
I had never heard of the term picaresque. Had to look it up. I think my new novel qualifies (Life In The Bubble): Life In The Bubble

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:50:22 PM PDT
Jacob King says:
The first two volumes of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle definitely qualify. Character Jack Shaftoe actually describes his life as a picaroon romance. Highly reccomended. BTW a few posts here are skating into the shameless self promotion category.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 11:12:27 PM PDT
Raven says:
I know, Jacob - but the intention from the outset was good - just to find more picaresque titles to consider. I've edited out any excess in the first posts ;-)

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 9:14:27 AM PDT
Rett01 says:
"Adventures of Augie March" is among my favorites. Let's not forget Tom Jones, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Don Quixote and there's always the not-so-much-remembered-anymore but still great Little Big Man.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 3:17:12 PM PDT
Sam Fields says:
THE MESSIAH OF GREEN STREET tells the story of Sahil, born to Bangladeshi immigrants Karim and Anjana in the deprived melting pot of Upton Park, London. This strange-looking prodigal of a boy - who can allegedly speak Arabic and Hebrew from birth - is greeted as a miracle and `a child of the world', but the superstitious adulation of his community slowly ebbs and sours as the realities of life as a disenfranchised and dispossessed second generation immigrant take over. The story of Sahil and his family, of their friends, relatives and neighbours is mordantly satirical, deeply poignant and very funny. As Sahil grows into adulthood and becomes more and more disillusioned with his lot, his reluctant attempts to connect with his roots, buried under the weight of slavery, colonialism and racial hatred, take him in unexpected directions on the way to his own particular truth.

"He has written a remarkable novel that resonates with the picaresque wonders of Gunter Grass' The Tin Drum, the enchanting magical realism of Gabriel Garcia Marquez' One Hundred Years of Solitude, and the seemingly effortless balance of humanity and humor that animate the pages of a Zadie Smith or Salman Rushdie."
-Stephen Windwalker, Kindle Nation Daily

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 3:50:19 PM PDT
Penguin Classics has a great translation of the Spanish novels that got the genre started, Lazarillo de Tormes and El Buscon: Lazarillo de Tormes and The Swindler: Two Spanish Picaresque Novels (Penguin Classics). The Swindler is a bit dated, in my opinion, but Lazarillo is still hilarious.

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:11:52 PM PDT
Quinton Blue says:
Goodreads.com has a long list of picaresque novels. Much of what they put on the list, I don't think of as picaresque. In college, I read a few that were from Spain. It's an interesting form, and I love the anti-authority attitude.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:28:11 AM PDT
My brother has a picaresque - Blomqvist - which happens to be on promo today, so go grab a free copy :o) The Stephenson nod from Jacob is particularly interesting, I read the Cryptonomicon and will climb on that bandwagon, Shaftoe is one of the funniest rascals I've met in a long time.

Posted on May 22, 2012 5:10:26 AM PDT
Silently Inside

Posted on May 22, 2012 7:44:51 AM PDT
Limelite says:
William Makepiece Thackery's Vanity Fair (Vintage Classics) is a huge picaresque featuring a heroine -- the redoubtable Becky Sharp. I think my favorite picaresque in contemporary literature that is a stand-alone novel is Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road: A Tale of Adventure.

The Man Who Fell in Love with the Moon: A Novel is arguably a picaresque but it's undeniably stunning. SImilarly, I'd suggest that Umberto Eco's Baudolino also qualifies and is also stunning.

Neal Stephenson's superb Baroque cycle has already been mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 7:47:28 AM PDT
Limelite says:
I downloaded "Blomqvist" and will give it a try.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 7:09:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2012 11:46:19 PM PDT
Kafka's The Castle ought to fall comfortably within the picaresque category, although one might argue whether the protagonist K. is a rogue or merely a victim. ]]The P1 Penetration Paradox, my newly published novel, aims for this format and takes The Castle as a structural model of sorts. Hasek's The Good Soldier Svejk: and His Fortunes in the World War (Penguin Classics) should definitely qualify; also from Mitteleuropa Jerzy Kosinski's The Painted Bird, with a child picaro. I thought of Crime and Punishment, but Raskolnikov is more a full-fledged revolutionary than a comic rogue. Nothing comic about this book at all, come to think of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2013 11:27:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 26, 2013 11:34:34 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (219 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  May 23, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions