Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

Visionary/Metaphysical fiction?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 30, 2011 8:23:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2013 11:38:23 AM PDT
Since my original question seemed too frequently misunderstood, let me rephrase:

What would you, as readers, like to see in Visionary/Metaphysical fiction?

If you could sit down with a novelist who would write on visionary/metaphysical subjects, what type of story would you have him or her write? What themes? What elements -- magic? paranormal? ghosts? spiritual principles? examples of karma, both good and bad?

What about fiction with metaphysical ideas like reincarnation, soulmates, lovingkindness, quantum/alternate realities, parallel lives, the healing power of love in all its forms?

What do you think? What would you like to see in visionary/metaphysical fiction?

NOTE: I AM NOT ASKING FOR SUGGESTIONS ON TITLES TO READ, NOR IS THIS AN INVITATION FOR SELF-PROMOTION! Sorry, but too many responders here are making suggestions to read this or that and/or promoting their own titles. NOT my question. Please find another forum in which to recommend titles. Thanks.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 9:40:57 AM PDT
roz morris says:
Spiritlight, I don't know if this would be your cup of tea, but I intended to create an honest exploration of certain kinds of healing with ideas of reincarnation... My Memories of a Future Life - Episode 1 of 4: The Red Season

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 8:05:31 AM PDT
L. Hawkins says:
Hey Spiritlight I read your post with interest. I'm not sure if the two books that I have in mind would be of interest to you. However if you are willing to I would love to gift them to you. Actually I would like an independent beta reader for these two stories. If you think this is of interest to you email me at ascmal1@yahoo.com. btw you can take a look at them on Amazon and if I don't hear from you I will take it as a pass... No harm no foul. Take care and best wishes on your search.

FULL BLOOM: Ante Faith (SAVING FAITH) Saving Faith: Beginning of The Acquisition

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2011 8:53:27 AM PDT
Mark J. Mann says:
I've just uploaded my book, Homeless Mysteries, Homeless Intimacies, onto Amazon Kindle. I am a practicing astrologer and have studied and used metaphysics in my life since the 1970s. My novel contains a variety of themes, but the metaphysical themes of alternate realities, the healing power of love, astrology, tarot, loving kindness are the most important to me. I see it as basically as a love story, but also a story about how a 37-year old homeless man becomes attuned to his own psychic abilities and learns to connect with other like-minded people again. I do not think we have enough fiction that deals with metaphysical subjects in a holistic and in-depth manner. Thanks for allow me to discuss this with you. Mark Jay Mann

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 11:13:10 AM PDT
Thanks, Roz, AIm, and Mark. However, in this post I was not asking for suggestions of metaphysical titles to read -- I am asking people what they are looking for.

Re-read my last sentence:
"What do you think? What would you like to see in visionary/metaphysical fiction?"

What's already been written and is now available has value, no doubt. I particularly like Mark's comment, "I do not think we have enough fiction that deals with metaphysical subjects in a holistic and in-depth manner."

As a reader, this is what I seek for myself, and your suggestions are steps in that direction.

As an author, I want to know what *others* seek--what they're looking for, what their souls desire. If we as authors are writing things that do not meet the needs of those seeking, there is a disconnect.

My question, put another way, is: How can I better serve the needs of readers?

More specifically, how can I better serve the needs of readers in search of *something better* -- something that uplifts, inspires, helps to shift their paradigm to a greater, more positive light?

And, accomplishes this without resorting to millennia-old dogma, religion, and old ways of thinking that are slowing dying out.

How can we shape our fiction in a new way, to inspire new thought?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2011 12:13:45 PM PDT
Mark J. Mann says:
As a psychological-spiritual astrologer (Dane Rudhyar remains my metaphysical mentor), I have felt frustrated over the years that fiction, movies and other art forms have not well conveyed the positive uses of systems like astrology. An author such as Italo Calvino explores metaphysical themes in creative ways. I find his writings inspirational, but I want something more contemporary, where people are using tools such as astrology and tarot in a non-fortune telling way, even non-dramatic or sensational way, to understand and cope with the dramatic experiences of their lives. There is still such a disconnect between how various metaphysical systems are actually used by a growing number of people for healing and spiritual growth, and the way our media still conveys these systems in a such silly and superficial manners. My goal is to write a good, entertaining dramatic story, and within the story show how characters are being exposed to and are using these metaphysical tools in their everyday lives.

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 3:55:52 PM PDT
CHEZ says:
I am actually finishing a fiction novel that explores these metaphysical / visionary concepts. I am going to pitch it to agents and have been trying to find a genre label for it - neither Science Fiction or Fantasy fit. I thought about coining the term Quantum Fiction, because it blends metaphysical and quantum physic ideas, into an alternate reality adventure.

I like the "Visionary" term, but "metaphysical" limits it to a spiritual arena, which it is not.
I will be following this thread closely... such an untapped and exciting market.
Shannan
http://www.shannansinclair.com
http://originalbliss.typepad.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 4:31:29 AM PDT
i'm almost through reading this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conversations-Jesus-Intimate-Alexis-Eldridge/dp/0984495517
despite my initial cynicism (lapsed empiricist stance) i've found it surprising, fascinating and reinforcing of my spiritual awakening. you may be put off by notions of gospel distortions and disbelief but then so was the Jewish author. if you could have a dialogue with 'Jesus the Christed' what would you ask? as you ponder that also know that the answers are (most probably) within the leaves of this charming book. highly recommended.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 9:40:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2011 9:50:22 AM PDT
Caroline W. says:
You might like Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn. It applies the laws of karma to the Anne Boleyn/Henry VIII story, and explores how they may have become what they were, based on past life experiences. Very good.

Edited. I just saw that you weren't looking for suggestions. What I like is something that stretches my mind, and delves into philosophy and ethics. So many reincarnation stories don't jive with karmic law, and have nothing to teach. Or, the author doesn't understand the concept and falls short.

What I DON'T like is simplistic platitudes in books that profess to be "wise" or "inspirational" but aren't really very deep, or on target. I also don't like them when they're skewed to a particular religion - I prefer it when authors find less divisive ways of relaying wisdom.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 9:26:46 PM PDT
Country Girl says:
Doris Lessing. I especially liked The Four Gated City, or perhaps The Golden Notebook, but all of her fiction is interesting.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 5:08:49 PM PST
t.anderson says:
Just want to add a quick and late comment. I wrote a novel last year when I began wondering about this same question. It's published and if you like, you can check it out here on amazon or visit my blog or website. The title is MONAD 12.21.12 The Awakening of Stella Steinar. Http://www.authortanderson.blogspot.com. Thanks for this great conversation, even though I discovered it late!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 12:16:07 PM PST
SE Gardiner says:
Trying free-reading the first pages of Gods of Time by SE Gardiner, available on Google. It's different!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 3:00:24 PM PST
Tina Whyte says:
Check out this excellent recently released action adventure book - full of metaphysics and supernatural phenomenon. you will love it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baqnf1EnuxM

The Quest for the Ark

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quest-for-the-Ark/209837132421117

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 9:21:35 PM PST
Country Girl says:
Roger Zelazny did a series of very interesting books that are fantasy/science fiction featuring the Hindu Gods. Lords of Light is the first book, as I recall, and it is a fascinating read.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 1:12:19 PM PST
D Saunders says:
Hi, interesting that I should have skimmed down to this blog today (which I've never noticed before) then read you talking about what souls desire... I have just read Anna Tizard's "I See What You Want" and it grasps hold of questions like, Who are we? What is desire and can it define us? A well-written book with a good plot on the one hand, but also delves into Jungian psychology like the collective unconscious and how we are all connected.
Sorry, I feel like I'm struggling to summarise it! But I would recommend you take a look at it.
And so to answer your question, I think people are looking to find out who they really are in terms of the bigger picture. So if you can find a way of winding a theory or a view about that into an exciting storyline that has mainstream appeal, then that's what will appeal to like-minded people.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 5:45:49 AM PST
Ok, thanks for the recommendation, but again, in this thread I am NOT looking for suggestions of titles to read, I am asking *readers* what they want to see. How many publishers ask this question? Or are we just left having to choose from what they think we'll like?

As an author I am interested in learning what people wish there were more of, as opposed to so much of the tripe found on bookstore shelves.

So again, my question: What do you wish there were more of in visionary/metaphysical or even general fiction?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 5:33:06 AM PST
Julie O'Yang says:
Hi Spiritlight
My novel went on Kindle today. I paste here the url to Kindle store as well as my bio.
Butterfly, A novel (With classic fan-shape illustrations)
I think you will greatly enjoy this love story with an edge.

Julie O'Yang is a novelist and visual artist based in The Netherlands. Born and brought up in China, she came to Europe in 1990s to study at the University of London. Then she read Japanese Language and Culture at the University of Leiden, Holland, and Tokyo, Japan. Her short stories, poetry and articles have appeared in magazines and newspapers worldwide. For more information, please visit http://julieoyang.wordpress.com/. You can find the author on her Facebook page "A zoo of butterflies".

Thank you. Have a great day!

Julie

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 4:46:46 PM PST
Interesting question, SpiritLight. What I look for in spiritual fiction is either something that reminds me of spiritual principles that I'm at least aware of, or writing which itself takes me into a prayerful place. As a reader I want to experience that place of...what? Perhaps awe, being taken into that inner space where I am aware of the "power greater than ourselves." Really good spiritual fiction is a deep meditation--it holds my attention for a relatively long period of time in that experience that we get to with disciplined meditation or prayer. One of the things a good book does is hold our attention for longer periods than we'd ordinarily be able to do without a book or without our being a person who has dedicated her or his life to a contemplative or religious life. I have a friend who is a nun and I have watched her saying the Rosary on a couple of occasions (I'm not Catholic so this isn't something I understand) and that intense kind of concentration, where there is no separation between her prayers and the spiritual experience, is something I seek in spiritual fiction. That's perhaps a rather long response to your question but it was interesting exercise for me...forced me to think about what I genuinely seek in spiritual fiction. There are a few novels I've read which are not technically spiritual or metaphysical but which do what I'm describing here. Problem is that publishers have a prejudice against publishing books in this genre; supposedly, they don't earn the kind of money publishers are looking for. There certainly have been some exceptions to that prejudice, however. But as you have tried to emphasize, this isn't about making book lists. Thanks for the question. I liked playing with it.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 8:13:37 PM PST
Do novels written while the author was on an acid trip count as "visionary/metaphysical fiction" - just curious.
Serious question, bro.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 9:08:28 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 7, 2012 9:21:13 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 1:53:30 PM PST
It's a shame that people abuse online opportunities for serious and respectful online discussion with other readers--both by using it for blatant self-promotion and through totally inappropriate responses. As a publishing professional I offer a bit of advice: Obvious self-promo turns off most readers and hurts your book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 4:45:28 AM PST
Thank you, Hal-Zina, for your insightful reply! It definitely gives me things to think about, both in my reading and my writing. I really think we'll be seeing more visionary/metaphysical fiction as we move further into the Shift, especially this year. People are seeking a true spiritual connection, not merely religious mores handed down by the so-called chosen. We are hungry for real spiritual nutrition, not empty snacks. Again, thank you for your comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 4:48:50 AM PST
Again, thank you, Hal-Zina -- my point exactly. Despite I have repeated several times this is not an inquiry for title suggestions, nor is it a request for self-promotion, people seem to be ignoring my actual question and going off on their own thing. Perhaps their comments would be appropriate in some *other* Amazon discussion -- just not this one.

So to anyone posting here: again, please, this discussion is NOT an invitation to promote your own work nor to suggest titles you've read. Go back and re-read my question so you can post a thoughtful, genuine reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 4:50:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2012 4:51:11 AM PST
Julie O'Yang: Lovely - but that's NOT my question. As I've said many times here, I am NOT inquiring about titles to read, I am asking readers what they are looking for in spiritual fiction.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 9:32:32 AM PST
In the 1990s, the appearance and phenomenal success of books like James Redfield's "Celestine Prophecy," and Marla Morgans "Mutant Message" were driven by numerous social forces and needs, fed by a turn away from organized religious and given form (and a sense of security) by the New Age movement that, in the final analysis, can probably be understood as a search for the spiritual outside organized religion. I think what happened, though, is that New Age supplanted "organized religion," that is, it became codified like other religious movements, with those who were "properly" or "authentically" initiated separated from those who weren't, creating the same we-they split that makes most religions ultimately destructive. Today the dreams of the New Age movement are pretty much blasted out of the water by the global crises of war, economic collapse and climate change, etc. (In spite of our prayers and positive visualizations, everything went to hell...or something like that.) Obvious to say, I guess, that we need books that offer really viable spiritual solutions to our present global crises. It's interesting how those leading spiritual novels of the 90s seem to come out of nowhere--in fact they did, in that both were self-published and ended up selling millions. And both came from authors who up to that point were unknowns, with "platforms" of only a handful of people. Just the opposite of what today's publishers are seeking. In other words, they were way outside mainstream publishing. Their message wasn't new. Both books were reminders of what William Faulkner called "the old truths, the old verities..." They helped us embrace a part of us that is capable of so-called "selfless" choices that are so easily overridden by fear. The global problems we're facing are huge; fact is too much bigger and more dangerous than fiction. Maybe today's visionary/metaphysical books need to offer a very new and different vision of our "oneness," one that's more "practical," able to transcend phenomenal reality by moving beyond our governments and our mainstream power bases to embrace the majority population who likewise seek nothing less than a life free from the constant threat of annihilation by handfuls of power brokers. Hard to discuss in a forum like this, in part because of limited space. The vision has to embrace the idea that just because we can't see the solutions to our present crises doesn't mean they're not there. Crisis, after all, has historically been the mother of invention--but at great cost to the planet and to all that lives here with us.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (220 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Aug 30, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions