Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

Visionary/Metaphysical fiction?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 77 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 14, 2012 3:00:00 PM PST
anything by Thomas Pynchon or David Foster Wallace and you can't go wrong!

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 4:16:38 PM PST
Please read a few posts back to get in touch this discussion. The host keeps reminding people he was NOT asking for book recommendations.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 3:07:08 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 16, 2012 3:15:00 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 7:51:39 AM PST
dumb_ox says:
De Anima by aristotle would be a good start.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 5:51:12 PM PST
K Korwal says:
Thank you, Hal-Zina Bennett --- I don't know WHY people can't seem to understand I AM NOT LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS ON BOOKS TO READ! <----for those considering posting here with book recommendations, of which there are *too many* and *not what I asked for*.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 5:52:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 5:52:45 PM PST
K Korwal says:
Responder "dumb_ox":
Did you not read my question? I AM NOT ASKING FOR BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS!!!!! sheesh...if responders would just *read the question*

Maybe you're "dumb ox" for a reason? Hmm.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 3:35:14 AM PST
dumb_ox says:
Well you are using the word metaphysics wrong;metaphysics is a part of philosophy something i am sure you have never read.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 3:39:10 AM PST
dumb_ox says:
Ok this is what i think. would not like to see any metaphysical fiction it sounds like crap. and you sound like a wanker with a bug up his ass

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 3:44:28 AM PST
dumb_ox says:
I recomend you read Ayn Rand she writes great metaphysical fiction. it may be a bit over your head though.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 3:50:10 AM PST
dumb_ox says:
I would love to see more metaphysical fiction in the same vein as "Thus spoke zaruthustra"

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 4:52:20 AM PST
dumb_ox says:
So you just want some ghostie stories?

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 9:06:24 AM PST
I'm kind of hoping that's what happens to fiction now, the evolution of the fictional tale I think needs to be more visionary and metaphysical, but that's the stuff I love to read and write. It's kind of like, a story should do so much more than just entertain. It should be an experience. Visionary, metaphysical fiction can give us the opportunity to explore and experience something we don't normally get to. Higher consciousness through fiction? I just think that's a flat out cool idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 4:51:47 PM PST
K Korwal says:
<<Posted on Feb 12, 2012 3:44:28 AM PST
dumb_ox says: I recomend you read Ayn Rand she writes great metaphysical fiction. it may be a bit over your head though. >>

A bit over my head? As in, you know on what level I read? Or what level of metaphysics I understand?

Assuming rather a lot, I think. Considering you know nothing about my level of intelligence, understanding, or comprehension of metaphysics. (Which, I might add, I have been studying daily for nearly 20 years.)

Not to mention you are assuming I've never read any Ayn Rand.

Perhaps there is another discussion here on Amazon you'd like to participate in, rather than posting comments here that are not helpful and more than a little patronizing?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 4:54:00 PM PST
K Korwal says:
Thank you, Brandon Berntson, for your insightful comments! I wholeheartedly agree: a story should do so much more than just entertain. And *experience* is an excellent word!

Higher consciousness is definitely something I aim for myself, as an author as well as a longtime student of metaphysics.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 10:22:50 PM PST
Lin says:
"...the artist is not there to be one with the world-
he is there to transform it"
--Anias Nin

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 4:58:26 PM PST
Ali Murtaza says:
I know what you mean. I experienced that. There is so much more in love than sex and violence. There is a certain beauty in all of it. When I write I try to explore other aspects of love. I did that with my recent novel. You might like it if you like a modern style exploration of inspiration through art. To Love, or Not to Love, That is Art

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 5:03:04 AM PST
K Korwal says:
Ali Murtaza: NOT ASKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS ON WHAT TO READ!!!!!!! Please pay attention and read the original post, as well as all the posts from others reminding people that the question is "What do you want to see in metaphysical/visionary fiction?" NOT "what do you think I should read".

Dunce award, shared by many.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 2:45:00 PM PST
Frank Mundo says:
What about The Forty Rules of Love: A Novel of Rumi by Elif Shafak?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 4:37:35 PM PST
Lou Jones says:
I would be interested in reading credible literature on near death experiences, also deathbed visions. I realize there is a boat load of research and scholarly information on both. But I would enjoy reading clever writers who could incorporate real life examples into interesting human interest novels. I.e. Build a fictionalized story around real life experiences.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 5:39:32 PM PST
Chryse Wymer says:
I somewhat agree, Julie. I consider myself more a hermetic student, but am always interested in books that make me think more about Spirit. As far as negative attitudes, I see this as a matter of polarity. Negativity is only bad if it is used in a harmful way. If someone uses their anger over their murdered daughter to campaign for laws to help stalker victims, for example, then that "negativity" was used for good. I personally feel we need to learn to work with our "shadow" so that we put it to good use. In my opinion, positivity and negativity are illusions. Couldn't these be considered subjective? That is, what's positive for one person is negative for another and vice versa? Yet, as far as reading, I tend to find my spiritual thinking material more in non-fiction, and read fiction primarily to relax. I don't want fiction that reinforces my worldview. I don't want nonfiction that reinforces my worldview. I want to read something that challenges it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 7:02:46 AM PST
K Korwal says:
Thank you, Elmo! That's an excellent area to explore. I've done novels built on real-life ghost/paranormal experiences, but not NDE's. Something to ponder!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 8:49:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2012 9:11:07 AM PST
Lou Jones says:
Spiritlight

I went back to your original post to see what your objective might be in soliciting inputs to your question. I'm not sure what it is, are you simply curious, looking for comments from kindred souls, wanting to reflect on the responses, or do you intend to do some writing based on the more provocative inputs you receive? How would you complete this sentence? "I'm interested in receiving input on the subject of visionary/metaphysical fiction because ____________."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 5:42:37 AM PST
Lou Jones says:
Spiritlight, where are you?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 10:56:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012 10:57:10 AM PST
K Korwal says:
I'm interested in receiving input on the subject of visionary/metaphysical fiction because I would like to know what people WANT to read in this area/genre, as opposed to what the publishing companies are cranking out.

In other words, I would like to know what people *think* and *want* rather than *what someone else (i.e. publishers)* think they should enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 11:23:15 AM PST
Lou Jones says:
Once you find out what people want do you then intend to share your findings with publishers?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (220 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  77
Initial post:  Aug 30, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 3, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions