Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

Three or more living authors you view as great

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 448 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 23, 2009 7:34:24 PM PDT
Chuckie says:
I can mention one that is better than any on your lists unless you included him--

Salman Rushdie.

And I'm going to cheat and add the relatively-recently-deceased Kurt Vonnegut to the list as well.

Posted on Apr 24, 2009 3:21:25 AM PDT
huh says:
McMurtry
Conroy
McCarthy
I think you need list authors that are great, not that you think are cool or could maybe great.

Posted on Apr 25, 2009 5:32:13 PM PDT
HardyBoy64 says:
Am I the only one who thinks that McCarthy is WAY overrated? I hated the Road, and the Border Trilogy just did nothing for me. BLEH.

I like: Jhumpa Lahiri, the guy who wrote "Remains of the Day" and Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who is way past his peak (which was in the 60's, with "Cien años de Soledad".

Posted on Apr 25, 2009 9:12:18 PM PDT
Michael Chabon (Yiddish Policemen's Union, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay)
Neil Gaiman (American Gods, Coraline, Anansi Boys)
Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, From Hell)

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 4:37:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2009 6:23:19 PM PDT
Best of recently read:
Jane Alison - The sisters antipodes (Biography, on longing for one's absent father)
William Trevor - Felicia's journey / The story of Lucy Gault (Trevor has been nicknamed the "Irish Tchekov")
Alberto Moravia - Contempt (ok, Moravia is dead, but his prose is very modern in my opinion)

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 6:12:52 AM PDT
Tyler Jones says:
I can't believe that no one has yet included Don Delillo. In my opinion, the greatest living writer and certainly the most challenging.

01 Libra
02 White Noise
03 Underworld
04 End Zone

The man is a supernatural force.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2009 8:49:45 AM PDT
K. Pattie says:
Jodi Picoult
Anita Shreve
Elizabeth Berg
Alice Hoffman - I know that is four; however, their works and themes are so related that I can't decide which of them is better. I simply know that every time I read one of their novels, my life will be changed in some way. They force you to look at the world around you and at your own life in a different way than you did before you started the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2009 8:52:35 AM PDT
K. Pattie says:
Glad you included these authors because you are right - they are wonderful. Along with Walking Across Egypt, try Edgerton's Rainey.

Posted on Apr 30, 2009 11:48:40 AM PDT
Lewis Nordan - Wolf Whistle - if you like Edgerton
Jonathan Safran Foer - especially Everything is Illuminated
Michael Cunningham
Louise Erdrich, too

Posted on May 1, 2009 6:20:34 AM PDT
KOMET says:
1) INDU SUNDARESAN (e.g. "The Feast of Roses")
2) BHARATI MUKHERJEE
3) GORE VIDAL (priceless!!!)
4) SUSAN HOWATCH ('The Starbridge Series' of novels are a treat)
5) LEN DEIGHTON
6) ALEXANDER FULLERTON (writer of 20th century naval warfare fiction)
7) BERNARD CORNWELL
8) WILLIAM BOYD
9) MARTIN CRUZ SMITH (for the 'Arkady Renko' series of novels)
10) ACHY OBEJAS
11) CHITRA BANERJEE DIVAKARUNI
12) MELVYN BRAGG (his novel "Time to Dance" is one of the best I've read in the last 10 years)

13) CARA BLACK (for her 'Aimee Leduc Investigation Series', which are set in the Paris of the 1990s)

14) MARGARET MAYHEW (for her Second World War era novels)
15) JOHN LAWTON
16) CYNTHIA HARROD-EAGLES (for her 'Morland Family Series' of novels)
17) LOUIS AUCHINCLOSS
18) SUJATA MASSEY
19) KEN FOLLETT
20) GEORGE PELECANOS
21) TONI MORRISON
22) CARRIE VAUGHN (for her hugely entertaining 'Kitty Norville' series of werewolf novels)

Posted on May 1, 2009 10:08:36 AM PDT
Marilyn Robinson
Toni Morrison
Philip Roth
David Sedaris (the best summer read)
Philip Pullman (rewrote Milton's Paradise Lost into a children's trilogy, amazing)
J.K. Rowling (for introducing the love of reading to the video generation)

Posted on May 1, 2009 1:44:20 PM PDT
Despite my current location, I consider myself southern, so I would have to start with Pat Conroy, whose works have been amazing from beginning to end. Then there's good old Harper Lee, perhaps the greatest one-shot author ever. And living out here, it's impossible not to have a high level of respect fot the seemingly eternal Mr. Ray Bradbury.

Posted on May 3, 2009 1:17:02 PM PDT
LillyandGish says:
Edna O'Brien - In the Forest
Helen Dunmore - The Siege, A Spell of Winter
William Trevor - Anything he's written

Posted on May 3, 2009 10:31:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2009 2:33:57 AM PDT
I choose Mary Doria Russel, Gabriel Garcia Marquez & Margaret Atwood. Linda Gregg for poetry.

Posted on May 3, 2009 10:34:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2009 2:32:04 AM PDT
Oh yes and the authors of two of my absolute favorite books of all time: Harper Lee, and Neil Gaiman for Neverwhere. Perhaps not "literary" but still my favorite read.

Posted on May 4, 2009 5:15:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2009 5:16:32 AM PDT
KOMET says:
1) MANDA SCOTT (for her "BOUDICA Series" of novels)
2) COLM TOIBIN
3) RONAN BENNETT (for "The Catastrophist", which a dear friend gave me as a gift)

4) DOUGLAS REEMAN (for his Second World War era naval warfare novels)
5) DENISE ROBERTSON
6) CATRIN COLLIER
7) PATRICIA BRIGGS (for her 'Mercy Thompson' & 'Alpha & Omega' series of novels)

8) PHILIP KERR (for his 'Berlin Noir' series of historical novels)
9) BEVERLY JENKINS (for her series of African American historical novels)
10) JOHN LAWTON (for his 'Frederick Troy' series of historical novels)

Posted on May 4, 2009 12:52:55 PM PDT
Ref Girl says:
Orhan Pamuk.
Zadie Smith.
Margaret Atwood.

Posted on May 5, 2009 4:56:02 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 11, 2009 6:22:52 AM PDT]

Posted on May 5, 2009 8:40:59 PM PDT
Pat Conroy, Stephen King, and John Irving Favorite books written by these authors:
The Prince of Tides, The Stand, and A Prayer for Owen Meany

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2009 1:03:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2009 1:06:56 AM PDT
One fine book or even two does not equal top three of all time. This is best living author, not best single book list. I would have put Rushdie on my top three list ten years ago, but after the brilliance of Midnight's Children, the bite of the Satanic Versus and the charm of the Moors Last Sigh, i think the Fatah affected the quality of his output. Nothing too great in a dozen or more years, more of a celebrity now than a great author, it seems, though I hope he proves me wrong, and does so often. There is still time.

No questions about Pynchon and Philip Roth. The first has reachest the highest heights of polymath brilliance, style and humor (and damned if Against the Day isn't as good as it gets at any age for any author), and the second has simply sustained his razor-sharp but also sympathetic critique of American society and human nature in about 30 very good to great novels over a 50 year period. What an body of work!

Gore Vidal also is up there, but primarily as an essayist. He is often being forgotten as he ages, but he has been as vital as non-fiction essayist as Updike was.

Honorable mention to Annie Proulx, though I think her output is a little small for a top three rating, Pat Conroy for his brilliant insight into the human psyche, and TC Boyle for a lot of very good novels, and one really fine one (World's End).

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2009 7:15:24 AM PDT
M. Legault says:
i bought "yiddish policemen's union". is it very good?

Posted on May 7, 2009 7:22:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2009 7:23:06 AM PDT
M. Legault says:
love everything by wally lamb, pat conroy, dennis lehane, anne rice, joyce carol oates, wicked by mcguire, and on and on............

Posted on May 11, 2009 3:56:22 AM PDT
My favorite living authors are...

John Grisham
Elmore Leonard
Stephen King
Garrison Keillor

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2009 11:26:26 AM PDT
joana says:
Living:

Haruki Murakami
Kazuo Ishiguro
Orhan Pamuk

Alas, No Longer Living:

Roberto Bolano

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2009 11:56:46 AM PDT
I can see how you might think this, but try "Suttree" and you'll see a side of him you probably haven't. That is, of course, if you've already read it and didn't enjoy it. Really, really good though.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (220 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  284
Total posts:  448
Initial post:  Nov 23, 2008
Latest post:  May 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 45 customers

Search Customer Discussions