Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

World War II Fiction Book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2012 8:09:58 AM PST
Rannxz says:
When I was younger, I rented a book from the library that was a fictional story of Japan back during World War II. The book told the story from a different 'universe' where Japan instead of going to war with the US, instead started a Civil War in Japan.

Unfortunately I never finished the book and I forgot what it was called. If someone could get me the name of the book, I'd greatly appreciate it.

While we're on the topic of WWII fiction, I'm looking for fiction books that take place during WWII. I don't know too many and I'm interested in reading some WWII novels.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:02:22 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 25, 2012 10:02:54 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:07:41 AM PST
Easter Day 1941 by G. F. Borden
Night Over Day Over Night by Paul Watkins
Attonement by Ian McEwen
Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulks
The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw
Hart's War by John Katzenbach
All of Jeff Shaara's WWII Novels

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:18:27 PM PST
Beverly says:
How about From Here to Eternity by James Jones? Or War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:16:14 PM PST
For fiction - I recomment "Mission To Paris" by Alan Furst is entertaining and informative... dealing with what set the stage for France to resist for only 8 days...
For non-fiction, I recommend "Children of Dust and Heaven: A Diary from Nazi Occupation Through the Holocaust" by Stefania Heilbrunn (a Holocaust survivor). Very powerful - most insightful book I have read, at times difficult to read about how her town in Poland was occupied and how most of the 14,000 Jews were killed. Her strength to research and write this book is amazing.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 11:18:18 PM PST
TChildren of Dust and Heaven : A Diary from Nazi Occupation through the Holocaust
This is the book I was referring to.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 4:55:07 PM PST
Connie says:
This is not WW2 fiction. It's a true memoir account of a marine's war experiences in the Pacific. Considered the best non-fiction book written about the
second world war or any war. The book is called " With The Old Breed ". The author is Eugene B. Sledge. You will not be disappointed. Amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2013 1:55:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2013 1:56:00 PM PDT
monica says:
A Special Providence (Vintage Contemporaries) is good, and I've read in a couple of places that veterans of the war who've read it thought it was a remarkably accurate portrayal of what it was like to be there.

Another very good one is One Man's Justice. It's set just after WWII, though--but it gives a perspective not often found in books available in English, that of a former Japanese soldier on the run from the American occupiers.

Sorry, but I've not got a clue as to the book you asked about . . .

Posted on May 22, 2013 9:26:51 AM PDT
Norman Mailer's classic The Naked and the Dead, Joseph Heller's Catch-22, Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-5 should all be on your list

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2013 9:50:09 AM PDT
Great recommendations Vicki.

Posted on May 22, 2013 10:08:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2013 10:09:51 AM PDT
Here are some more good ones:
The Eye Of The Needle by Ken Follett
Seven Six One by G F Borden
The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins
The War Lover by John Hersey
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
Winds Of War by Herman Wouk
Die Brucke by Manfred Gregor
The Black March by Peter Neumann (controversial book. Is it fiction or is it fact? Good either way).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (219 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2012
Latest post:  May 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions