Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

First sentence

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 26, 2012 5:51:27 PM PDT
Quinton Blue says:
If you have a self-published literary novel, please share here the book's title and the first sentence only. No abouts, no promo honk, just the first sentence.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 11:49:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 11:50:47 PM PDT
Wando Wande says:
Title: Desert Harvest.
Bill Coldfield was a man of cold gentility.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:01:04 AM PDT
Author says:
"My Big Sister, Melody, asked me to write all of this down before I died."

Unfortunately, sharing the title would be deemed "promotion" so you'll have to do without.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 8:42:11 PM PDT
Quinton Blue says:
Whatever. I think of it as information rather than promotion. If I go into a bookstore, that's the way I shop. I read the first sentence. The promo stuff on the back I usually ignore-- particularly since many advance blurbs are written by people who have not read the book!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 7:21:48 AM PDT
Author says:
Nevertheless, If I post a title the mean girls (anti-promo Nazis) will have it removed. They don't mind downloading free books at all, but God forbid that someone might actually sell one because a reader found the title on the Reader forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:53:57 AM PST
GGG says:
The title of my self-published literary novel is called The Psychoanalysis of Marilyn Monroe.

The first sentence is:
The sheets of unlined paper with the notes I'd written during the psychoanalysis of
Marilyn Monroe were lying on my desk - in separate piles, organized by month, with
a few related sessions next to each other.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 7:37:47 AM PST
GGG says:
Author,
Quinton Blue did ask for the title of your novel, and since we don't know your name either,
it would be hard to find it and read it. I personally would like to read more than the excellent
first line.

Here's my sense, especially if you're a self-published author.
At some point we're going to have do some promotion so
that people read our novels.

I've always been sure that there are many writers who haven't been published,
and who are more than talented enough to get attention.

Do include your name and title, will you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 7:51:22 AM PST
Author says:
GGG,

If you click on my name, the link will open, and you will find what you're looking for.

I have regularly allowed free downloads of my books. A few people have posted reviews. The ratings are uniformly high.

The demand for free books is overwhelming, but not so much for the others, even at the lowest price that Amazon allows ($2.99). The only way to charge less is to be a mainline publisher with a direct, special deal with Amazon.

I know that my books have touched a few people, and so far, nobody has showed up to arrest me. That must be worth something, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 8:16:51 AM PST
GGG says:
Author,
unfortunately I don't have any techno-gadgets for reading.
I'm still living happily in the 19th century - well, mostly.
Have you thought about putting your novel on Amazon and selling it as a paperback?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 8:27:56 AM PST
Author says:
GGG,

You can download and install a Kindle reader (software is free from Amazon) on either a PC or Macintosh platform and read any Kindle book.

I have been occupied with a lot of other things which required my attention for the past year, and have not really had the time to format my books for the "on demand publishing" feature. Both of them were written to fit the 300 plus page paperback format, however, and I supposed I should look into it.

Kindles are cheap and easy to use. My wife likes to hold a book in her hand, but she also reads a lot of Kindle books and enjoys them.

It would be a high point in my life to some day see one of my books on an airport news stand book rack, but I'd much rather see them on a public library book shelf. I still remember the day in 1960 or 1961 when I found "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" on the shelf in my elementary school library, and how it changed my life. I wanted to be a writer from that moment on. I guess, officially, I AM a writer, but so far I'm not making my living from it. Maybe some day.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 8:40:25 AM PST
GGG says:
Looks like we're about the same age, give or take a few years. I was born in 1958.
I also decided to become a writer after reading a book: in my case it was Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse.
In Canada, where I live, few writers (even well-known ones) can make a living from writing alone.
I teach at a college, philosophy and literature mostly, and thankfully I love to do that almost as
much as writing fiction. Bills have to get paid.

Keep writing.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 9:12:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2013 9:13:20 AM PST
Author says:
I was born in 1950. I was just a bit too young to serve in Vietnam by the time I completed my education and my military training, but nevertheless was a casualty of the Cold War. Few people realize when they read someone was lost in "a training accident" that there are only a few categories which apply to peacetime casualties. Testing, maintenance, and training are the ways that most people die in the service when "combat" is not the cause.

I never wanted to do anything for a living that did not involve action of some sort. Fortunately for me, I found a job where I could be alone in an airplane, upside down, going 300 mph, pulling 5 Gs and doing math in my head. I only got the chance to do that for a few years before some yoyo at the factory almost killed me, and then had to be content with being "near" the action instead of in the middle of it.

A hundred years ago, people were still opening up unexplored land areas. Aviation was brand new. Space travel was unknown. Nobody knew very much at all about the bottom of the oceans. Medicine was still in its infancy.

And now? Every inch of the Earth is mapped. Anyone can buy a ticket and fly on a sophisticated airplane. The space shuttle is already obsolete. The abyssal depths of the ocean are almost as well known as the face of the Moon and Mars. Two weeks ago, a guy took pictures of the inside of my body. What's left for the future? The only thing left we really have to conquer is human nature, and I'm not even going to tackle that one. Millions can read my books for free because someone has already stolen them and posted the contents online.

Honestly, if I could have everything 100% the way I want it, I'd spend the rest of my days growing my own food and flying kites. 43 years ago, I wanted to walk on the Moon. My, how things change when reality sets in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 11:14:20 AM PST
GGG says:
Don't let reality get in the way too much...

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 12:41:23 PM PST
Author says:
The invention of alternate realities (fantasy, I think they call it) is a way for some to escape real life. Harry Potter, Bilbo Baggins and all those characters rely on elements of the occult or so-called "magic" to fill out the story. It was the same with Greek drama, where one of the gods always stepped in at the end to get the stupid humans out of a jam.

As long as we are operating in the real, tangible world to some extent, it's going to be possible to make a difference in somebody's life. Somebody might read something I wrote and benefit from it. I'm only willing to go as far as "the unexplained." Strange things do happen, but so far, I've never seen a teenager riding a broom. That's where I draw the line.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013 7:12:40 AM PDT
R. Billings says:
Title: The Hiding Place Girl

First line: Enough people are dead now, I can talk about some things.

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 4:35:59 PM PST
Lyne Moody says:
Surfing Cyprus
by D.R. Moody
I never imagined nostalgia could be so dangerous.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (220 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Apr 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions