Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

Thank God for the Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2010 6:19:12 PM PDT
M. says:
I am an author who loves traditional books, who wasn't so sure about this whole Kindle thing. Then my husband got one, and I thought it was really cool and bought a couple books on it. When I was able to take a trip and carry six books in one little device, I loved it.

Now, as an author (Midge Raymond, FORGETTING ENGLISH), I have a whole new appreciation for the Kindle: My publisher (Eastern Washington University Press) just closed its doors, and I'm not sure what the fate of the print version is. The great thing about the Kindle is that, fortunately, my book never has to go "out of print." (And, it saves a lot of trees.)

I know EWU Press isn't the only university press that felt the pressure of the current economy -- I'd love to hear how other "orphaned" authors are doing!

Midge Raymond
www.MidgeRaymond.com

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 2:01:43 AM PDT
Helen Smith says:
Hello Midge

There are a lot of authors on here who are publishing their backlist for the kindle. My first two novels Alison Wonderland and Being Light went out of print and publishing them as ebooks was an opportunity to let them live again.

I also love print books but ebooks are priced lower than print books which makes them very attractive to impoverished authors like me who love to read. Also, I needed to get reading glasses a few years ago and I don't need them when I'm reading kindle books because I can adjust the font size. But most of all I love kindle books because they have helped me find new readers for my books - so much love went into producing them, I hated the thought of them languishing unread because they had gone out of print.

Good luck with Forgetting English: Stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2010 1:23:43 PM PDT
M. says:
Hi Helen,

So glad to know that your books are living on via the Kindle as well! I do hope that print books never (ever) disappear, but the Kindle's a great option to have, and I too think I've found readers on the Kindle that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Thanks for your note and all the best to you with your books as well!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 4:50:23 PM PST
As long as books are still published of paper and cardboard I will never, never read a book electronically. I hope I am dead before there are no real physical books.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (220 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jul 2, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions