Showing 51-75 of 208 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 23, 2009 9:03:33 AM PST
howboy says:
Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chogyam Trungpa

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2009 9:39:36 PM PST
R. M. Putnam says:
A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive
The Lost Boy: A Foster Child's Search for the Love of a Family

These books were very moving and helped me overcome the odds. These two books - a series, gave me the courage to stand up for myself, pull myself out of a dangerous sitituation and start life new. I reinvented myself and embarked on a new life, all alone all because of these books written by David Pelzer. Today, I live a blessed life of love and happiness. I pursued my dream of becoming a writer and do all the traveling I only use to dream about. Yes, I was changed by a book, very much so.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2009 9:03:00 AM PST
M. Meszaros says:
"Therese Raquin" by Emile Zola. A friend gave this book to me as a gift when I graduated from college in 1984. I had not been much of a reader before, but the intensity and darkness of this novel literally whetted my appetite for reading. A quest I'm still on after hundreds of books and many years.

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 5:07:54 PM PST
Love this topic -thank you for posting it.

My first "Grown-Up" books "World According to Garp" and "Hotel New Hampshire" -I was proud of thinking strange/quirky/smart/different things instead of ashamed. I remember camping the summer before high school and reading these books in the tent. I was in a different world. Not so much the world of the places in the story as much as the world of the voice / the mind in the story.

Emerson -loved him; Still love him. Essays, poetry. Everything I've ever read. I don't think I've come across anything that falls like a rock from his pen. It all flies. "Brahma" --"Far or forgot to me is near...Shadow and sunlight are the same...The vanquished gods to me appear...And one to me are shame and fame." Wonderful for his sound and meaning. His words gave me a link in to thinking about things in a wider way. Transcendental. Yep. "Nothing is bad or good but thinking makes it so."

COURAGE TO CREATE by Rollo May. I read this every few years...probably about 11 or 12 times so far.

Posted on Dec 30, 2009 7:03:57 PM PST
I have never read a book that did not change me or my life. Maybe it is just the the theory of chaos

Posted on Dec 31, 2009 10:34:28 PM PST
Mike Delp says:
HUCK FINN
Ninety-Two in the Shade

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2010 12:08:00 PM PST
L. M. Keefer says:
Growing up reading Laura Ingalls Wilder books, Christy by Catherine Marshall gave me the courage to go teach in a two-room school house on the plains of Nebraska for my first teaching position as a 21-year-old.

Ayn Rand's books inspired me to commit to excellence and not live by conventions, but principles, although I don't agree with the selfishness of her philosophy.

As an adult the books Finding Your Own North Star and The Joy Diet by Martha Beck in which she says life is a bit like the game of hot/cold we played as kids where when someone says "warmer or hot" as we're nearing the hidden object we move in that direction. So, she encourages us to approach life that way--move in the direction of what we love even though it doesn't seem rational or we know where it's going.

Also, she says the head/heart don't have to be at war. Do you follow your head or your heart? Do both, she advises. Listen to your heart as to what you really, really want and then use your head to get it in a way that is savvy and won't destroy the good in your life, but find ways to enrich it. If you want to run off with the UPS man, say, don't do it--but analyze why. Maybe you like men in uniform and should date a policeman, fireman, bellman; maybe you like men who are generous and bring you gifts, maybe you like the color brown on a man....the point is don't run away from your heart, listen to it and try to get what it wants in your life.

Joseph Campbell's books about the heroes journey, the hero who may have to enter the path where it's densest but will open for you and 100 invisible helping hands will speed you along your way has encouraged my life path.

Posted on Jan 2, 2010 10:09:19 PM PST
Tara says:
Sybil. We had to actually read that in grade school. I never realized that things like that happened. It burst the bubble I lived in. And I have to say Black Beauty as well. That book still plays like a movie in my mind. I was 10 when I read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 10:02:55 AM PST
I agree that "Gift From The Sea" changed me. It is a very centering book, and one I have gifted many times and try to read every year.

Posted on Jan 7, 2010 7:03:06 PM PST
saat_omar says:
Definetly. The name of the book is The Stranger by Camus.
It taught me the value of life and the value of death.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 8:02:04 AM PST
Well...I'm glad someone enjoyed that book..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 2:59:35 PM PST
L. Silvia says:
A Thousand Splendid Suns touched me deeply. I look at being a woman in a different way since I read that incredible book.

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 1:35:48 PM PST
"The Maytrees" by Annie Dillard
I read this book while I was home seriously injured and on a diet of opiates and I think this book may have saved my life. Somehow in it's simplicity (it was edited down to just over 200 pages from 1200 by Ms Dillard) it opened my eyes to everything. I started seeing the world differently and appreciated and saw beauty everywhere, in the most mundance places. I noticed things I had passed by hundreds of times and really saw them and saw hope, truth and beauty everywhere . I found myself wanting to emulate the protagonist and my mind still whispers to me "don't be like that, try to be more like Lou".
Ms Dillard is a poet and some of her prose is difficult if not impossible to understand. I have read this book three times since my injury last year and it only improves with each reading. It has become my bible.

Posted on Jan 15, 2010 8:33:20 PM PST
G. Voehl says:
His Dark Materials...not what it sounds like. Read it when I was younger and the depth of soul searching this book put me through was all too memorable! Highly recommended...talks of life and death and the area between both of them all hidden quite well in a Oxford (sort of fantasy) 3 book series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2010 11:37:17 AM PST
pmdci says:
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. The book changed me completly. It was the only book I ever read (so far) that made me cry.

This book changed the way I perceive and interpret not only books, but also other arts such as music, and other subjects such as philosophy, politics, psychology. It had a great impact on how I see the world.

As if I was colour blind before reading Crime and Punishment, and now I can see every single colour.

For example, I read Ghost Rider by Neil Peart back in 2002 and I liked it, but I can't honestly say it changed me at the time. Read it again (after reading Crime and Punishment) and I got a complete different angle.

Posted on Jan 17, 2010 10:13:03 PM PST
A.Shaw says:
"Where the Red Fern Grows" stands out as the first book that made me fall in love with the characters and completely hook me as a lifelong reader.

Reading and reflecting on "Siddhartha" in my early 20s helped me form my personal goals/ mission statement that I still adhere to 10 years later.

Posted on Jan 18, 2010 12:09:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2010 12:10:21 AM PST
"A Fool's Progress" by Edward Abbey : deemed to be a semi-autobiography the tired, life worn anti-hero decides to return to his roots in the Appalachian Hills and along the journey, across the States, with a beloved dog fighting a losing battle with cancer, he ponders on the life he lived on his terms, the decisions he made, the women he loved and lost. It is one of those rare reading experiences, a laugh out loud, cry your eyes out sad, not to be missed for anything books.

Dudley

Posted on Jan 18, 2010 9:33:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2010 9:57:43 AM PST
"Zorba the Greek" by Nikos Kazantzakis

Alexis Zorbas is one of the most sensual characters you will encounter in literature and through him, you will discover what it's like to live your life with exuberance and to the fullest, with your senses rather than with your intellect. Opa!

Posted on Jan 18, 2010 1:30:55 PM PST
Franny and Zooey, The Adventures of Suziki Bean, The Jungle, Catch 22 and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintence when young. Later Life in Provence led me to buy a home in France and My Life in France reminds me of how to live there . Later, Life of Pi and The Elegance of the Hedgehog to remind me how to live fully .

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 1:10:20 PM PST
Callie says:
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
I strongly reccomend everyone read this book. This book made me realize how everyone judges a person by what they look like on the outside rather than getting to know the person for what they are on the inside.
I hope everyone takes the time to read this book.
~Cal~

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 11:13:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2010 11:14:22 AM PST
C. L. Ruffo says:
"The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 12:43:53 PM PST
I've just read this new book (re-read it, actually), and so it may be too early to say how it will have changed my life. But it certainly has already opened my eyes to nuances in modes of repression and race relations in America that I thought I had previously understood -- and given me a new appreciation for the unheralded heroism of some people as they simply go about their daily lives pursuing dreams in the face of incredible disadvantages. The book, "Hunger's Season" by Paul H. Wilson (Hunger's Season) tells an old story in a new and vivid way. Amid the terror, intimidation and off-hand cruelty of some of the people of a small Southern community in the Delta in the early days of the Civil Rights Movement, Wilson manages to bring out the fortitude, resourcefulness and irrepressible humor of others. The writing is beautiful, even poetic -- but Wilson has a good ear and the dialog has the freshness and grit of real speech. I couldn't put it down.

Posted on Mar 5, 2010 10:23:10 AM PST
Louie's Mom says:
"Bully for Brontosauras" by the late Stephen Jay Gould. I read it in my late 20's and it sparked in me a passion for natural history, evolution, and science in general. Before then I had never had any real interest in science. 19th century science in particular is captivating to me - I've read several bios of Darwin, one of Huxley, one of Alfred Wallace. This passion for science also made me become aware of how poorly we teach science in the U.S., and the distorted views of science caused by bilbilical literalists.

Posted on Mar 5, 2010 5:51:30 PM PST
David Keymer says:
Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man. The year was 1958, fall, and I was in my first college class. I'd grown up in a town that was all white, 2000 strong, and all Christian. One black family lived in the town, no Jews, and when I thought of foreigners, I thought Catholic, or maybe Baptist. And then I read Ellison. There was no turning back for me. I still think it is one of the great books of the 20th century.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2010 7:25:27 PM PST
"the Nature of personal reality" a Seth book, by Jane Roberts ...but, the epitome is

"The Science of Mind" by Enest Holmes.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (220 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  163
Total posts:  208
Initial post:  Oct 14, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 35 customers

Search Customer Discussions