need some new authors to read

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 157 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 20, 2011 9:47:50 PM PDT
Cadmium Blue says:
I highly recommend IN MALICE, QUITE CLOSE by Brandi Lynn Ryder

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 1:29:02 AM PDT
readerDee says:
anon: You have an eclectic mix there but the theme seems to be historical and literary romantic. European settings mostly. See, I did read your post and know most of the work so this is not a shameless plug taking no account of your taste.
Try this: The Prairie Companions Here is a good review, not mine:
This is a heroic and passionate adventure about two intrepid and pioneering women at the beginning of the 20th Century who, at a very early age know what they want out of life. And oh boy, do they go after it. It's a powerful story, which O'Neill once again weaves through real historical events. Pat and Clara seem unlikely soul mates but the companions embark on an amazing adventure that takes them from the south of England to London to France to raise much needed money in fairly unconventional ways for the times. Finally, fuelled by their love for each other, they reach their goal - the flat harsh, land of the Canadian prairies where they make their home and build round them an unlikely but loyal group of friends and neighbors. So much seems to be against them right from the start but they overcome all the prejudice against women trying to make their way in a tough and macho world.

I cried buckets over this story and laughed out loud. O'Neill captures the feeling of desolateness when the young women stand looking at the bleak, hard landscape they have just fought so hard to buy; the toil and pain of trying to farm the land and the trials and tribulations; joys and delights as their lives play out before us. Prairie Companions would make a brilliant and epic film. It's a triumph as a novel - highly recommended.
readerdee.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 3:04:15 PM PST
Tina Whyte says:
Check out this recently released excellent action adventure book -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baqnf1EnuxM

The Quest for the Ark

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quest-for-the-Ark/209837132421117

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 7:35:21 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 20, 2011 7:25:51 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:31:27 PM PST
I've read a number of the same books as you so I know you'll like this recommendation. I just finished "The Ghost of Anna" by J. A. Olson and LOVED it. It's not really a ghost story, but a story of raw emotions, passionate characters and the relationship between two people struggling in the dark, and rural wilds of Alaska. You'll have to read the description. I can only say that you'll read it in one sitting and still want more! :) The Ghost of Anna

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 8:09:47 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 21, 2011 8:14:15 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 10:21:51 AM PST
D Saunders says:
Anna Tizard - I See What You Want

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 12:24:39 PM PST
I think you might like Lizard World by Terry Richard Bazes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 5:36:15 AM PST
Julie O'Yang says:
Hi,

My novel went on Kindle today. I paste here the url to Kindle store as well as my bio.
Butterfly, A novel (With classic fan-shape illustrations)
I think you would like to try something fresh and different?

Julie O'Yang is a novelist and visual artist based in The Netherlands. Born and brought up in China, she came to Europe in 1990s to study at the University of London. Then she read Japanese Language and Culture at the University of Leiden, Holland, and Tokyo, Japan. Her short stories, poetry and articles have appeared in magazines and newspapers worldwide. For more information, please visit http://julieoyang.wordpress.com/. You can find the author on her Facebook page "A zoo of butterflies".

Thank you. I wish you a good day!

Julie

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 3:54:46 PM PST
Julie O'Yang says:
Butterfly, A novel (With classic fan-shape illustrations)
Set against the backdrop of the SecondWorld War / Sino-Japanese war (1931-1945), the story centres around the fatal love between a married Chinese woman and a young Japanese soldier. However, the fantastic tale is not as simple as its plot suggests. In the forties of the 20th century, one summer day, on the bending shore of the magical, eternalriver Yangtze, a woman met a young stranger she falls in love with. But he can't love her back, and she can't love him if she would have known why he hascome here to find her and what kind of cruel crime the young man has committed...
Butterfly is a modern fairy tale that explores passion beyond all forbidden boundaries and love tested to its limits to defy even death. Taking a stab atsensitive historical, social issues such as the Rape of Nanking, the question arises, what is love? Where is the salvation in all the heartlessness of mankind? Are we able to love, a deed that is so often taken for granted? Perhaps love is neither simple nor always pleasant or even inhuman. In the end the protagonists have to undergo a metamorphosis in order to be reunited againon the bank of the Yangtze river where they met seven decades ago.

"Butterfly is a passionate piece of prose full of unexpected wonderment.Taking us into a stunning world that has been considered impossible before,Julie O'Yang convinces us that the power of human spirit is capable of bringing a change to the long-standing outlook of values and beliefs." Ma Jian, author of Beijing Coma

"Butterfly is a tour de force, as strong and delicate as a butterfly's wing on rice paper. An intriguingly original glimpse into the human psyche." Leanne Delehanty, author and visual artist

"Confronting us with its subtitle, Butterfly foregrounds itself as nothing more, nor less, than a novel; allowing, inviting, us to flutter throughits tale. The book never lets us forget that writing is haunted by echoes of scribere; scratching, tearing. We tear with it as it tears at us-wounding,destroying even, but never devastating. For, amidst everything there is laughter. By never letting facts get in the way of the truth, Julie O'Yang tells us stories. Her gift to us is nothing other than writing itself." Jeremy Fernando, Jean Baudrillard Fellow at The European Graduate School, and authorof Reflections on (T)error, Reading Blindly, The Suicide Bomber; and her giftof death, and Writing Death.

Julie O'Yang is a novelist and visual artist based in The Netherlands. Born and brought up in China, she came to Europe in 1990s to study at the University of London. Then she read JapaneseLanguage and Culture at the University of Leiden, Holland, and Tokyo, Japan.Her short stories, poetry and articles have appeared in magazines and newspapers worldwide.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 10:52:02 AM PST
Elizabeth Zinn's 'The Happiness Lottery'

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 10:32:31 AM PST
L. V. Sage says:
Red, White & Blues Shamelessly suggesting my own novel here! 1960's/70's timepiece: sex, drugs , rock n roll, motorcycles, but above all, great friendships!! Thanks! L.V. Sage

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 4:18:29 PM PST
The Flowers of Reminiscence.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 6:25:39 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 20, 2012 6:26:12 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 7:06:43 PM PST
My Mother's Garden free today and tomorrow. Try it on for size if you like, and then you can get a sense of my style.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 8:58:45 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 7, 2012 9:28:02 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 9:01:07 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 7, 2012 9:28:17 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 4:59:03 AM PST
saysaah says:
My favorite 5-star novel One Hundred Open Houses is FREE today and tomorrow.
Funny, honest, and you get to visit 100 new york apartments.

One Hundred Open Houses

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 1:09:20 PM PST
Judy Adams says:
New Author --

I've just posted my book, The Existence Game, on Kindle. You can read the first three chapters at my website which is http://theexistencegame.com/

Destructive parents don't raise healthy children. Jacqueline Moser has Munchausen-by-Proxy. Her daughter, Alex, pays the price.

Join Alex on her incredible journey from mental illness to full recovery - achieved with the love and dedication of a talented therapist.

"...Every night was the same. I reluctantly left my family members, and, terrified but without options, I began my nightly investigation of every place in my bedroom that a murderer might be hiding -- even, I am not kidding, inside my desk drawers. I then donned the following: two pairs of underpants, tights, leotard, tank top, long-sleeved tee-shirt, shorts, sweatpants, sweatshirt, and socks. It was an utterly miserable outfit but I felt safer, like I was wearing armor. Then, instead of getting into my bed, I got into my closet, pulling shoes, comic books, blankets and other stuff over me, so that when the murderers came in, they wouldn't see me. They'd figure I was a pile of junk.

But even then, the pile of junk couldn't get to sleep. I was constantly hallucinating the sound of footsteps, breathing, even threatening whispers that were not quite discernible, but rich with evil intent. Roasting under the blankets, I read by flashlight until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer." -- Alex Moser

Thanks for having a look!
Judy Adams

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 2:10:34 PM PST
Revolutionary Road
Art of Fielding
Franzens The Discomfort Zone
David Foster Wallace Infinite Jest
Sorry for hitting the big dogs

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 6:16:32 PM PST
Since you are seeking a suggestion, I would recommend this book. When an elderly woman wakes in a nursing home, she has no recollection of why, or how it all took place. She seeks to discover the answers by visiting her journal of yellowed pages with flowers pressed between the pages. Will these trips back in time heal her, and help her solve the mystery? The Flowers of Reminiscence

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 3:50:43 PM PST
N. Counts says:
I highly recommend Jesse Ball's Samedi the Deafness: Samedi the Deafness (Vintage Contemporaries)

Also, you could try this short story collection which is currently free (kindle only though): Bergen Vignettes

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 6:01:52 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 11, 2012 6:03:17 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 6:19:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2012 6:20:40 PM PST
County road four, by ed baker.

County Road 4

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 1:21:51 PM PST
Try this one! The Siren's Call
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (219 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  121
Total posts:  157
Initial post:  Jul 12, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions