Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

Are Literary Classics Obsolete? Salon article

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2012 10:40:12 PM PDT
Quinton Blue says:
Interesting piece by Laura Miller of Salon. I linked at my site at quintonblue.blogspot.com

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:40:27 AM PDT
No.

And no matter how many times this question comes up, the answer will always be no. It's part of the artistic process to challenge what came before you, but it's ridiculous to disregard it. Nothing happens in a void.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 12:08:21 PM PDT
In my book work of literary fiction, Poker Tales (yes, it's a book about gambling), I challenge the exclusion of poker from the genre of literary fiction. Poker Tales is the bestselling work of literary fiction on poker on Amazon, but that's not saying a lot, as there is very little literary fiction on poker on Amazon. This continues to surprise me, as I believe that the act of reading a hand of your opponent's cards is similar to reading a work of fiction.

Anyway, I channeled Chaucer, Melville, Wodehouse, and others into my novel as I did so. I think it makes for a good read despite Ms. Miller's assertion, which, if true, says more about the paltry state of American literary culture than literary culture itself. C'est la guerre! and back to the books!
Poker Tales

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 1:14:04 PM PDT
Literary classics obsolete? What a colossally absurd notion. As long as filial ingratitude exists--and it always will-- people will read King Lear. Or at least have a need to.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 2:19:15 AM PDT
I started reading classics on my own volition at 16 and discovered a fantastic world of great reading. The books are classics because they stand the test of time. As long as there are readers, the classics will endure.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (219 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  May 31, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions