Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

Literary Love Stories?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 31, 2012 2:35:09 PM PST
K. Bach says:
Hi all,
I'm not a big romance reader, but was looking for some good literary love stories. Does anyone have any recommendations? Funny is good and modern is good, but I am pretty open. I just don't want any trashy bodice-ripper types. Any advice you have would be great. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 6:21:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2012 6:22:30 AM PST
ADDDad says:
You might give this book a shot. The Final Appearance of America's Favorite Girl Next Door. One of the reviewers said "I call it a Smart Woman's Romance Novel!" A review on the product page said the writing was literary and compared it to Jennifer Egan (who, if you haven't read, you should). The review ends like this: "Complex, ambitious, and genre-bending, The Final Appearance of America's Favorite Girl Next Door is a philosophical page turner that dares to ask what it means to really know someone."

Personally, I didn't think it was a romance, but there are actually several love stories in it, so what do I know?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 3:00:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2012 3:05:29 AM PST
DK says:
Hi there
Good literary?
Love and a bit of lust?
Reality + dreams + Hallucinations...
"letters from the red house" have it all!
I am sure you'll enjoy.
letters from the red house

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 6:47:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2012 6:52:49 PM PST
You might want to try my novella, Love's Compass: A Novel.
It's contemporary, thoughtful, and is a love story.
And lucky you! - if you have a Kindle I'm offering it for $.99 for the month of February, in celebration of Valentine's Day!
Luckier still if you download it to Kindle Feb 10 - 14 - it's FREE!
It's an intelligent portrayal of both a dying love and love anew!
(It's available in hardcover and paper back as well.)

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 5:25:00 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 5, 2012 5:34:48 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 5:25:29 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 5, 2012 5:31:29 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 7:46:59 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 12, 2012 7:47:25 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 7:49:47 PM PST
K. Cholewa says:
It's what I was aiming for. Give the "look inside" a shot and see if it's your style. Shaking Out the Dead

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 5:00:04 PM PST
Ali Murtaza says:
I love you for saying what you did. Most people are not looking for stories depicting love that are of literary value. In my book I try to explore the inspiration and its link to love for a painter struggling with love and art.
To Love, or Not to Love, That is Art

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 2:40:27 AM PST
A good literary love story, no bodice-stripping stuff? I certainly agree with you! I'd recommend Fear of the Past, the complete trilogy A love story between a young American video game creator and the Duchess of Floridia, a famous 18th century Sicilian beauty (a real historical character) who married the King of Naples in 1814). How can such a thing happen, you ask. Well, the protagonist, in search of his family roots in Sicily, walks into an abandoned palazzo and meets all his ancestors, including the Duchess. They're milling about, waiting for Judgment Day...A wonderful read, a beautiful love story between two persons separated by 200 years, a real change of pace and unexpected ending!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012 10:30:58 AM PST
I would like to recommend "Body Search". It's a very different kind of love story; but for one who enjoys literary novels, it may just hit the spot. I am biased, of course. I am the author. Hope you enjoy it.

Body Search

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 10:03:02 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 20, 2012 10:22:38 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 7:04:45 AM PST
The Georgian says:
I do suggest "Whispering Tides", by Guido Mattioni, available in ebook and printed on demand as well

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 8:27:53 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 27, 2012 8:42:38 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 5:02:10 PM PST
"Poughkeepsie" by Debra Anastasia. It's funny, modern day, sweet, and has a cast of characters that will take you on a fun ride. There will be some sadness too, and I'll warn you that there is a lot of foul language, but if you're not bothered by that then I suggest you give it a try. Poughkeepsie (The Poughkeepsie Series Book 1)

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 4:51:59 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 7, 2012 5:52:33 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:00:42 PM PDT
"Candles in the Window," Kindle 99 cents, also in paperback on Amazon. Several love and sex stories in one novel (there are a number of characters/sub-plots). It's more a coming-of-age/psychological novel about college students in the 1950s, with a counterpoint to their stories involving a priest with homosexual urges. Excellent review of this book in the Baltimore Sun newspaper--see an exerpt of this review (and some excellent Amazon reviewers' comments) on Amazon under my name/book title. Thanks. Karl

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:54:08 PM PDT
My Hometown Named Love
Hi, my collection of twenty short stories about love 'My Hometown Named Love' was just published as an e-book. The stories are often melancholic with quiet sadness, some humor, with reality-reminding yearning what you can or can't have or had to let go. Not always ending happily, but full of humane touch. These stories happen in US, UK, Ireland, Finland, Italy, France... Some of them could take place universally anywhere. Check it out. I'd like to get feedback, if you end up reading these stories. :)

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 11:46:44 AM PDT
Evaline Jane says:
I would go older. Try the classics - Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, North and South, . Those are great romances. If you dont mind a little historical fiction try The Last Great Dance on Earth series or Katherine by Anya Seton.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 2:35:56 PM PDT
You might like "Meet Me Under the Umboo Tree" by Santa Montefiori. It's a sort of literary romance. I certainly enjoyed it.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 1:59:53 AM PDT
Robertrreese says:
THE LOVE LECTURE: BOOK ONE OF THREE

Jai Genji is in his first year of college at a university in Hawaii, always daydreaming about his one-sided love for Lily Fujitsubo. His friend, Myrtle Murasaki, encourages him to pursue the girl and resolves to help Jai in the matters of love. By the end of the semester, Jai is involved in a number of relationships and is suddenly absorbed as he instantly loses a hold of reality.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 12:55:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 12:55:42 PM PDT
Jessie says:
I loved Oxford Messed Up by Andrea Kayne Kaufman! Smart, modern, interesting characters with the lyrics of Van Morrison interspersed throughout...

Posted on May 22, 2012 8:53:05 AM PDT
Limelite says:
Have you heard of Anna Karenina (Maude Translation) (Carefully Crafted Classics) or Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence - Restored Modern Edition? [Grin].

For some titles a little less well known but absorbingly beautiful try: The Blind Contessa's New Machine: A Novel; Silk; Plainsong; The Moviegoer.

Out of the ordinary "love" stories: The Enchanted April (New York Review Books Classics); Green Mountain, White Cloud: A Novel of Love in the Ming Dynasty; The Man Who Fell in Love with the Moon: A Novel; The Return of the Soldier.

Biting Satire: Zuleika Dobson, or an Oxford Love Story.

My personal favorite: Love in the Time of Cholera (Vintage International).

Posted on May 23, 2012 11:53:41 AM PDT
Troy E. Hill says:
Yes, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina! Also, do you know Kundera Milan's "Unbearable Lightness of Being"? Murakami's latest, "IQ84," is a surreal journey and love story. I will also throw in my novella, A Revelation, which is a satire, fantasy, and love story. You can find it under "Troy Hill A Revelation."
Happy reading!

Posted on May 30, 2012 11:10:33 PM PDT
Quinton Blue says:
"Doctor Zhivago" by Boris Pasternak.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (219 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Jan 31, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions