Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

Do you find certain themes compelling and keep coming back to them?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012 11:46:17 AM PST
Avid Reader says:
I'm always drawn to the Indian experience and am shocked at just how many books I have read over the years that circle around the same theme: from A Passage to India, to Midnight's Children, to Interpreter of Maladies to White Teeth. These are all very different, of course, but deal with an issue of Indian identity that must be nagging at me, as someone who was born Indian adn has lived in India, England and now America. When I wrote my first book, I found myself drawn to the same theme. Do you have the same experience?

If you are interested in learning more about my book, here is the blurb:

"A Deconstructed Heart" is the story of Mirza, a middle-aged Indian college professor whose wife has left him. He moves out of his house into a tent in his back garden, where he sets up an outdoor classroom and serves tea to his kind but bewildered neighbors. He is visited by the irritable spirit of his long-dead teacher, Khan Sahib, who is befuddled by the dysfunctions of modern life.

In the north of England, Mirza's niece, Amal,is finishing up her last year of college before she is expected to join her parents in their new home in India. Asked by her father to talk her uncle back into his senses, she moves into Mirza's house, and they soon are connected by their shared loneliness. She meets Rehan, Mirza's student, and is intrigued by the path of certainty he has built over his own loss and loneliness-a certainty that is threatened by his growing feelings for her.

When Rehan disappears, Amal's suffering forces Mirza is to face the world once more. Together, Mirza and Amal must come to a new understanding of what it means to be an immigrant family when the old traditions have unraveled.

"A Deconstructed Heart" is a novella that explores the breakdown and rebuilding in one immigrant family trying to adapt: how lines in families and cultures are forcibly redrawn, how empty space can be reframed by a tent into a new definition of home... but how, no matter how hard we may try to forget, the past refuses to be contained.

A Deconstructed Heart
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (220 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions