Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

summer reading

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 18, 2012 6:42:09 PM PDT
Reader64 says:
Any suggestions for a book that I and my two college-age daughters might read and discuss this summer? (Nicholas Sparks need not apply) Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 11:04:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012 11:06:13 PM PDT
Frank Mundo says:
Shanghai Girls: A Novel by Lisa see is about arranged marriages in San francisco when angel island was California's Ellis island. Smart, thoughtful, carefully researched literary fiction. Good conversation starter. Also about sisters!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 2:17:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2012 2:18:29 PM PDT
ABSOLUTELY! I am a compulsive reader, and your request is the one that I most love to answer. A Charm for The Easy Life by Kaye Gibbons. It's about a mother, daughter, and a fabulous grandmother who is a self-taught backwoods healer/ doctor/midwife/sex educator..Charlie Kate can do it all. It's a great story of the relationship of these three women..and as I put it "A perfect women's book, great relationships and romance, but no heaving bosoms," My other "Don't Miss" recommendation is Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I liked it even more than Shanghai Girls. It has wonderful characters, fascinating historical details, and a plot that keeps unfolding in twists and turns--with not one boring moment. I also just finished a wonderful book Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum, snf You Are Welcome Here by Elizabeth Berg (VERY unusual mother daughter story)--and, in fact, all of the Books by Elizabeth Berg, starting from her earliest ones. Please post again to tell which books you read whether or not you liked them. Have fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 5:24:06 AM PDT
I read this book a couple years ago. I truly enjoyed it. Thanks for the suggestion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 5:26:10 AM PDT
Thanks so much! I read Shanghai Girls and really enjoyed it. I will keep your other suggestions for a later time this summer. The Joy Luck Club had been recommended to me, and since our library had three copies, that's what we're going with for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 6:05:54 AM PDT
Frank Mundo says:
No problem. I think, if you like LisaSee, then you'll probably enjoy The Joy Luck Club. The film version is very good as well.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 1:40:35 PM PDT
Shawn Stjean says:
BRAND new--releases in 9 days, with 70 pages available NOW. Download for FREE this Saturday and Sunday (August 4 and 5).

Author's blog: http://clothosloom.wordpress.com/
Clotho's Loom: A Novel of Literary Romance and Realism (Sample Chapters ONLY)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (220 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jul 18, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions