Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

New book recommendations?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2012 3:14:45 PM PST
B. Herod says:
Here's a snippet of what I've recently been reading and I'm hoping someone can help me with similar theme titles:

The Passage (The Stand meets The Road)
World War Z
Robopocalypse

Thanks for your help!

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 9:29:30 PM PST
Agnes says:
B. Herod, have you ever read Richard Matheson's I Am Legend?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2012 5:22:57 PM PDT
Igor Barry says:
There is a previous post-apocalypse fiction discussion in book forum that had great recommendations. Not all new or recent additions to your list, but it did hit the classics and the best of this genre.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 10:36:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2012 10:36:50 AM PDT
Grapeeyes says:
Here are just a few of the really outstanding books I've had the pleasure to read in the last year or so: "The Marriage Plot" (really wonderful), Roger Ebert's excellent, funny and moving autobiography, "Life Itself: A Memoir", "The Art of Fielding" (couldn't put it down), one of my absolute faves, the much beloved "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand", Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom". Loved, loved, loved "The Imperfectionists" by Tom Rachman. And not all that new, I guess, but who doesn't love "The Glass Castle: a Memoir" by Jeannette Walls. I'm sure I'll think of many others the minute I hit "post", but those are the winners that spring to mind.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 5:45:34 PM PDT
mikelgdw says:
"Glimpses of the Moon" by Michael Dalke-Graves, is a great new book. can be purchased on Amazon or at www.createspace.com/3763398.
Enjoy.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 1:57:38 AM PDT
Robertrreese says:
THE LOVE LECTURE: BOOK ONE OF THREE

Jai Genji is in his first year of college at a university in Hawaii, always daydreaming about his one-sided love for Lily Fujitsubo. His friend, Myrtle Murasaki, encourages him to pursue the girl and resolves to help Jai in the matters of love. By the end of the semester, Jai is involved in a number of relationships and is suddenly absorbed as he instantly loses a hold of reality.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 7:16:50 PM PDT
mikelgdw says:
"Glimpses of the Moon"
www.createspace.com/3763398
or from amazon.com

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 5:37:53 AM PDT
JAMIA HOBSON says:
Hi!

Try:

The Handmaid's Tale
The Giver (young adult fiction, but very well written)
Brave New World (you've probably read it already - a classic)

Posted on May 22, 2012 8:36:52 AM PDT
Limelite says:
The latest by Michael Ondaatje, The Cat's Table (Vintage International); Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetery; Patrick DeWItt's, The Sisters Brothers; a little less new, Long for This World: A Novel; Hilary Mantel's, Wolf Hall: A Novel; Julian Barnes' Flaubert's Parrot; Neal Stephenson's Reamde: A Novel.

Non fiction, one by one of the world's greatest physicists: Lisa Randall's Knocking on Heaven's Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universe and the Modern World.

Posted on May 23, 2012 11:56:17 AM PDT
Troy E. Hill says:
I've recently been reading Margeret Atwood and like her work a great deal. I've also heard great things about "Cloud Atlas."

Posted on May 23, 2012 2:37:29 PM PDT
Troy E. Hill says:
In the apocalypse genre: "A Revelation" by me.

Posted on May 30, 2012 12:25:55 PM PDT
Book person says:
"The Condition" by Jennifer HaighThe Condition: A Novel. Riveting story about a less-than-perfect family and how each character tries to navigate his/her way through life. Sub-plot reveals what it's like to live with Turner's Syndrome, a chromosomal abnormality in which all or part of one of the sex chromosomes is absent.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 6:25:29 AM PDT
Suzanne says:
Pym by Mat Johnson fits with the novels you listed. Apocalyptic and subtly humorous.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 11:36:52 AM PDT
dgstone says:
Having read "Cloud Atlas," I can recommend it wholeheartedly. It's one of the best books I've ever read. It is, though, very long and quite complex. Not exactly a beach read, and you can't skim any of it or you'll lose the thread. But it certainly repays the effort put into it. Another terrific book by the same author (David Mitchell) is "Black Swan Green," a shorter, less complicated book.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 10:47:02 PM PDT
Araminta says:
"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, though you may not care for it if you prefer more of a science fiction feel to your post-apocalyptic tales. It is devastatingly realistic to me. I thought it was brilliant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:21:30 AM PDT
D. House says:
I also loved both of these!

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:57:57 PM PDT
Quinton Blue says:
Can overlooked count as new? I read Elaine Gottlieb's 1947 novel called "Darkling." It got lukewarm reviews when it came out (at least the ones I could find online) and then faded. I found a used copy online and bought it. This novel was excellent. Hard to find now, though.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 8:50:21 AM PDT
Hogey says:
Whatever Sticks Most

Whatever Sticks Most - literary fiction

A great story about a burned out entrepreneur who spontaneously takes off to Jamaica for six weeks. It has insights to the island and the culture, never revealed in a novel before.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 11:20:09 PM PDT
She Caves to Conquer ... for an incredible journey into a young woman's life as she negotiates family tragedy in both the midwest and Turkey. The writer paints wonderfully evocative mental pictures as she brings pieces of both these worlds to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 6:42:54 AM PDT
Killian....name of book please.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 10:08:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 10:09:24 AM PDT
Jamie Mason says:
Based on your recent reading, I'd have to recommend White Horse: A Novel ' by Alex Adams.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 9:43:53 AM PDT
In The Country of No Compassion
Eye opening fiction

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 1:36:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2012 1:38:41 PM PDT
Shawn Stjean says:
Clotho's Loom: A Novel of Literary Romance and Realism (Sample Chapters ONLY)

BRAND new--releases in 9 days, with 70 pages available NOW. Download for FREE this Saturday and Sunday (August 4 and 5).

Author's blog: http://clothosloom.wordpress.com/

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 8:04:39 AM PDT
Lisa Stroud says:
I'm looking for adventure books written for adults, such as Michael Ondaatje's fabulous "The Cat's Table." If you share this interest, would you offer some recommendations?

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 11:08:27 PM PDT
Andrew says:
Beaten Zone has plenty of action, adventure, tragedy and literary merit.
Give it a look. It's a good, fast, and intese read.
~125 pages you won't regret!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (219 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions