Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

Please Help! Book About a Boy and a Hunting Dog...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 27, 2012 5:01:16 PM PDT
...that's NOT "Where the Red Fern Grows", "Sounder", or "Ol' Yeller"!

This book was one I read back in grade school (I'm now 54 years old, to give you an idea of how old the book is... and it was probably old when I read it!), although it was most likely intended for teens. It was about a boy and a hunting dog that couldn't be "horned" in (or called by using a horn, since the dogs hunted long distances from their owners), and would, therefore, basically hunt himself to death.

I have looked *everywhere*, for everything I can think of, and I can NOT find this book! Can anyone please help?

Many thanks, and blessings, in advance!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 9:47:28 AM PDT
Tiercel says:
You might try "Big Red". I loved it as a child and my son loved it when I read it to him...at the time he was in the 2nd or 3rd grade.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 11:58:10 AM PDT
Thanks, but that's not it, either--I just got a copy of it for a friend's son, and had to re-read it first, LOL. ("Big Red" was an Irish Setter, and they're bird dogs, which hunt close, to flush the birds for the hunter to shoot. The dog I'm thinking of was some kind of fox or coon hound.)

Why can I recall this book so well, and no one else can, or help me with a title!?! I'm beginning to think I dreamed it!

Thanks for trying, though!

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 9:33:53 AM PDT
Reader: says:
The Dog of Flanders is another good dog / boy coming of age book.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:34:39 AM PDT
Is it on this list of dog books for young readers? ...
http://www.dogbooks.com/kids.htm

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 9:41:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 11, 2012 9:41:52 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 1:48:24 PM PDT
jamie says:
The adventures of tin tin!

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 5:50:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 12, 2012 5:52:18 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 11:45:36 AM PDT
Try THE HUNTING HORN

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 11:49:11 AM PDT
Try THE HUNTING HORN & Other Dog Stories
By Paul Annixter; or The Buscuit Eater by James Street

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 2:02:15 PM PDT
Try The Voice of Bugle Ann; or Farewell, My Lady.(.I think that I managed to read all of my library's dog books (fiction and non-fiction) by the time I was 12) I'll post any others if they come to mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 4:41:23 PM PDT
Hi!
You know, I'm going to bet that this one is it! Will have to read it, to be sure, of course, but I just found either all, or part, of the story in a Jan 1947 issue of Colliers, published online, so I can check it out there, and look for it to buy if this is it!

Thanks *VERY* much! I'll let you know whether this is, or isn't, the right book!

Regards!

M.E. Shropshire

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 4:59:36 PM PDT
Hi Karen!
Thanks! I'll check it out! And I know what you mean about the books in the library: I read *all* the books, not just those about animals, but those about boys with cars, etc, that couldn't ~possibly~ have interested me! Back then, there wasn't a library--city, county, etc--for more than 30 miles, and it was over bad mountain roads, so I was happy to have *anything* to read!

If the above-suggested book doesn't turn out to be it, then I'll check your suggestions out! (And I may check them out anyway!)

Thanks, very much, and best wishes!

M.E. Shropshire

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 4:50:23 PM PDT
[[ASIN:B006SLZ9I8 Night of the Harvest Moon (Georgia Low Country Fiction)
M. E. try 'The Yearling,' by Marjorie Keenan Rawlings. The book was made into a movie. The setting is north central florida on cross creek in the early nineteen hundreds. Hope this is what you are looking for. Marshall Dell
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (219 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jun 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions