Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

You and three or four books on a deserted island . . .

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2010 8:42:49 PM PST
avdrdr says:
If you found yourself on a deserted island what three of four books would you hope to find under a palm tree?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 8:55:19 PM PST
Rose Marie says:
Well the First one would be the Book Florida. It starts and tells about 3 Generations. Then To Kill a Mocking Bird(which I have read but I love it) And James Patterson's book about Alex Cross. I have two I have yet to read so I would take them along to read. And I hope by that time I would have a good Tan and maybe lost some weight. I would then be ready to come home and see what books are out.
RDER

Posted on Jan 18, 2010 1:23:48 PM PST
The Elegance of the Hedgehog to remind me how much life can be inspite of seemed circumstance, The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo because I will need distraction, My Life in France because it is fun and I will feel like i am eating and Life on Pi because I am in the same 'boat' ,ok also the Invisible Man because I havent yet read it and it is MLK day today.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 11:58:02 AM PST
The Sun Also Rises, Islands In The Stream, All Quiet On The Western Front & The Collected Poems Of Wilfred Owen

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 8:42:04 AM PST
Mrs. Danvers says:
My number one choice would be the book "How To Build A Boat With A Palm Tree"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 8:03:33 AM PST
dumb_ox says:
Mine would be "How to build a woman out of a failed attempt to build a boat with a palm tree"

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 6:53:04 AM PDT
Obelix says:
The Inheritors, William Golding
Collected Poems, Seamus Heaney
Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck
Last Orders, Graham Swift

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 7:34:47 PM PDT
Marion Stein says:
1. Cien Años de Soledad
2. One Hundred Years of Solitude (P.S.)
Why? Because my Spanish is good but not great. However, I'm convinced that if I could get through the Spanish version, I'd be truly fluent, and it would help to have the English version available to get me through any rough patches. After all, I'm stuck on an island, I might as well perfect a skill.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 6:10:25 PM PDT
Gravity's Rainbow; Absalom, Abalom; The Dream Songs; Flannery O'Connor's Complete Stories.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 7:35:37 PM PDT
Jacob King says:
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe; The Oddessy by Homer; Treasure Island by RL Stevenson; Moby Dick by Herman Melville.
Actually this sounds like a fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 9:25:48 AM PDT
Good choices. They go with the desert island/ocean motif of the question.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 4:43:15 PM PDT
Marco S. says:
Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living: Surviving with Nothing But Your Bare Hands and What You Find in the Woods

SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For Any Climate, in Any Situation

Hunt, Gather, Cook: Finding the Forgotten Feast

Survival Wisdom & Know How: Everything You Need to Know to Subsist in the Wilderness

LOL

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 1:36:30 PM PDT
Deedles says:
I'm with Marco S. Practical beats literary.

Posted on May 2, 2012 8:33:22 PM PDT
Howards End, The House Of Mirth, Sense and Sensibility, and Curtain.

Posted on May 2, 2012 10:29:55 PM PDT
Quinton Blue says:
I'd choose "How to Survive on a Deserted Island" by Tim O'Shei ... "Awareness: The Perils and Opportunities of Reality" by Anthony de Mello ... "Jokes Every Man Should Know" by Don Steinberg

Posted on May 18, 2012 1:50:22 AM PDT
A customer says:
Poetry: Yeats
Novel: Lonesome Dove
Short stories: John Cheever
Letters: Flannery O'Connor
Reviews: Pauline Kael

(Sorry, Shakespeare.)

Posted on May 22, 2012 8:11:38 AM PDT
Limelite says:
Anthologies. It would have to be anthologies against the prospect of being stranded a long time. Probably both collections by Dorothy Dunnett: The Lymond Chronicles and the Niccolo series. Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. The Complete Works of Jane Austen. And to round it out, ditto Thomas Man, since I could read anything he writes more than once.

If you're being generous, allow me to add all of Will and Ariel Durant's "Civilization" volumes. Thank you. Now I'm content.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 3:58:47 PM PST
John says:
Haha!
There are some great choices on here but I wouldn't want to get off the island, it would be my dream come true!

I would take -
One Hundred Years of Solitude
One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich
Meaning of Theft
And American Psycho

A good combination of old and new

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:41:42 AM PST
Harry Posner says:
Les Miserables, The Collected Poems of e.e. cummings, Shantaram, A Softness in the Eyes, Charivari. Some old, some new, some yet to be.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:44:58 PM PST
avdrdr says:
Mr. Posner, "A Softness in the Eyes" sounded ever so interesting to me but, alas, it was nowhere to be found. A little more research revealed that it was indeed "something yet to be" by none other than you! I wish you the best with your second novel. If it's as good as the title it will be wonderful!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 1:29:02 PM PST
MACLEAR says:
As I would finally have enough time, patience and fortitude I would choose Pinchyon's Gravity's Rainbow, Gaddis' The Recognitions, and JR (none of which I have read) and two that I have: Collected Plays by Shakespeare and Dante's Divine Comedy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 6:52:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 6:54:05 AM PST
Della says:
Cardstitcher's first three are absolute favorites so I must look up "Curtain!"

OT I would pick really long novels like, "War and Peace."

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:49:39 PM PST
Elle Biene says:
Practical takes the fun out of it. Imagine the island is inhabited by magic pixies who supply basic needs but refuse to interact with you.
1. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I could read it over and over -- and have.
2. The Thirteen Clocks by James Thurber.
3. Great Mambo Chicken and the Trans-Human Condition by Ed Regis.
4. Best Loved Poems of the American People

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 7:33:32 PM PDT
Poems, so I can keep my brain alive by learning them by heart.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (219 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions