Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Customer Discussions > M M Romance forum

Overwhelmed with choices

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2010 9:52:32 AM PST
Neon Night says:
I recently fell in love with m/m romance and find myself drowning in in a pool of Kindle samples and books yet to be read or completed before I latch on to another selection.

Does anyone have suggestions for paring down choices, outside of sticking with favorite authors which tends to wax and wane for me? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 1:57:50 PM PST
Sirius says:
Hi, I hear you about tons of suggestions and choices, this genre is blooming, but I hope it will result in more gems and less trash (of course we all have different definitions of what gem and trash is) eventually.

I can tell you what I do, there are couple of review sites whose reviewers I trust very much and I found a lot of wonderful books per their recommendations, I also trust the recommendations of the people who know my tastes, their recommendations almost never dissapoint me and sometimes open my mind and thanks to them I would read a book I would have never read on my own.

Do I check out my favorite authors? Yes, and it works more often than not however some of my favorite authors recently dissapointed me rather consistently, so I am about to drop them from my autobuy list. I get a feeling that sometimes the more famous writer gets there is more chance of getting crappy work from her due to pressure of producing more and more books, JMO of course. I still have several authors on autobuy though and love their work.

Oh and I do like to check out new releases from Dreamspinner, MLR press which I decide whether to buy or not simply based on blurb or cover, this is of course always an adventure for me, where I know I am taking a chance that it will be crap, but it also worked for me often enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 10:52:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2010 10:52:51 AM PST
I like Charly's lists. Here is one:

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R2IQ5IIV15V8JN/ref=cm_pdp_lm_title_1

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 8:42:19 AM PST
Can you narrow things down a bit in terms of what you're looking for? What genres do you prefer? What sorts of themes or activities? Lighter reads or darker ones? Sci-fi, contemporary, steampunk? BDSM, shifters, men in uniform? Gay for you, slave/capture, happy fluff?

Rachel Haimowitz
Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen)

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 7:25:06 PM PST
Neon Night says:
Hi Rachel. I like m/m romance, contemporary, sci-fi and action/adventure w/ undercover ops/law enforcement/special forces/espionage. Not too dark but gritty's okay. No BDSM and no menage. I'm specifically looking for light d/s, power imbalance, alpha/beta, bigger/smaller, older/younger, brunet/blond, opposites-attract, and gay-for-you.

I've downloaded a sample of Counterpoint after reading the blurb.

Thanks!
Sandy

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 8:00:55 PM PST
Amy Lane says:
And do check out the m/m forums at goodreads.com-- they are unmonitored for language, and are very frank about what what's in a book and why a reader enjoyed or didn't enjoy it! Also, there is a "Moderatrix" who keeps the trolls at bay. (But they're never crass--it's just the goodreads.com format gives people a chance to be a little more candid than the 'zon.)

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 12:58:59 AM PST
I share Amy's recommendation to check out Goodreads. There's a forum called M/M Romance, and another called Kindle Smut, that are both very active and have thorough, well-sorted bookshelves and discussion threads.

I'd recommend you check out just about anything by Aleksandr Voinov. He does a lot of historical, but also does a lot of military/law enforcement M/M. His stuff does tend toward gritty, but he's a brilliant author. Maybe start with Risky Maneuvers. For the bigger/smaller-alpha/beta fix, try Kari Gregg's Spoils of War. Be forewarned that it does start out quite dark (mentions of noncon), but it has such a delicious HEA that I don't think you'll mind, and the relationship at the center of it sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Hope you enjoy Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen)! :)

Rachel Haimowitz
Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen)

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 5:16:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2010 5:17:40 PM PST
Sassy Lane says:
Well if you like size discrepancy and para, you could try Stormy Glenn's Wolf Creek Pack series. Pure fluff and a secret guilty pleasure for many who love the genre. Not many ladies admit to reading her but so many do... :) BTW they are menage but they are commited Tri-ads of wolves (lifelong, once mated the omegas would die without their mates) where the small one has powers so overwhelming that he must have two "protecters" to keep him balanced and alive. Just look out for her M/F and M/F/M menage because it SUCKS.
She also writes 2-3 contemporary series, the Sammy Dane series, Call Me Sir series and the Promise series. They aren't AS fluffy, decent reads.

JL Langley's With/Without series is not to be missed! Absolutely first class and her space opera series starting is My Fair Captain is excellent. I couldn't stand her book My Convenient Husband, but hey if that is all that annoys me, I am ahead of the game.

Personally I started kinda fluffy and lighthearted in my reading and grew from there.
I hope you have an excellent time figuring out what you like.
Sassy

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 9:06:46 PM PDT
Niki says:
My memory is failing me. A Josh Lanyon release just popped up in the gay/lesbian romance list, A Ghost of a Chance. Is this really new ? Sirius or anyone ? thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 5:47:58 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 29, 2012 5:48:09 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 5:51:10 PM PDT
Kathleen says:
Another forum with a TON of recs is: "gay male erotica/fiction for the straight girl"
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the M M Romance forum (90 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  M M Romance forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions