Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Customer Discussions > Mac forum

What is the best printer for a mac?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 84 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 3:20:51 PM PDT
Randy Singer says:
Sorry, I didn't want to give the impression that the Brother MFC7460 is a bad product. Like most Brother products it is probably a very good product. It's just that most printer companies cut corners on their less expensive products to save money, or worse, they attempt to make more money by requiring you to purchase expensive consumables more often.
The MFC7460 is probably an excellent choice for an office where printing/copying demands are light.

Posted on May 2, 2012 12:12:26 PM PDT
OMG. My head is spinning! (And my wallet soon will be, too. Ha!) Anyways, all of what you both have said is soooo much appreciated. You have given me much more info (including specifics) than all of the articles and blogs I've read online. If I had a printer, I'd print this out, and take it with me to the store. (Nope. Don't have a smart phone either. I know. I really gotta get with it.) Anyways, consider yourselves thanked. I have to check on prices before I buy, but at least I know what to price out. Now if I could just find these printers/scanners being sold by a local biz that's closing shop . . . (on to the next project)

Posted on May 5, 2012 4:27:12 PM PDT
D. Meyer says:
Finally ready to make the leap to a Macbook Pro from a PC. I need recommendations for a new All in One printer that will work with the Mac, plus a wireless mouse & keyboard so I can use the whole system like a PC on my desk. I can't use the laptop keyboard as my fingernails are too long. I want something like the original IBM typewriter keyboard with highly raised letters. Thanks for your direction.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 8:31:43 PM PDT
Randy Singer says:
Okay, do you need a color inkjet all-in-one, or a black and white laser all-in-one? How many pages a week to you expect to need to be printing?

I like a more traditional keyboard myself. I use this one:
Under $32

It isn't wireless, but it plugs into your laptop via USB in two seconds with no other fooling around.
Actually, any keyboard for any computer will work fine with a Mac. All of the software is built-in. But it's nice to have a keyboard that has all of the special Macintosh command keys marked correctly.

Would you like me to refer you to a nice Macintosh discussion list so you can get feedback from a bunch of knowledgeable Mac users?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 8:41:14 PM PDT
D. Meyer says:
thanks for your speedy reply, Randy. Need color inkjet all-in-one, using maybe 10-20 sheets/week, with a max of 50-60/week if during big project.

can I use a Mac mouse with a different keyboard? I have a Microsoft Wireless comfort Keyboard 4000 now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 9:01:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 9:02:53 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
You can use your current keyboard, at worst a handful of the buttons may be reversed though, but you can get used to that.

Sounds like you might be interested in a mechanical keyboard though? Das Keyboard and Razer among others make ones with Mac layouts (or buttons you can pop off and flip around for OS X).

There's also an OS X exclusive keyboard using fake-ALPS switches from a Canadian company that looks like it might be promising, but the name escapes me at the moment.

If you're happy with your current keyboard though you can just use it if you want to.

EDIT: For that matter, Microsoft's drivers for it probably let you remap the Windows key and whatnot to be more "normal" for OS X, although you wouldn't even HAVE to install separate drivers for it.

Printers, I'd just do a solid HP Inkjet and an HP or Canon scanner personally.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 9:08:17 PM PDT
Randy Singer says:
I'd go for a Canon MX 870:
(You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere. I just checked on Amazon first.)

Canon has a newer equivalent model, but it has more expensive consumables.

You can use any mouse and any keyboard in any combination with a Macintosh. The only limitation is that they must connect via USB. (A PS2 to USB adapter will work fine.) I like Logitech scrollwheel wireless mice myself.
However, the latest version of the Mac OS has several nice features that you can take advantage of with their trackpad.

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:07:29 AM PDT
D. Meyer says:
Thanks for all your help! I spent 2 1/2 hrs. in the Apple store yesterday, only to find out at the end that Mac does not do well with Quicken! So off to Best Buy to buy a PC afterall. I was so disappointed not to have all the fancy graphics of a Mac. Now that I'm staying with a PC (got a HP notebook), what is the best All-in-One printer for same? Any thoughts on the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus?

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 8:18:01 AM PDT
Kort says:
Congrats on your purchase D. Sorry Macs didn't work out for you, but I'm not sure what you mean about fancy graphics. Windows has them too. Did you mean the slick looking OSX?

I've seen recent discussions about all-in-one printers in the forums recently. Just dig around a bit and I'm sure you find what you need. Can't help you with info on the 8600, sorry.

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:31:43 AM PDT
Of note: If Quicken and Quickbooks for Mac are at all related, then I agree . . . neither one works well on a Mac. I spent at least 4 whole days allowing Quickbooks tech staff to remotely access my computer to try to fix whatever glitch was occurring. (NB: I asked for an American techie, but they said that Quickbooks doesn't employ any techie assistants in America.) Each time, they only made things worse, and they ended up hanging up on me a lot (claiming to have lost the connection, but I think they just were looking for an escape, passing me on to the next guy who might take my call in the queue). I went to a local "Quickbooks Pro" who also didn't know what to do to fix my software glitch. Ultimately, the Apple store people had to go and remove a ton of "qb" (Quickbooks) files that the Quickbooks guys had remotely installed/saved on my computer, because it was causing my computer to slow down and stall. Don't get Quickbooks for Mac unless you are very seasoned with their software! Their customer service is bunk. I spent a lot of money (not just on the software but on childcare, loss of billable hours, etc.) for nothing but a very big headache.

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:37:17 AM PDT
D. Meyer says:
My concerns exactly!! Wish they had told me that in the beginning. I've spent weeks researching Macs and making the decision. I guess PC is best for my business. Thanks for your comments, Cosmopolitancowgirl.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 8:37:30 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean by "fancy graphics" either...

I tend to stay with separate scanners and printers just because I figure there's less to go wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's a quality printer.

Regarding Quicken, I was very unimpressed with the Mac version but this was like 7 years ago maybe. It was inexplicable to me why it wasn't just compatible with and identical to the Windows version. Sounds like it's still bad!

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 7:34:57 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Missed this back in the day.

I used to be a big fan of laser printers...until they found out they're dangerous. Emit particles that act like asbestos in our lungs/can be as bad as standing in traffic during rush hour.

Posted on May 22, 2012 5:56:19 AM PDT
Nick Five says:
I like Canon's for ease of use and flexibility, but my second Pixma MP, all in one just died. Average life span around 16 months. Not a happy bunny :-( i think I will be looking elsewhere this time.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 7:10:48 AM PDT
A. Funk says:
Don't get a Kodak printer!!! They make noise at odd times. Scare the heck out of you when the office is empty and all of a sudden it decides to do something and turns on. And my MAC never seem to be able to find the printer wirelessly. Basically the whole thing suck. Good on ink, but that's it. AF

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 8:29:28 AM PDT
Kort says:
I wouldn't get anything from Kodak any more if you expect any form of after purchase support, but that's another story. Some printers do come on from time to time to do a self cleaning. I have an HP that does that. The trick is to set it to a time when no one is around.

Posted on May 22, 2012 9:34:29 AM PDT
Trina Munoz says:
I own a canon pixma mp990 and I have had nothing but trouble printing from wifi and USB. It prints good from windows but not Mac.

Posted on May 27, 2012 7:59:43 PM PDT
I have had TWO HP All-in-one printers and am totally disgusted. The printer software continually "disappears" from my iMac. It has been a total nightmare. HP Tech told me the 1st printer's " software" was to old. so I purchased a new HP PhotosmartPlus ...same thing!! I am done with HP....FOREVER!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 4:53:17 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Did you install the newest drivers from

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 5:41:35 PM PDT
Sorry for the delay....out of town. I called HP AGAIN, and have the problem sorted out, til next time. They say it's a wireless connection issue. My software is up to date, but they gave me steps to follow for the "next" occurrence. Still irritating!

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 1:39:53 PM PDT
Kort and Randy: I'm finally ready to make the leap and buy a Canon Ink Jet. I'm either going to get the Canon PIXMA MX882 Wireless, found at Canon Pixma MX882 Wireless Office All-in-One Inkjet Printer (4894B002) , or the newer model of that same printer, the Canon PIXMA MX892, found at Canon PIXMA MX892 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax . If you go to those two links, you'll notice that the "older" model (the 882) has over 300 very positive reviews. But the newer model has only 5 reviews, and none are that good. Apparently, the newer model differs from the older model only in that it offers wireless printing from your iPhone/iPad (the iPrint feature) or Android phone (the Cloud feature). That new feature is quite nice, and would be advantageous. But I wonder if it's worth the extra expense. How did these new features (seemingly small) screw up the device so much? Of the first 5 to review this newer model, they don't seem happy. What do you think?

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 2:07:02 PM PDT
Kort says:
I'm sure you won't go wrong with either, though keep in mind it is best to go with the latest generation instead of a previous gen., for the sake of overall compatibility and abilities. Inks will be available longer as well. There are likely more upgrades to the new model than just the i-Print features and since it is new 5 reviews isn't out of the ordinary. Of the first 5, 3 do seem fairly pleased with the printer and I can't help but think the 1-star reviewer are doing something wrong or just happened to get defective products.

While all 3 of the PIXMA's I've purchased have been solid and remain so, they do keep getting better with each version.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:47:07 PM PDT
Randy Singer says:
The reviews of the MX892 are quite good on Canon's Web site:
and the MX892 is slightly cheaper at NewEgg:

I suspect that you will find that either choice will be good.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 6:20:25 PM PDT
Did you ever post your results about this printer? I couldn't find it if you did. I'm considering this printer, and was wondering what you thought of it. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 7:21:39 PM PDT
I'm not sure which printer you are referring to, but I had problems with the HP about two weeks ago. after two and a half hours with a great HP tech, he could not solve the problem. I then called Apple, explained what HP had me do. The highest level Apple tech walked me through so addition steps, with resulted with another error message. BOTTOM LINE: there is a problem with my new iMac! The HP Photosmart Plus B 210 works great. I now will recommend HP printers for Macs!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mac forum (212 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mac forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  84
Initial post:  Oct 24, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 25, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions