Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Customer Discussions > Manga forum

Yaoi Manga/Anime Discussion II

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2010 5:22:01 PM PST
Niki says:
Dammit it too! I just noticed close the last door 2 and no touching at all after I made 2 orders back to back. But I do not think I can hold off much longer on Close the last door 2. This one has been too long coming.
What? A preorder available on dramaqueen ! Guys thanks for the update.
I am so behind on my Yaoi reading but so what. Just keep the titles rolling :)

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 3:23:06 AM PST
lore says:
I'm stubbornly sticking by Amazon pre-orders, which means I'm always a few weeks behind you guys, but gawd, 10 books...I save roughly $4 per book, so $40 saved. That's like getting 3+ books free. The worst part is disagreeing with the general consensus on a book well after you've already discussed it. T_T

Lately, I've been keeping a lot of the same books by the bedside. I don't always move the read ones right away, and if less than a week later, I can't remember much of the book, I'll flip through it again. On one hand, forgetting the plots of books quickly is good, because it makes their re-read value go up. On the other, dang; shouldn't we be getting better quality stories? I think I'm still in a funk over all the "big name" titles that have come out that begin with rape. I haven't read anything lately that I feel like recommending, and if I review the Big ongoing titles with rape warnings, it will put people off the remaining volumes that are far less dire.

I guess I'm just wishing for a new round of big-name title licenses, some that don't feature rape, that I could look forward to wholeheartedly. But there's been a real licensing drought lately. It makes me a little nervous. Are the publishers not planning too far ahead?

Someone asked about "Treasure". According the Baka reports, it's 4 volumes. It also was first published in 1998. The book itself says 2005, but that might just have been a copyright update. The book is extra thick with two stories listed - one about 100 pages and the other closer to 150 pages. That's too short to be two volumes put together. If it helps, this is the same mangaka that did "Vanilla", which is also listed circa 1998. I've read and liked "Sighing Kiss" from this same mangaka, but that story is 2003, and I think the art definitely shows progression. Why DMP is determined to put out all of Yamakami's older works, I couldn't guess.

If you've read all of Yamada Yugi's works, you might have noticed that several of her books have stories with the same characters running through them. It can get pretty confusing once you have the vague feeling you've read about a character before. Some day, I'll try to make a list of the character sets' appearances in order, if I can figure it out.

I read the novel "Body Language" last week. Wow - lots of smexin', some of it quite unrealistic, some not, and very little plot. Cute, though. I think it made me squirmy in the good way at the beginning, but then it became too repetitive.

BP, I hope all is well in your world. <3

love, lore

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 5:08:08 AM PST
C. R. Emery says:
same boat here with waiting. just cannot afford to toss away that much when I can wait a few interminable weeks and save that much. even for yamada! and I do feel like the Lone Stranger much of the time when my individual feelings strongly disagree with so many. on the shojo front, did order from amazon two, Maid Sama 7 is delish for anyone reading who has not gotten yet. and Vampire Knight 11 was terrific as well. really cannot wait for next.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 10:31:11 AM PST
P. Rothwell says:
Hey Emery, if this thread was a chorus of agreement I for one would have stopped reading a long time ago. I get the same feeling sometimes too, especially in my obstinate refusal to be bowled over by Yugi Yamada's artwork. Dunno why it just doesn't do it for me. As for being the Lone Stranger - what with my Unfortunate Gender Choice I do feel a bit out on a limb sometimes here, not as a result of anything you fine people do or say, I hasten to add, it's all in my head.

And Lore - talking about being behind the times, I've just ploughed through "...but I'm your Teacher" if anyone wants to dust off their dim and distant memories of that little number. Scary hermaphrodite ukes and very rude indeed in places. Can't remember anything else. Onto the re-read/possibly dump pile it goes...*sigh*

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 10:58:06 AM PST
C. R. Emery says:
I remember that one...teacher! still have, and remember very questionably male teacher but keeper, at least so far.. although definitely not in the Serious Story section...

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 11:58:44 PM PST
P. Rothwell says:
Morning all, not wishing to start the day on a down note but...if you head over to Japanator there's more updates on the Japanese anti-sexual content bill (formerly the anti-loli bill, now expanded to include pretty much everything) - apparently the bill now encompasses all overt depictions of sexuality, including when, y'know - 'a salaryman loves another salaryman very very much and they get certain feelings and want to lie very very close together' (English school sex ed. - somewhat modified) ...yes laydeez, stock up on yaoi, the ice age is coming...

Seriously though, the Japanese economy is in intensive care and they want to pass a bill which effectively steps on it's oxygen feed?? Madness...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 6:00:01 AM PST
C. R. Emery says:
hopefully cooler economic heads will prevail. I cannot imagine the fallout if not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 6:02:15 AM PST
C. R. Emery says:
another obscure smutty delight with marginally more boyish boys is I want to be naughty. entertaining story, good faces and bodies, but there is a serious overdose of ?screen tones? so many textures and thises and thatses that it was hard to get used to.l

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 8:49:19 AM PST
indigo says:
Gee, I liked But I'm Your Teacher. I liked the lead story "But I'm Your Teacher," Bloom, and Voice Box. I think Bloom was my favorite. The last story "View Thorough the Lens," was dark, but different. At least the stories were explicit.
I also like I Want To Be Naughty. I like the lead story "I Want to Be Naughty," as well as "I Can't Resist You." "I Can't Resist You " was my favorite when Jin says. "Swear your c****** will always be mine."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 8:55:17 AM PST
C. R. Emery says:
yes, consider them both to be Guilty Pleasures. Biyt is takakura row art if I remember? does draw "types" but I like the look. also did a 2 voilume series with first one better, Seme was big blolnd, and family buddhist priest? saucy, aggressive uke, funny stuff. had almost forgotten about both but was going through my list of book boxes to find one in particular and trippec over them. not up to digging out from under the crap (hazards of living with others) but will damned well get them out this weekend and shift my stock. have a 3 x 3 bookshelf in my room double stacked with current stuff, but time to switch out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 9:05:54 AM PST
C. R. Emery says:
eh, maybe shinto priest, but good story

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 9:20:56 AM PST
indigo says:
CR, you got it right. I Can't Stop Loving You, Vol. 1 features a super strong uke who keeps hurting his lover, the Buddhist exorcist.
One of my fall projects was reorganizing my yaoi alphabetically. Now I can actually find something reasonably fast. If I ever start selling any someday, I also culled the ones that I don't want anymore. Completing something is a lovely feeling; I just wished it happened more often!

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 9:22:38 AM PST
indigo says:
I'm holding off on ordering from Akadot, although I dearly want Tyrant 2 and Close the Last Door 2!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 9:32:59 AM PST
C. R. Emery says:
lovely to Finish something!! any damned thing... problem wityh living with 3 other adults is that you (probably) cannot just tear off heads and say GET THIS CLEANED/ORGANIZED/FIXED!! stuff hanging arounhd for almiost 3 years. KILLING ME...

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 4:11:08 AM PST
Robbie says:
Concerning DQ; It's good to hear they are still kicking! I really want them to continue The Summit 1. I also saw that Rightstuf has Virtuoso Di Amore (Yaoi) in Stock. Not sure if it's a reprint or they found a box in some back corner. I haven't read it but from the reviews on Amazon it appears to be a dark.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 4:19:33 AM PST
T. LaPonte says:
Virtuoso di Amore is one of my favorite DQ titles. Actually, along with Challengers, it's one of the few DQ titles I occasionally reread. I don't know if I'd call it "dark," but it's certainly on the "serious" side of the genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 5:29:11 AM PST
C. R. Emery says:
finally got kizuna 1 omni--much MUCH better, smoother translation, really so impressed. but now I want the rest of the story, the entire rest of the story in the next, oh, two or three days...

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 6:53:31 PM PST
D. L. Wise says:
Due to economically incorrect decisions, I got some goodies from Akadot today. I do cringe when I think about the money my impatience makes me waste. Those of you making sound buying decisions are to be applauded. Especially when the book I paid full price for is sort of meh.

I read My Bad by Rize Shinba today and for what it's worth, here's my opinion.

The book's an anthology which 90% of the time spells doom for my reading enjoyment. This was no exception. There's just not enough time for character development and these ultra fast love/love developments just don't reach out and make much of an impression.

There are five separate stories and a four page extra for story one at the end of the book. We have landlord's son in love with tenant. Individual in love with mail delivery man. Brilliant high schooler and male housekeeper. Student in love with train conductor and two supposed high school enemies who, in reality, are in a relationship.

The first two stories were okay, nothing special. The third one was one of those I know several people have stated they hate. The "I've been raped but now I'm in love" scenario. I'll admit there were hints that the housekeeper was starting to have feelings for his young boss but nothing overt. The subsequent love confession which happens a couple of days after the "incident" seems over the top. For me the best story was the one about the student and the train conductor. In fact, I wish the entire book had been about this couple. The story development here was really plausible. The kid becomes attracted to the conductor's voice and ends up riding the train a lot just to hear his announcements. I liked the conductor's personality, gruff/kind and the kid was sensible and just plain likeable. This is a story I could have gotten into. I wish there had been more. The last story was another at just okay level. Nothing remarkable.

The book's rated 16+ and there are sexual situations but no overt nudity or detailed drawings of such. I'll let this one sit awhile and reread it, but it may go on the "to be auctioned off" pile.

I started reading Rize Shinba's Intriguing Secrets and got as far as chapter one. After reading just that much I'll admit to being pleased and...intrigued. I felt the magaka's writing style had matured and after looking at the copyrights I see this book was published four years after My Bad. It shows. I'm looking forward to continuing when time permits. Unfortunately I've got a deadline to make. Dang it.

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 10:48:51 AM PST
D. L. Wise says:
You guys, I just finished Intriguing Secrets by Rize Shinba and it's absolutely lovely. Sweet, gentle and angsty with some light humor about two high school boys and their growing friendship. I loved it.

Just a couple of kisses and mild touching at the end so nothing explicit here. The art is pretty too. Nicely drawn, expressive faces. This book is a definite keeper and one I'll enjoy rereading.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 11:53:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2010 11:56:06 AM PST
lore says:
CRE - Let's make a pact that we'll give our opinions even when they aren't with the majority. I have to keep telling myself that no one here is going to jump on me for having another opinion. ^_^

Paul - Re: "But I'm Your Teacher". Wow, I'm pretty sure I read this one, but I can't remember a thing from it. All I know is that I read it around the same time as "Because I'm a Boy" and I loathed Boy so much, I think the other books I read around it seemed great in comparison. Reading the reviews, it sounds sounds like I wouldn't have liked it, though....

Which brings me to "Love Potion", which I read last night. Help me group, you're my only hope! There's a lot I shouldn't have liked about "Love Potion". I'm not a fan of teachers with students or any under-age with older pairings, which is what all the stories in this book were about. Yet...I didn't hate it. I won't say it was brilliant, but I did find it sweet. Has BL finally broken me down and subverted my moral code?? I already knew I was in the moral weeds just reading BL, but I've been too fascinated by the idea and culture of it to give up on BL. Is "Love Potion" just that cute and innocent, or have I become numb to age differences? If it's numbness, will noncon be far behind? Woe! Help! ( take this with a big dose of: ~_^ )

Now, I did like "I Want to be Naughty" quite a bit. That was the gem of the Kitty Media one-shots that came out around the same time back then. I really didn't like Row's "I Can't Stop Loving You," but I think that's because Row's work, in general, either suffered from bad translations or the stories are too cracked to be properly translated.

Re: DramaQueen - Honestly, 1 book every 6 months is still not inspiring any confidence for DQ from me. "The Summit" never did make it to Amazon, and I'm fine letting this series go by the wayside for a variety of reasons. If the new book is a one-shot, I might order it from RightStuf, but that's as far as I'm willing to go with DQ for now.

DL, I'm so sorry not all of your latest purchases were good reads. I guess that ~is~ another reason I hold out for Amazon discounts. A "meh" book bought at $8.73 doesn't seem as bad as one bought nearer to cover price. The real shame is that shorter print runs means that even "meh" books quickly go out of print and can't be purchased for a serious used discount. I think I paid $4 back in the day for a used "Little Cry Baby". If I had paid more, I would have been tearing my hair out! It would be nice to hold off on buying a book until the reviews are in and then, if I'm still curious, I could buy it used. I miss those days.

love, lore

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 1:47:20 PM PST
D. L. Wise says:
lore - I want to be in on your pact. Everyone should state their true opinions whether they run with the majority or not. I like hearing a variety as seeing a book through another reader's eyes sometimes reveals things I didn't see myself. Also everyone has a right to their opinion. Just because someone doesn't like the same books I do doesn't mean I think ill of that person. I respect them for being true to themselves and for not being swayed by the opinions of others.

Re Love Potion, I liked it too so I'll be no help in steering you away from the growing wickedness of your tastes. ;D

As far as book buying goes, well it's always a crapshoot in a way, isn't it? I've no reason for complaint. They can't all be gems and I'm willing to wade through some mediocre to get to the good stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 2:19:46 PM PST
lore says:
DL - Of course, we all have a right to our opinions! But like in any crowd, it can sometimes be harder to voice them when you have the dissenting ones. It's more about personal bravery than public ridicule (at least, it is these days). You're in the pact now, mam! ~_^

On Love Potion (Yaoi) (Yaoi Manga), I suppose the fact that the younger men were at least portrayed to be somewhat older teens helped. Time also seems to pass funny in BL stories. I'm kind of assuming at least a year had passed for that first couple. I hope, anyway. And can you teach in Japan with just the high school degree? If that's so, then the older person in the couple was only 18, which doesn't seem quite so bad. Something tells me I'm fooling myself, though...arrgh! I still like it. For whatever reason, it didn't push my "age differences" button. Maybe it had to do with the student being the aggressor again, which is how I managed to enjoy "Hey, Sensei".

Finally, I can share a deal with you that's current! Amazon has Black Butler: Season One, Part 1 (Limited Edition) on sale for $39.99, which is the best price out there at the moment (without membership benefits). Still not sure how I feel about only getting half a season for $40, but I thought I'd pre-order and see what happens. I read almost all of volume 3 last night. It's a twisted little story.

love, lore

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 4:00:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2010 4:03:46 PM PST
Niki says:
DL, you are not alone! You are not the only one cringing over money wasted. I often buy straight from Akadot and Yaoi club. And this week has been no exception when Amazon tells me most of these releases are available next year! So my impulsive buying habit was at work and I did get Close the Last Door 2 and the exclusive No Touching At All on top of all the recent Akadot releases. Having the Yaois 1 week later in my hands just makes happier after a long day at work but the international freight is really exorbitant. But what the heck no regret! Thanks for your take on Intriguing Securets and My Bad.

I did not like Love Potion much but do remember liking the stories in But I'm Your Teacher (except the last one) and I will always love Skyscapers Of Oz, one of my earlier English licensed Yaoi!

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 7:02:19 PM PST
yousei says:
DL - thanks for the description of Intriguing Secrets. That's one of the one I was planning on ordering and it sounds like I will like it.

Lore: re ages of teachers in Japan. As far as I know, if it's in the regular school system (i.e. not a cram school or something), I believe you have to have a university degree and pass a very stringent teacher's exam, so there should be no high school teachers under 22, at the youngest.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 7:52:06 PM PST
lore says:
Ah, dangit!! 7-year difference! Aieee!

love, lore
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Manga forum (162 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Manga forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions