Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Martial Arts forum

What is the best training method to prepare for a fight/competition ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2009 11:21:04 AM PDT
Whether an encounter be for self defense or for an actual sportive competition, what's the best way to prepare?

Would you focus on strategy, conditioning, techniques, what?

What would you do to get ready and be prepared?

Imagine that you're about to face Lyoto Machida or Vladimir Klitchsko, how would you prepare to face and defeat each?

Imagine that you were caught off guard at a movie theater and outnumbered 3-1, how would you train to prepare for that eventuality?

Feel free to develop your own foes/opponents and scenarios, and then present a method of preparation.

Osu, Cee.

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 7:12:16 PM PDT
L. A. Kane says:
I think you need to choose one or the other Cee. You really can't train for sports and SD in the same way. For example, competitions are highly aerobic. They have rounds, rules, weight classes, etc. and are generally 1:1. Real fights are anaerobic, lasting only a few seconds. They have no rules and may involve multiple assailants. The adversary is often bigger and stronger than his/her intended victim. Weapons may be involved. In my opinion it's extraordinarily difficult to be good at both sports and SD. The mindset is different too. For example, the goal of a competition is to win. In SD it's not to lose. You can talk your way out of a bad situation without resorting to violence, run away, or "cheat" to survive.

What you train for in the dojo is what you'll do on the street, particularly under stress/adrenaline rush. A good example is when a friend of mine was attacked in the stands at a football game. He instinctively blocked the other guy's punch and reposted with a lightning fast backfist that gently touched his assailant's nose, scaring the tar out of him but causing no damage at all. Thankfully the guy realized he was facing a skilled opponent and backed down, but if he'd continued to attack my friend would have been in trouble. He was so used to sparring with his students, mostly kids and teenagers, that he pulled the blow. If the bad guy had a knife or gun it could have been a fatal mistake.

The bottom line is that the situations you must train to face and mindset you need to use are completely different between sporting competitions and SD. I really don't think most people can be good at, or train for, both simultaneously.

Lawrence

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 7:12:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 22, 2009 7:13:07 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 10:46:43 AM PDT
Nobody says:
I couldn't have said it better myself, Lawrence...Though I think Mr. Everett WAS giving us a "one-or-the-other" choice....My feelings on this question is well known, by now, so I'll just say: "The fight in the dog" is the most important factor (imo).

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 2:17:05 PM PDT
I should have made the question a little clearer Lawrence, Lowell caught my drift.

I'm asking the question for both areas of training.

The SD crowd can paint a SD scenario and the Sportive crowd can paint the MMA event scenario.

My appologies for not being more cogent.

Osu.

Cee.

Posted on Sep 27, 2009 8:55:16 PM PDT
I think anyone answering in detail here how they'd handle three people in a dark room is,

A. Exposing their falsely-held beliefs that their plan will last longer than the minute before the action takes place.
B. Exposing themselves to a lawsuit, should such a thing ever transpire in their general vicinity.

Posted on Sep 28, 2009 1:21:45 PM PDT
Nobody says:
Jason,

Nice....very astute....Clausewitz said it as well....

However, Mr. Everett's question is valid. Many people train like robots: "One/two step sparring" and thousands upon thousands of variations thereof.

The "what if" method of creating new training methods can be very valuable.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Martial Arts forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Sep 22, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 28, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions