Customer Discussions > Medicine forum

America's Best Hospital turns in to a patient's worst nightmare ...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-63 of 63 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 7, 2012 9:40:34 PM PST
Surgeon says:
To consider doctors as Gods, incapable of making a mistake, is a fallacy. Medical professionals, like any other, are human beings liable to err. That does not justify calling all of them greedy, incompetent, having no conscience. True, there are some misfits in the profession, as they are in any other, but they are few and far between. In my practice of surgery for four decades, I have agonized over any complication, however trivial, that my operated cases have developed and have done my best to mitigate it. I have reminisced about it in my book Reminiscences of a Surgeon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 10:34:50 PM PST
Surgeon said:

"True, there are some misfits in the profession, as they are in any other, but they are few and far between."

Few & far between? I'd say that depends on your perspective. On the one hand, there are approximately 700,000 MDs in this country who treat patients. Of those, almost exactly 2,400 each year are found culpable of Felony-level misbehavior. If one cares to play with statistics, it's fair to say that 2,400 is a tiny fraction of 700,000.

But grounding one's opinion on "statistics" alone is - in my opinion - the product of juvenile thinking. When it comes to societal damage, a single errant doctor can wreak an enormous amount of havoc in a stunningly brief period of time - far, far more than a bad judge or a bad scientist. Not all professions mete out their damages equally. One need only take a peak at the 2 heart surgeons at Redding California Hospital, who performed in excess of 750 unnecessary cardiac procedures. The cost to Tenet Healthcare? $520,000,000.

Rationalizing that lab coat lunatics are a small minority is ridiculous.

Last year alone more than 300 MDs were found guilty of a jaw-dropping amount of fraud. An equal number were convicted of dealing drugs faster than street corner thugs. We have - as nearly as I can tell, 509 MDs in prison for Murder.

According to the FBI, 3 of the worst child predators in history are doctors. Two of the last 4 mass murderers are doctors. The Anthrax Terrorist?

So my take is this: As long as otherwise decent, ethical physicians turn a blind eye to the miscreants in their midst - health care will remain a mess; non-physicians will continue to meddle in matters they know little about; and insurance rates will continue their insane rise.

Medicine's injuries are self-inflicted wounds, and we all pay the price.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 3:33:21 AM PST
Dan Walter says:
I am not talking about honest mistakes or a few misfits. I am talking about a system of corporate-driven medicine in which doctors deliberately lie to patients in order to test new products and procedures. I am warning people that teaching hospitals like Johns Hopkins are dangerous palces to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 10:01:56 PM PST
I second the ire behind what Dan said.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 8:21:00 AM PDT
Hot hands says:
50% of all doctors graduated in the lowest 50% of their class...just be careful, ask questions and choose wisely. There are good guys out there too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 9:50:41 AM PDT
Yeah, there are indeed good guys (and gals) in lab coats.

And I've often suspected that many of the better ones, are those who were not inherently gifted, but had to work harder than others, just to get through school.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 5:49:10 PM PDT
ATrunner says:
FOLLOW THE $$$$

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 1:19:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2012 1:35:44 AM PDT
Suze says:
My stupid ob/gyn misdiagnosed a bloodclot in my leg during my first trimestor of pregnancy, he said the pain in my leg was due to sciatica. I was young and did not know any better. Also, my own family didn't listen to me, finally I got a new doctor and he sent me for a duplex ultrasound. The blood clot was diagnosed a month later, but I could have died. I should have never listened to that first doctor. I kept telling people I thought I had a blood clot based on what I had read in the book, "What To Expect When You're Expecting", everyone blew me off.

I was immediately hospitalized and put on IV Heparin after the diagnosis. I never even attempted to sue the first b@stard.

I believe only by the grace of God I survived that experience.

I have met quite a few stupid doctors in my life....

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 1:26:53 AM PDT
Suze says:
Once my husband stepped on a nail at work, he went to the ER and they gave him oral antibiotics. They didn't work, we went to another ER near our home. The triage nurse started yelling at me when I said he needed to be admitted for IV antibiotics (this was way back in the eighties). She told me, "you're not a doctor..." I started yelling right back at her that she wasn't one either..... they admitted him a few hours later finally. It turned out he had osteomyelitis and he could have lost his foot. He was on antibiotics for over 6 weeks, first in the hospital, then they continued at home the IV therapy.

It pays to yell at them at times....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 7:24:24 AM PDT
Susie said:

"It pays to yell at them at times.... "

Yes, Susie, it certainly does.

Which is EXACTLY what I do with my books.

Glad you weren't intimidated by lab coat lunacy.

Best of luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 7:32:03 AM PDT
Dan Walter says:
You got that right. The system is corrupt to the core and doctors at research hospitals like Johns Hopkins are in bed with drug and device manufacturers -- to the detriment of patients.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 10:40:01 PM PDT
Suze says:
I was only in my twenties at the time, I had no idea if I was being out of line or what (there was no internet to look stuff up on). But it was obvious that he was in trouble (his foot was turning red). So I took action, and it turned out to be the right move.....

He had insurance and the whole thing was covered by worker's comp. so I don't even know what their problem was in admitting him. I bet a lot of people in the ER had no medical insurance whatsoever.

I just think the triage nurse was an idi*t.

Posted on May 1, 2012 12:11:48 AM PDT
"I bet a lot of people in the ER had no medical insurance whatsoever."

Which is precisely why 83 hospitals & ERs in California have closed their doors over the past 2 decades.

Unfortunately, too many people are crossing the borders; making babies for others to teach & feed; and swamping the medical system.

There's a very good reason lifeboats have a warning sign called "Maximum Occupancy."

Some are just too blind to see the obvious.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Medicine forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Feb 23, 2011
Latest post:  May 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions