Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

There is candy inside here!<----

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2011 4:20:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2011 7:18:48 AM PDT
There is, it's digital candy. (evil laughter as the author twirls her wand.) No book descriptions. Readers choose by reading the description of your candy. (Writing Style) You have to write the description in the manner of one of your books genre.

Yeah, this is probably more for fun than readers. Only waste your time if you think it'd be fun. Warning: Digital sweets may make you crave the real thing. If readers would like to play the game too, they are more than welcome.

RULES:
1. 1000 words or less-(NOT a sample from your own book. Off the top of your head. We're writers, so improvise.)
2. Must contain some kind of dessert or candy you can eat.
3. Make it in your genre style. (For example, if you write horror then your candy should scare us.)
After the sample, put your genre (no more than two), your word count, and link one of your books.

For example, here is mine:

Resist, Maria thought as she watched the candy bar in front of her crack open. She was customer one million and receiving a candy bar for her prize. She would rather have money, but as the cashier opened the candy and broke the inside, she had felt her mouth water. She looked at the delicious coated syrup over the bar and licked her lips as she watched it cascade onto the caramel. What was wrong with her, this piece of candy was less than a dollar, yet she found herself yearning to taste the gooeyness. She bit her bottom lip, trying to quench her need for it.

"It's free," The cashier reminded her. "It's all yours."

"I really..." She looked at her desire once again, being held against its will in the cashier's hand. Just last week she really wanted one of those, but her friends were around and she knew it was wrong. It was her winnings though, she could be a bad girl just once. Events beyond her control made her bend over and take a bite.

Unfortunately, when her mouth reached her desire, the goodness was lost and cotton was felt in her mouth. Opening her eyes, she grunted as she spit her pillow out.

Dangit, tomorrow she would have to find some reason to go to the grocery store tomorrow. She couldn't go only for a candy bar. No, that would be bad of her...

Romantic Comedy
Approximately 97,000 words
Bitter Sweet-Take a bite?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 4:47:10 PM PDT
mountainmama says:
Hilarious!!

Posted on May 23, 2011 5:11:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2011 5:41:34 AM PDT
Okay, off the top of my head. I have no idea who David is. lol.

The scent hit him first. Sweet and rich, it triggered memories of cold December afternoons when he was a child and he'd come in from sledding to the irresistible aroma of hot chocolate and marshmallows. His mother would ruffle his hair and comment on his cheeks pink from the wind.

David crossed the street, averting his eyes from the stares of the well-dressed commuters. He tugged the ill-fitting jacket closed, trying in vain to cover the dirty oxford beneath. Once crisp and white, too many nights spent in a back alley picking through garbage for a scrap of stale bread or over-ripe fruit had taken a toll on his shirt. He knew he should head in the other direction, down into the subway, but for just a few moments, he wanted to fill his nose with the smell of chocolate instead of the stench of urine.

The morning sun reflected off the picture window, but the candy-colored lettering on the glass stood out, beckoning him closer. A woman exited the shop, allowing a mixture of chocolate, spun sugar and faint fruity scents to escape from the confines of the building. David stopped beside the window and closed his eyes, nostrils flaring. His mouth watered as he touched the window with the edge of his hand and peered inside.

Heaven. This is what heaven would look like. He was sure of it. A counter ran the length of the quaint store. Panes of glass separated the rows of chocolates in little brown paper cups from the sections filled with rainbow-hued piles of soft, chewy candies.

Nose pressed to the glass, he imagined what he would buy if he had the money. Chocolate drenched almonds? Luscious dipped strawberries? Tangy citrus chews? David licked his lips. Maybe some of each? He smiled.

The door burst open, startling him from his fantasies.

"You! Get away from the window! Look at what you did!" The stout shopkeeper scowled at David and pointed to the grimy fingerprints he'd left on the glass.

David pulled the cuff of his shirt over the heel of his hand and tried to erase the marks, but the man shooed him away like he was a pesky fly. With a last lingering glance and inhaling through his nose as though if he took a big enough breath he'd be able to hold off the inevitable stink of the subway. Exhaling, shoulders hunched, David shuffled towards the steps, descending into the reeking bowels of the city.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 5:16:33 PM PDT
LOL! I could almost feel the dry cotton in my mouth at the end when I read this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 5:57:54 PM PDT
mountainmama says:
Genius, MP!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 6:14:09 PM PDT
Thanks, mountainmama! Hey, your user name reminds me of John Denver's song. I love that song. :-)

Mary
No Good Deed: Book One (The Mark Taylor Series)

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 6:20:37 PM PDT
mountainmama says:
MP, just checked out your book site. What a great idea for a book! Sounds very good, and after your "candy" sampler I've added you to my TBR list!!

Yep, got the name because I live in West (by God) Virginia!

Posted on May 23, 2011 6:23:40 PM PDT
That sample has that old fashioned candy fill. I can't help but imagine it's Christmas and an orphan child just wants a tiny piece of candy from a shoppe.

Very well written candy!

Posted on May 23, 2011 6:25:39 PM PDT
Every story I can think up right now ends up looking like erotica. Maybe my mind is in the gutter at the moment. Somehow, I will think of something acceptable to post here. Looks like too much fun not to. The stories posted above are great, good job M.P. And Melanie.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 6:33:10 PM PDT
Awesome. :-) Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 6:33:59 PM PDT
Hee! I'd read that. I know it can't be posted here, but if you have a blog, you could post the url. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 6:53:44 PM PDT
I have a blog but it's geared a bit away from that topic, lol. It's just that I can't get the scene out of my head which involves a man with a Lindor Truffle between his teeth out of my head. Keep picturing the woman leaning forward to take it from him. The full version is rather steamy :)

Posted on May 23, 2011 9:50:20 PM PDT
Okay, since I have been wanting to do this for awhile anyway, I created a new blog that can be used in conjunction with my Amazon activities. Anyway, I wrote out the story as requested so anyone who isn't adverse to a steamy candy story is welcome to read it. This is the link:

http://mistressofthedarkpath.wordpress.com/

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 2:13:53 AM PDT
mountainmama says:
Read your blog, Mistress - I have got to start staying up and playing with the big kids!!! What an imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 2:19:33 AM PDT
I'm glad you read it! I was hoping it would be entertaining without being too over the edge. Probably still too erotic for this board though, lol.

Posted on May 24, 2011 2:22:08 AM PDT
mountainmama says:
Mistress, you've definitely got a future in romance novels!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 2:28:58 AM PDT

Posted on May 24, 2011 4:12:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2011 2:51:55 AM PDT
Philip Chen says:
Kenneth Jameson was in a hurry. In his hurry last night he forgot to set his alarm, so there wasn't time to do much more than shower and get downtown for that meeting on the Roritan Generator financing. Those idiots at the firm can't ever get these things straight, he thought as he rushed through his morning routine. Can't eat now, but I can grab an energy bar at the newsstand in front of the office.

Kenneth threw on his jacket, grabbed his very expensive Moroccan leather briefcase, luckily he had stuffed all the papers in before finally turning out the lights early this morning when he finally put the finishing comments on that poorly written brief. I'm going to have to talk with Jones' boss about his lack of attention, he muttered to no one in particular.

Closing and locking the door to his penthouse apartment on Central Park West, Jameson walked briskly to the elevator. The shining bronze doors of the elevator opened onto the white marbled lobby of his apartment house. Alfred, the door man, held open the massive brass doors for Jameson as he hurried through.

"Have a nice day," said Alfred; a comment left unanswered as the partner in Crumbly & Seversin bolted through the door to the waiting black Lincoln Town Car.

As the Lincoln Towncar weaved its way downtown, Jameson went through his papers one more time, marking further comments in bright red ink, so much so that the document soon looked as though it had been riddled with buckshot and was uncontrollably bleeding its life away.

The Lincoln quietly slipped up to the curb of the skyscraper that served as the world headquarters of Crumbly & Seversin, a global investment firm. Jameson had clawed his way up the organization and was now a senior managing director.

He walked briskly toward the front doors of the building, but hesitated remembering that he needed his energy bar. He walked over to the newsstand on the curb and asked for a Power2go bar. "Are you new?" he asked the operator of the stand, "Where's the regular guy?"

The operator said, "Tomas had to go visit his sick grandmother, so I am sitting in for him." The newsstand operator handed Jameson the energy bar wrapped in its shiny silver foil.

"Tomas? Was that his name?" replied Jameson absentmindedly. He took the energy bar and walked toward the building. Without thinking, Jameson unwrapped the small chocolate covered energy bar and put it to his mouth.

As he bit into the high calorie, artificially sweeten energy bar, it exploded. Jameson's head was violently transformed into a Roman fountain of blood and gray brain matter; his lifeless body slumped to the pristine sidewalk of Crumbly & Seversin.

The newsstand operator quietly slipped into the crowd walking slowly westward on Wall Street as people ran eastward to the scene of the violence. Sirens screamed as police cars and ambulances fought the morning rush hour, trying to fight through the congestion.

Thriller 98,200+ Falling Star

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 4:18:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2011 4:26:55 AM PDT
Wow, philip, I didn't see the end coming on that one! A very well written story. In a short amount of time you nearly had me convinced the guy deserved it. Thanks for sharing with us!

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 4:26:39 AM PDT
MelindaC says:
*this might double post - Amazon is being weird this morning*

I agree with Mistress that the stories are amazing, and also that everything I can think of for mine ends up sounding like erotica! I'm going to have to think on this one for awhile - I'll be back!

Melinda Clayton
Appalachian Justice (Cedar Hollow Series)

Posted on May 24, 2011 4:28:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2011 4:28:33 AM PDT
Philip Chen says:
Thanks Mistress, Hope you will check out my novel. :)

Still only 99 cents.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 4:29:45 AM PDT
Just post it on your site like I did. If it doesn't fit there you are welcome to put it up on mine (with your name of course).

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 4:33:41 AM PDT
Philip, after reading this sample of your writing, I am definitely curious to see how good a book from you is. My TBR list has been growing but I will add you. I also know someone that may be interested in the storyline so I will recommend it to them as well.

Posted on May 24, 2011 4:41:10 AM PDT
Philip Chen says:
Mistress, I would be honored if you posted my sample on your site. Just visited it and it looks just right -- nice and dark like from whence you come. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 4:44:43 AM PDT
Goran Zidar says:
There comes a time in everyone's life when they have to make a choice. What that choice actually is varies from one person to the next but the significance is always the same. For me that time came today, and it was a choice between life and death.

I chose life!

No shock there I hear you say, but such choices are rarely simple. I am sure that there are people out there that might look back on this and see it as a choice between right and wrong, or good and evil and feel that I chose poorly. But I put it to them... What would they do if put in the same situation? I doubt there are many that would choose differently; I doubt that you my good reader would choose different.

What you are about to read is the story of how I got to that moment, to that time and place, to that choice.

It was raining the day my life changed forever.

Some people hate the rain but not me; I like it, I like the way it makes the world sparkle as though everything is covered in diamonds. I like the way it drowns out the noise of all but what is going on around you creating a sense of intimacy in everything that you do.

In any case, the universe didn't care about my likes and dislikes nor did it care that I wasn't ready for what was about to happen. The universe just is and events unfolded without any thought as to how I might feel about them.

It was early afternoon on a Saturday and it was raining. I was at home, listening to music, eating chocolate and enjoying a glass of wine when it happened.

Like many life changing events it didn't start out as anything big but I don't want to diminish the impact. Let me be clear, that this was but the first in a series of events that would ultimately lead me to a place I would never have imagined I would be.

It started with a phone call.

It wasn't bad news but it meant I had to leave my house, I had to go outside.

Into the rain.

So I donned my raincoat and grabbed my umbrella, a hideous thing I picked up in a flea market a few years ago. I don't even know why I still have it or even why i bought it, but something in the Orange and blue paisley design just seems to reach out and demand my attention. Despite its ugliness I am glad I had it because without it I wouldn't be here to tell this story.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1738 5 days ago
Indie Authors with 10 or more 5 Star Reviews 16 2 minutes ago
YA/Middle Grade Kindle books under $5.00 51 4 minutes ago
4 and 5 star books on Kindle 2560 14 minutes ago
Promote your book to me. 869 20 minutes ago
Under $3.00 Kindle downloads 7295 24 minutes ago
Genre: Children's Books - Readers searching for such books, please visit here. Authors of such books, please post yours here. 550 26 minutes ago
The SS Wordsmyth- on Planet X! 9687 48 minutes ago
Welcome Reader's To Our Writer's Corner #16 9078 53 minutes ago
Amazon's Stalkers, bullies and trolls must go!!! 2521 1 hour ago
The Spinnng Wheel - the 14th (Harmonious) Generation 7035 1 hour ago
Genre: Historical Fiction - Readers searching for such books, please visit here. Authors of such books, please post yours here. 509 2 hours ago
ARRAY(0x9f7b33a8)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  May 23, 2011
Latest post:  May 26, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions