Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

Meet the Author: Geoffrey Ivar (Classical Japanese Translations)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2012 8:50:59 AM PDT
Meet the Author: Geoffrey Ivar (Classical Japanese Translations)

Hello, everybody. I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread here to get my name out, and to interact with my readers.

My name is Geoffrey Ivar, I studied Japanese and English Literature at the University of Virginia and then moved to Japan on the JET Programme (Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme) to teach English, improve my Japanese, and gain a greater appreciation for Japanese literature. Although I am currently living in America, I am planning to move back to Japan soon. I will most likely keep up this pattern of travelling back and forth between America and Japan into the near future - I really cannot live too long in one without getting wanderlust for the other!

I am in the admittedly niche market of translating classical Japanese short stories into contemporary English. In my years of studying Japanese, I have always been amazed at the subtle differences between Japanese and English literature, and I have taken it upon myself to translate lesser known, hard to acquire, and never before translated works of revered Japanese writers. Through translation, my hope is that these stories will reach an audience who would otherwise be unable to enjoy them.

I have published a couple of books on the Kindle store, but my most popular work has been the collection of all of my published works so far: A Collection of Japanese Short Stories: Volume 1.

Currently, I am working on Volume 2 and eschewing smaller published releases for the time being.

If you would like to follow me on social sites, find me on twitter @geoffreyivar, join my fan page on Facebook, or follow my blog at

I welcome any criticism, comments and/or praise (although I am certainly hoping for more of the latter two rather than the first). Also, if there are any requests for certain classical Japanese authors, or for particular genres, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thank you!

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 7:25:37 AM PDT

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 8:23:17 PM PDT
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  1
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Apr 8, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions