Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

Meet the Author: Tony Black

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 14, 2012 6:41:22 AM PDT
Pulp Pusher says:
Hi folks

Today's the first day I have reasonably-priced eBooks available on Amazon, so here's my story so far:

Tony Black is Irvine Welsh's favourite British crime writer. The author of six critically acclaimed crime novels, his works include the Gus Dury PI series: PAYING FOR IT, GUTTED, LOSS and LONG TIME DEAD, the final instalment of which will be filmed for the screen by Richard Jobson in 2012. His police inspector series, featuring DI Rob Brennan, includes the titles TRUTH LIES BLEEDING and MURDER MILE, both published by Random House UK. A heist novella, R.I.P ROBBIE SILVA will be available from Blasted Heath in July 2012.

Before turning to the novel, Black was an award-winning national newspaper journalist covering subjects as diverse as crime and nightclub reviews. He still writes for the press from time to time but most of his non-fiction now turns up on his blog (http://blogspot.pulppusher.co.uk) and his website (www.tonyblack.net).

And some nice folks, saying nice things:

Praise for Tony Black

"Black's dialogue and atmosphere crackle with authenticity."
-The Times

"If you're a fan of Rankin, Mina or Welsh this is most certainly one for you."
-The Scotsman

"Tony Black's first novel hits the ground running, combining a sympathetic ear for the surreal dialogue of the dispossessed with a portrait of a city painted in the blackest humour."
-The Guardian

"The enigmatic Dury continues to be the punk rocker of the Scottish crime scene - anarchic, rebellious and never afraid to shove his Doc Martens where they're not wanted."
-Daily Record

"Tony Black is my favourite British crime writer and Gus Dury the genre's most interesting protagonist. Like his previous books, LOSS has the power, style and street swagger that makes most of his contemporaries a little bland by comparison."
-Irvine Welsh

"Tony Black has written two of the finest crime novels to come out of the UK in the past twenty years and I'm willing to bet that in twenty years PAYING FOR IT and GUTTED will be on the top ten list of any crime list."
-Ken Bruen

My latest work THE STORM WITHOUT is out now in eBook for £1.99

The Storm Without

And here's the blurb:

Still recovering from the harrowing case that ended his police career, Doug Michie returns to his boyhood home of Ayr on Scotland's wind-scarred west coast. He hopes to rebuild his shattered life, get over the recent failure of his marriage and shed his demons, but the years have changed the birthplace of the poet Robert Burns.

When Doug meets an old school-days flame, Lyn, he feels his past may offer the salvation of a future. But Lyn's son has been accused of murder and she begs Doug to find the truth.

Soon Doug is tangled in a complicated crimeweb of corrupt politicians, frightened journalists and a police force in cahoots with criminals. As he uncovers illicit smuggling activities at the town's port and falls firmly on the wrong side of eastern European ganglords, the problems he left behind in Ulster are now the least of his worries. Only Burns' philosophical musings offer Doug some shelter as he wanders the streets of Auld Ayr battling The Storm Without.

Hopesome of you will give The Storm Without a try.

Tony.
Your reply to Pulp Pusher's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 9:09:32 AM PDT
Carma Chan says:
Welcome, Tony! Best of luck!!

~Carma
Yes, it is my real name.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 9:18:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 9:19:34 AM PDT
Welcome Tony from one former journalist to another. I'm a retired Canadian journalist now writing thrillers, with two out so far. I'll check out your books, they sound like my kind of reading! Best of luck.

James
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jun 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions