Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

Western Romance Authors Please Post Here

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4226-4250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 15, 2012 2:23:07 PM PDT
KindleAddict says:
Welcome back, Cheri! Alison and Alan, I'm waiting to hear both stories. :)

Maggie, thanks! I picked up some free books that look really good.

Jacquie

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 2:29:28 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 5:53:59 PM PDT
Lyn Horner says:
Hi everyone. I just returned from San Antonio, had fun, took some photos and bought a few history books. What else, right? Glad to be home now, just need to catch up with email, laundry and everyday life.

Um, I don't want to sound disagreeable, but Adam N. Hornyak, please stop spamming this thread. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 7:05:51 PM PDT
KindleAddict says:
Yes, enough of the spam.

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 8:01:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2012 8:06:01 PM PDT
The funny scary hitchhiking story...

When I was 22 I decided to hitchhike out west. I took the bus from Toronto to Sudbury and after a night at the Y, started my adventure. At the end of my first day on the road, I got dropped off in the middle of nowhere.

Having spent 3 months in the army (another story) I was prepared to rough it with my camping stove and two tarps (one the make a lean-to, one to use as a ground sheet. I made tea and ate some trail mix before bed. Then I was kept awake all night by motor cycles zooming around the field. (I was sure a biker gang was out there but I was too scared to look.) Then, when it finally got quiet, I was too cold to sleep. April in northern Ontario is a far cry from April in my hometown of Toronto.

The next day I got up and got a good look at my surroundings. I wasn't in the middle of nowhere. I was in the middle of North Bay's suburbs on a vacant lot.

But that's not the scary part. That's just to show how clueless I was at the time.

One of my acquisitions, before heading out, was a good lock-blade knife. A friend of mine was able to open it so fast and smooth, you'd think it was a switchblade. I aspired to be that cool, so I practiced at every opportunity.

After my sojourn in suburbia, I decided that I'd leave camping until later in the year. The Y and I were going to become friends. However, heading into Regina the nice man who had given me a lift and was trying to save my soul, told me that the Y in town wasn't very safe. He'd take me home to his Sarah. Naively, I thought that evangelical Christians were safe (if somewhat annoying) and Sarah was his wife. I also thought, since cleanliness is next to godliness, my fingernails needed work.

I pulled out my lock-blade and for the first and last time, I managed to get it open with smoothness (if not the speed) of a switchblade. My new friend was a bit nervous until I started cleaning my nails. I apologized and told him about my friend back home.

As you can probably guess by now, this was not a safe guy. Sarah was his cat. After supper, he showed my his bedroom. I played dumb and said I couldn't possibly take his bed and I'd be perfectly comfortable on the couch. He must have thought I was daft as a brush, because I studiously misunderstood all of his sexual overtures.

I spread out my sleeping bag, took off my boots, and liberated my lock-blade from my pack. He left the room and the knife never left my hand all night.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 8:04:51 PM PDT
I clicked the "ignore this customer" for Hornyak.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 8:57:46 PM PDT
KindleAddict says:
Alison, what a story! I love misspent youth stories. Isn't it amazing that in our naivete we didn't get ourselves into even more trouble? But it all gave us fodder for our books. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 4:49:06 AM PDT
Maggie O' says:
Wow Alison, that is quite the scary story!

Welcome back Cheri & Lyn, hope y'all had a great time!

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 5:20:19 AM PDT
Maggie O' says:
It's Monday :(

Free today:
Desert Inferno by our very own Rain Trueax
Desert Inferno: A tougher than nails Arizona border patrolman, Jake, meets a beautiful painter, Rachel, and soon finds himself the prey of one who wants to love him and another who wants to kill him-preferably slowly. Love, which he's avoided, is all that can save him.

The last thing Border Patrolman Jake Donovan wanted to find at the end of a long day in a remote stakeout was a beautiful woman who had reported a dead body. For a lot of what he considered very good reasons, Jake avoided emotional entanglements of any sort especially with a woman like Rachel O' Brian, spoiled probably and rich without a doubt.

As soon as she saw this rugged man, Rachel was equally determined that what he wanted was not what he needed. A successful landscape painter, who lived on a remote ranch with her father, she had finally found the man she wanted. So the chase was on as this time, Jake found he was the prey-- not only of the beautiful Rachel but of an old enemy from his past.

This is a story of love of the Southern Arizona desert, its dangers and beauties. It's about smugglers of Mexican antiquities, with a villain who has a taste for the macabre. It is most of all about passion and a man who doesn't yet know that love will be his salvation both physically and emotionally.

Cold Water Canyon A Will Cannon novel by Larry Hill by Larry Hill
Will Cannon leaves his Mora River Ranch and travels to the gold camp of Cold Wqter, Colorado. Will hopes that some of the criminals that are robbing and killing thr gold miners in Cold Water Canyon are members of the Blackman Gang. Blackman and his gang killed Will Cannon's family and Will Cannon will not be at peace until every member of the Blackman gang is dead.

Happy Reading!
~Mags~

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 5:35:28 AM PDT
otterific says:
Happy Monday! (sorry, Maggie. Monday's are my Sundays :-) )
Welcome back to Cheri and Lyn.
I must not be getting all the email notifications from this group, cause I keep missing posts. My email went wonky on me after I got back from Yellowstone, so I've had to rely on email off the internet until I figure out how to get it back to the way I'm used to. I'm severely techno challenged.
Anyways, hope everyone is having (going to have) a great week. Tomorrow is my 19th wedding anniversary. Hubby's taking me to dinner tonight since I work tomorrow night.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:42:50 AM PDT
Happy Anniversary Peggy!

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 6:24:17 AM PDT
Lyn Horner says:
Alison, that's quite a story. I'm glad you had that knife!

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 6:27:03 AM PDT
Lyn Horner says:
Thanks, Maggie and Peggy. I'm glad to be back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 10:59:28 AM PDT
I still have that knife.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 11:11:20 AM PDT
Devon says:
Good grief, Alison! You are soooo lucky. That guy could have been a serial killer. The things we do when we're young and immortal. I scold now but I've done some really stupid and dangerous things, too, when I was young. I would croak at the thought of my child attempting any of them. Hang onto that knife. ;)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 11:17:09 AM PDT
Devon says:
I feel like I've been gone a while. Been working around the house, which gave me a setback with my health problem. Vicious cycle. My health was the reason it got so out of hand to start with. And so it goes. Then for the past couple of days, my internet has been mostly out. We've been getting weather here. Rain! Yay! It didn't rain here where we live during the entire month of June. Anyway, I'm playing catch up. Hope everyone is doing well. :)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 12:12:14 PM PDT
Welcome back, Lyn, sure know what you mean about the chores awaiting our return from vacation!
Been wondering where you were, Devon. Thought you must really be writing up a storm! Sorry to hear you had a setback healthwise. Hope you can catch up and like I'm trying to do, get back to our wip's.
And wishing you, Peggy, a very happy 19th anniversary!

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 12:56:01 PM PDT
Lyn Horner says:
Thanks, Cheri. Same to you, girlfriend!

Devon, you need to let the house go and take care of yourself. Please!

Peggy, sorry I didn't wish you happy anniversary this morning. Happy, happy day to you and your hubby!

Alison, I've had a couple scary encounters too. Could have used that knife of yours at least once that I can think of.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 1:25:24 PM PDT
otterific says:
Thanks, Lyn :)
Alison, scary stuff! I must lead a really sheltered life. Must be why I live dangerously through my characters. Can't ever recall even a remotely scary situation like that!

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 2:07:14 PM PDT
mesadallas says:
I've done one or two stupid things in my youth as well. When I was 16 I spent a week at a church sponsored girl's camp in the mountains of Washington state. One day we were taken on a hike and my friend and I discovered that our camp was about two miles inland from the freeway. My friend and I got this bright idea that it would be a lot of fun to come back the next day by ourselves dressed in our bathing suits and wave to truckers. Needless to say my friend and I got a lot of attention- not only truckers but an army convoy that was passing by. Our adventure came to a halt when a car suddenly slammed on its brakes and a man jumped out. I recognized him immediately as one of our church bishops. My friend and I immediately took off running back through the woods and into camp. About two hours later the bishop and the camp councilors were walking around the camp grounds trying to spy the guilty young ladies. Luckily, we were able to keep a low profile and we weren't recognized enough to get caught.

I still can't believe I did that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 2:08:22 PM PDT
Lyn, it's been a handy knife for many reasons... not the least being a picnic birthday party when I forgot to bring a cake knife.

Peggy, my youth was mostly sheltered - that's one reason I could get caught in such a stupid situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 2:12:40 PM PDT
"I still can't believe I did that."

That just about sums up every dumb thing I've ever done in life and most of the brave things too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 2:28:25 PM PDT
KindleAddict says:
Happy 19th Anniversary, Peggy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 2:31:09 PM PDT
KindleAddict says:
Devon, I know what you mean. Daughter and her kids are gone for 10 days and this is the perfect time to clean the house, but...there's the chronic pain, plus all the bazillion things I'm behind on. Lawsy, I don't even know where to start. But please do take it easy. One small task a day--everything else can wait.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 3:30:50 PM PDT
Lyn Horner says:
Dashing Druid (Texas Druids) is featured today on Donna Fasano's beautiful Kindle Romance Novels site. Please stop by if you have a moment. Likes and comments needed!

http://www.kindleromancenovels.blogspot.com/
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  143
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  May 16, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions