Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

Authors Discussing The Writing Process (readers welcome)

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Jun 18, 2012 5:17:47 AM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-47 of 47 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 5:07:56 PM PDT
Hi Carole,
I left you a note in the new thread - hope it's not too late to say, I didn't mean my comment towards you, but towards the "author" who was responding to G.'s polite comment. All in all, I do think the MOA is a better place for the discussion, but I also find your input insightful and sorry you got caught in the middle. Hope to see you in the MOA.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 5:15:29 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 5:20:34 PM PDT
Thanks again Carole; hats off to you for being so civil.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 5:24:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 5:25:13 PM PDT
amaze away G. Gaso - don't let the tidal wave let your cape get all wet...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 5:26:43 PM PDT
The "garbage dump" is not my problem. To complain and not do ANYTHING about it? It's YOUR problem G. Fasco, especially since it appears like you want to complain but not do a thing about it. The fact that the MOA has become a carp-yard of spam? Again, only people invested in keeping it relevant, should complain. Have you done ANYTHING to shape up that forum? No? Well...it probably isn't your place to complain about something you apparently have no investment in. The MOA BELONGS to authors, and what they chose to with the forum? Not my problem, and I have little respect for an author who complains about the filthy nature of their home, then blames everyone else for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 5:31:55 PM PDT
Hi G - have you noticed Twinny's post/thread about Ed's new forum? If you're interested you can check her profile/email address and she'll send you the link. I just visited today - very nice!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 5:40:55 PM PDT
I am going to try and go there tomorrow at work (hopefully the network won't "block" me). Thanks Miss M.! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 5:43:24 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 7:12:20 PM PDT
I don't think you're in a very good moo-d, Faso. I've heard the grass is greener in the MOA pastures, why don't you go spread the manure there?

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:34:19 PM PDT
Dear Mahala, you misunderstood me. It is not I who spread manure, but you and your ilk, with the ferocious determination typical of the bovine species.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 7:48:42 PM PDT
No, No, dear Faso, I have paid close attention to your posts and I can say that you spread manure with the best. I was raised on a farm and I can recognize a big, steaming pile from quite a distance.

Do you like my ilk? It's quite lovely, don't you think? I feed it only top quality ilk chow, groom it daily, and make sure it gets plenty of exercize.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 12:07:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 18, 2012 12:07:55 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 12:40:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 12:41:14 AM PDT
Now that's no way to speak to someone who wears their underpants on the outside :)

Actually, seriously (am I giving away that I'm English before I start??)... there was a thread a while back which covered the whole writing process quite well on the Kindle forums, with a number of contributions from readers and writers alike. It in fact was obviously started from a readers POV totally appropriate to the forum, and originally had quite a negative slanted heading: 'Why do Indie authors always shoot themselves in the foot' or something similar.

However, the complaint was a legitimate one, aimed mainly at the number of Indie books which were poorly edited and checked, full of typos, etc. But out of that came comments from a number of authors who claimed to take more pride in their work, check thoroughly, use editors or beta readers. Some authors were in fact put in touch with cheaper beta reader options when they claimed not to have the funds to use expensive editor services. So out of it came some useful insight and tips from both sides of the spectrum.

The fact of the matter is, the more indie writers take care of their work before putting it on line, the better it is not only for readers in general but other indie writers following in their wake. In short, too many messy, poor, unedited books and the readers bail out and give up on indie books in general. So that thread ended up quite constructive and useful to all who participated in it.

The problem with this thread, which I see has been made patently clear to Carole, is that she couches the OP question wrong, giving it an author hat first and reader hat second. That simply is the wrong way round on a reader forum. However, I'm sure if she were to re-phrase it and ask readers what they would actually like to see improved about indie books in general, or what categories they'd like to see more of, she'd get a different reaction. And on the way, from that reader perspective, some useful insight into the writing process and how indeed authors might satisfy those reader requirements would come through by natural osmosis.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 3:09:12 AM PDT
The problem, my dear Scribejohn, is that Carole was hounded out of this forum even though she had broken no rule. The fact that her discussion might have been of no interest to some doesn't matter. It was going along quite nicely between the handful of people who were interested. if one sees a thread one isn't interested in, one is not obliged to participate. But the self-appointed police cattle seem to think everything should conform to their wishes, and feel free to invade and destroy any thread that doesn't.
It falls to me to be their nemesis, unless someone else wants the job.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 6:27:24 AM PDT
Oooh, look, The Big Pot Roast(Amazon) has moved this thread to the MOA.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 7:58:21 AM PDT
No, R. Mahala. I moved it myself. You, G. Faso, and John are welcome to come over there and jump in. We'd love your input if everyone will promise to play nice ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 9:09:13 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 9:35:09 AM PDT
No, this thread bears the explanation that Amazon moved it.

I have no interest in the writer's creative process.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 9:39:59 AM PDT
>>Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Jun 18, 2012 5:17:47 AM PDT.<< Climb over the big, steaming pile and take a look beneath the title. At no time did I EVER say I asked Amazon to move this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 9:44:11 AM PDT
With my past bad experiences of people not playing so nicely, these days I tend to stick to mostly playing with myself.

Oops, that didn't come out quite how I intended :)

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 10:50:05 AM PDT
Well, I started a new thread on this topic yesterday. I see the note under the title now. Maybe Amazon moved it later. I'd rather be in the other thread, anyway. There's a productive discussion going on there, and I had abandoned this one...and will abandon it again. Good day to you folks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 12:06:03 PM PDT
A. Customer says:
Come on over to Ed's book site, if people don't play nice they don't get to play at all - it's what Ammy should be but isn't. Anyone interested, email me for the link.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1952 1 day ago
Link JUST YOUR BOOK TITLES with no descriptions 3038 20 minutes ago
The Spinning Wheel - 15 men on the dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum 7275 34 minutes ago
The Wordsmyth is in the 18th Dimension (and it's so strange!) 1022 36 minutes ago
Cozy Up with Cozy Readers and Writers: a thread for those who read and/or write cozy mysteries and their friends 6496 44 minutes ago
Genre: Science Fiction- Readers searching for such books, please visit here. Authors of such books, please post yours here. 1455 1 hour ago
Talk about your book! 8105 2 hours ago
Tell The World About Your Book. 646 2 hours ago
Thriller, Suspense and Mystery Writers and Readers Group 8303 2 hours ago
Do You Have A Kindle Book? Post It Here! (2) 4958 2 hours ago
Do your totally shameless plug here 5728 2 hours ago
Shameless Self-Promotion 6279 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Jun 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions