Showing 26-50 of 106 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 2, 2012 6:01:47 PM PST
I guess this is a dead thread

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 1:30:57 AM PST
No it's alive and well

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 1:32:25 AM PST
Perhaps do the insert product link so we can take a look

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 7:35:11 AM PST
My family saga Are You Sitting Down? is free today and tomorrow in celebration of Read an Ebook Week.

Although there are a variety of characters, the story centers around Travis who is mourning the loss of his partner, Justin, who recently died of cancer.

The book does take place at Christmas, but is not really a holiday story. Jerry Wheeler from outinprint.net said this about it: "Yarbrough's best book yet-a well-crafted blend of interesting characters, a wistful small-town setting and a tense family dynamic that serves up discomfort food for Christmas."

Is anyone else out there doing free promos this week for Ebook Week?

-Shannon

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 9:18:40 AM PST
There are quite a few titles on sale in Smashwords for read an ebook week. And my friend who writes specifically for the GLBT audience tells me that his books are on sale there also. Plus, I think he is publishing another one either tomorrow or wednesday. S. L. Marks is his name. Biting Off More Than You Can Chew (Tales of Trent,the gay vampire)

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 9:25:56 AM PST
Frank Mundo says:
Nick Nolan is a good gay-themed writer. I reviewed and really enjoyed his book Black as Snow, but he has a number of titles in this genre. If you haven't read his work, check him out.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 4:02:41 PM PDT
Unspoken Love during the Vietnam War (The Poem)

Written in 1975, and hidden away for 37 years. At that time there was no avenue for anything that referred to same sex love. It was written in a loose iambic pentameter, octave rhyme, as a form of cloaking the subject matter. The poem was created after the fact, over pot and booze, and was a catharsis. I created it for an English Literature project. The Professor, Dr. W. read it, gave it a brief moment of verbal disgusted review. I never even submitted it for the grade.

It is a story poem of disaster on a Navy ship, and the display of spiritual love of one man for another.

It is not sexually erotic. It was an awakening to me of an entire "hidden" society, I didn't know existed. The political implications were swept away, and the defiance was real.

It is being told by myself. It is not my story, I still tear up thinking about it. It is what I saw.

After reading this, I realize I keep calling "it" IT. For me, it has taken on a living existence, like a tumor that won't go away. I am old now, and have moved many times in my life. It has stayed with me through the years and I want people to finally know. - ZERO

Posted on May 6, 2012 8:18:27 AM PDT
On 6th May, the m/m romance
Perception: A German Love Story
is available for free!
Marcel Ritter is an excellent pupil at a German school, has two loyal, best friends, and caring parents.
Still, his life is far from being perfect.
He is the bullying victim of Tim `Dumb' Eschner, soccer hunk and the school's official dimwit.
When the vice principal witnesses one of Tim's assaults, Marcel's problems seem to be solved at last. But his good nature and his fast tongue get him into more trouble than he would prefer.
Forced to work together, they both discover that there is more to the other one than meets the eye.
A feel-good story about change, forgiveness, and love.

Posted on May 6, 2012 1:09:58 PM PDT
Lynda Bowles says:
Catch a Succubus

Daniel has just turned seventeen but he still hasn't hit puberty. He is only five feet tall, no body hair and pudgy. He and his buddy, Jimmy, have one last game on the Ouija Board before he moves away to an odd country house owned by a new stepfather.

Daniel's mother Kelli, has married Duncan Osborne , a high school football coach who has taken an interest in his overly indulged new stepson.

Daniel despises his new "xxxx-for-brains" stepfather, mentally accusing him of abuse.

One night Daniel awakens to someone in his room and is propelled into a fast pace sexual paranormal escapade, accelerating him into puberty.

His friend Jimmy comes to spend a few days with him and they soon get caught up in the most confusing adventure either one of them could have imagined.

Some Sexual Content and Mild Violence. NC 17

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 11:28:37 AM PDT
I trust it is selling well for you

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 11:44:42 AM PDT
The Killing Moon (The Northwest Pack)

This is the first in a series of action horror novelettes. The two main characters are male and their relationship is complicated by many things including a strong sexual tension. That and the fact that one of them is a werewolf.
The series is written to be appealing to young gay male readers but accessible to all. In other words, the action may be graphic but the sex isn't. Werewolf romance is complicated enough as it is ^..^

Posted on May 10, 2012 8:20:47 PM PDT
TURNING IDOLATER (260 pages)

Young Philip Flaxen has been turned out by his father and has been taken in by a street hustler, who has taught him the ropes of survival on the tough New York City streets. Philip, however, has a touch of class, and is fascinated by Melville's Moby Dick, an old copy which he received as payment from a trick. Philip meets an older man on-line, an author, who changes his life and means. Turning Idolater is the story of the great awakening of an otherwise lost soul on a backdrop of murder and old sea-faring tales seeped in compromise. It's a journey from the seedy side through the needy side to a world of broken promises healed with hope.

see also:
Surviving an American Gulag
LOOK AWAY SILENCE and
The Road to Grafenwöhr

Here's what reviewers readers say about Turning Idolater

"Turning Idolater is a wonderful interweaving of Melville and Patterson. And just when you think that Patterson left Melville somewhere moored at a dry dock, he brings him right back, and pulls you along into his roiling sea of words." - Irma Fritz

"Patterson has become an author I look for. Whenever I see he has a new book out, I'm in line to buy it. I'm not gay, but I like people, and his characters are likeable, full of spirit, going places and when they decide to go do something. . .I won't be left behind!" - Esmerelda Luv

"The plot is so charmingly good plus the mystery will keep you on the edge of the seat, so go read!" - Sybil at Rainbow Reviews

"Through Patterson's lyrical prose and keen understanding of the human condition, he creates characters so real I felt as if I was reading a memoir. Frequent reference to literary classics and intricate and loving descriptions of priceless book restoration invite the reader into a contemporary equivalent of a Jane Austin novel." - Todd Fonseca, review at TMBOA.com

"Edward Patterson has created a cast of uniquely engaging characters, each one, on a quest to further improve and enhance their lives." - Timothy Mulder

"The who-dunnit that winds its way throughout the story is captivating, and we never know who the culprit is until the very end. There's never a dull moment in this book!" - Lila Pinord

"The writing is wonderful and the characters very real. I loved the way references to Melville's masterpiece, Moby Dick, were referenced throughout the book. Mr. Patterson has a great talent and a masterful way with words." - L. C. Evans

"Edward Patterson has a great knack of portraying emotion in the scene and characters. As a writer I feel I've been taught a lesson by reading this book. I found myself rereading passages in order to grasp his technique." Jenna Anderseon

"Patterson's prose is gorgeous; the descriptions of whales, gulls, a cat and a dog in Provincetown are particular standouts in that regard." Sharon Cathcart

"Now, I am a certified fan of Mr. Patterson and I will rush to buy his other books. I highly recommend this book to everyone. It is a good read, and one I could not put down until I read every sentence of every page from beginning to end." - Michael Phelps

Edward C. Patterson
author of Turning Idolater

Posted on May 31, 2012 1:40:56 AM PDT
Sounds like a lovely book. Literary and perhaps gritty?

Posted on May 31, 2012 6:00:21 AM PDT
Meg Harris says:
Here's my latest (written as Gem Frost):

Supplicant (an m/m erotic romance) (Dominance)

Stephen Dominick is a sophisticated, world-famous multi-millionaire. Gabriel Mason is a young, naive college student. When Dom takes Gabriel under his wing, the two men rapidly form a close friendship. But when Dom decides he wants more than mere friendship, will Gabriel be able to say no? Or will he be the one who winds up begging for more?

Length: Short novella (11,500 words).

Thanks for letting me share!

Posted on May 31, 2012 9:30:26 AM PDT
Life without a little poetry in it is like a walk in the mud. Here's 35 years worth of Patterson Poetry collected into seven chapbooks and available in one download (or volume, if you are eBook challenged)

The Closet Clandesine:a queer steps out 198 pages

Here's the opening poem:

In the dark shadows of my own making,
Like a cold, windless niche in a stone cathedral,
I walk beside a reflection of truth,
A midnight soul, seeing a self - denying a self.
And in that place, I build a fortress retreat.
Then, like some dart from a Promethean bow,
I am struck down by simplicity;
Truth until by the cathedral's deep dark ivy growth;
Like a new born fawn coming to the river,
Seeing a new reflection; true self.
And the warm wind from two brown eyes do tell;
And quickly the leaves begin to toss in the woodland groves;
All is sunlight and radiant.
How is this radiance?
It comes from a midnight soul.
It plays in the runnels, is filtered by bowers.
It lights memory and replays in variations.
It turns old hatred to love.
It sates intemperate passions;
Anguish drifts to sand.

The fortress crumbles under its thunderous weight,
And I am free of it.
The sea cleanses me naked under the starry sky
Vaulted with knowledge of the first star I see;
And like great wine, I am poured from one vessel into another,
From one of stone to one cut from the starry night.
I fly with the wind, the gentle softness of my own nature
And fall in love with myself,
A self without reflection.
I catch the glint of guilt and dry the stream of tears;
Tears forgotten now.
Forgiven now, as I come to the river of my self to drink;
A new born fawn lapping her reflection in a sunlit pool.

Edward C. Patterson
author of The Closet Clandestine

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 7:16:24 AM PDT
Meg Harris says:
My first m/m erotic romance is free today:

Supplicant (m/m erotic romance) (Dominance)

And the second title in the series is now available for $1.99:

Submission (m/m erotic romance) (Dominance)

After their last hot encounter, Gabriel is determined to have nothing more to do with Dom. But when the older man shows up at his apartment and sets the stage for a romantic night of sin, can Gabriel find the strength to resist?

Thanks for looking!

Meg Harris/Gem Frost

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 9:02:37 PM PDT
Title: Witchwoman
Lesbian historical fiction/supernatural
Author: Helen Dunn
Set in 1761

Blurb:
Victoria Nathan - victim of a brutish, drunken husband is near despair when she is told of a healing woman called Sera Kane, who operates a small shop in the French Quarter of New Orleans.
The two women begin to fall in love with each other and Victoria soon discovers Sera is a practitioner of more than merely the arts of healing.
There are those who proclaim the woman to be a witch.
Witchwoman
EXCERPT:
It was close to midnight. Temple Quinne had long since retired to her own room, lips pursed with displeasure, but the earlier, overwhelming fear created by Micheline's voice inside her head was gone and forgotten. The servants, likewise, were all asleep. Only Sera, Micheline and Jeremy were awake in the dark, quiet house.

Downstairs Sera heard Jeremy moving about, his voice rising from time to time with mumbled sentences and curses as he careened around, stumbling first against one object and then another. This was followed by the sound of his progress on the stairs.

He stopped in front of the door that led into Victoria's bedroom then cursed and kicked at the recently repaired door.

Sera rose quietly and went to the dressing room door which led into the hallway, opened it and stepped out. Turning, Jeremy saw her. He stood staring at her, frowning in an effort to figure out who this woman was.

Sera faced him with aplomb, her dark eyes disdainfully taking him in, noting the disreputable appearance of the man. He had spilled wine on various parts of his clothing, his face was covered with unshaven stubble and the front of his trousers was open exposing him to view. He reached down and fondled himself as he spoke.

"Wh - where's Vic - Victoria?"

Sera said nothing, merely coolly observing him. Her lack of answer did not seem of much concern to him for in a few moments he commented: "Doesn't matter. You'll do."

He lurched towards her unsteadily, unaware of the small wax figure she held. The long sharp fingernail on the index finger of her other hand pierced deeply into the wax crotch of the man-shaped form.
With a prolonged howl of agony, Jeremy clutched himself and tottered backward. His heels caught on the edge of the carpeting at the top of the stairs and he teetered precariously. His hands left his wounded manhood as he flailed his arms wildly in the air in a futile attempt to regain his balance and stop his fall. Then with a loud yell he tumbled backward. Just as he did, Sera put out a hand towards him and drew him back.

Panting, he fell forward onto the upstairs landing, on his hands and knees. He stared at her with disbelief. As he tried to stand up, Sera's outstretched hand held him powerless, forcing him to remain on his knees. At last he crawled off on his hands and knees down the hallway towards his own rooms.

'You wanted to destroy him.' Micheline stated.

"Yes." Sera admitted.

'What stopped you?' The cat asked curiously.

"I must first know completely of her feelings for him."

Victoria started in her sleep, moaning softly and Sera went back into the room to her. As she laid a hand gently on Victoria's shoulder, she relaxed once more, moving into a deeper, heavier, more healing sleep.

Sera moved her hand up to lay it upon Victoria's forehead. "Dream my beautiful one." She trailed her fingertips lightly across the surface of Victoria's skin. "And let your dreams be of me."

While still physically in the room and capable of interacting in that reality, Sera also seamlessly slipped inside Victoria's dream........

To read more of this book
Witchwoman

Available at amazon as an e-book for only $2.99

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 5:56:24 PM PDT
Title: Some Lesbians and Vampires, and Oh Yeah, a Worried Werewolf

humor-satire-mystery and the supernatural

Blurb: Set in the mid 1980's. This darkly humorous lesbian novel, a spoof on werewolves, vampires and highly dysfunctional family relationships, begins with two women prisoners, one scheduled for execution in the gas chamber, who escape and encounter the supernatural.

Twists and turns in the tale involve: an ancient curse, a young female werewolf who seeks a cure, and her forever young and beautiful grandmother, a vampire, who enjoys her power over women and her immortality.

There's also Diane Hersh, a young woman who has some unusual mental problems. As the daughter of murder victim, Senator Carol Sue Hersh, Diane knows more than she has ever told.

There are plenty of problems to go around - from Lydia Vernon of KWOW radio station, with family problems she solves rather abruptly, to her avid listeners such as 102 year old retired farmer, Thomas Tiggle, who has a few quirks of his own.

Excerpt:

They had gone for a walk where feelings had been confessed and kisses had been exchanged. In fact, the kisses had grown so passionate the two had ended up lying down together in the grass for more intimate explorations.

Tina was surprised at herself, she had never been so ardent so quickly with any other woman. While she had been attracted to Armonda many years ago, she had tried to put her out of her mind when Canfield had announced his daughter's death.

What was even more amazing was the fact Armonda looked exactly as she had some ten or so years previous. Tina had initially been a little concerned that she might seem old to Armonda, but if she did, Armonda certainly didn't seem to mind, Tina noted, as the gorgeous woman feasted on her - covering her in kisses and small bites, growling with desire.

At that moment, the full moon came out from behind the clouds and Tina, who had had her eyes closed during most of their lovemaking, opened them. She screamed at what she saw - an animalistic face of barbaric lust above her own!

Dark fur was sprouting across Armonda's cheeks, and her ears seemed now to be much higher on her head - with darling, little tufts of hair on the points of them. Her eyes gleamed, giving off a reddish glow and her arms and chest were becoming heavily furred. There was only a faint resemblance left between this creature and the Armonda that Tina had thought she knew!

Like her father before her, Armonda had miscalculated. In her case, she had mistaken the time of the month the full moon would occur - combined with thinking herself cured.

Armonda staggered to her feet and stared down at her hands and arms. Then, with a howl of anguish, she turned and fled, plunging through the night.

Tina continued to scream as she watched the furry wolf-like creature that had been Armonda only moments before - run into the darkness of the woods and disappear among the trees."

"Damn! Damn! And damn!" Armonda growled as she moved towards the refuge of Cranberry Hill. "If I don't find that other parchment I shall continue to be a tormented creature of the night, forever!"

But where was the fourth parchment?! She still hadn't a clue and as if that weren't enough of a problem - now Tina Tiggle knew the truth - and where might that lead!?

It didn't look like she be having a second date with Tina.

available for purchase as an e-book at amazon
Some lesbians and vampires and oh yeah, a worried werewolf

And available in print at Createspace: (the cover is different at Createspace than at amazon, and H.M. Dunn was how the author listed her name at that time, but it is the same book)
https://tsw.createspace.com/title/3515484

Readers who are interested in historical, paranormal, horror and humorous lesbian and gay fiction are invited to visit the author's blog - http://helendunnauthor.wordpress.com/ where you will see all of the book covers, blurbs and excerpts as well as URLs that will take you to where you may purchase the e-book - or if you prefer a print edition - many of the books are in print and can be obtained at createspace - and a URL is given for that as well.

Helen Dunn - is also the author of "Untamed Women of Yesteryear" published by L-Books - which received honorable mention by Golden Crown Literary Society, as well as being nominated for Favorite Lesbian Fiction Historical - by the Lesbian Fiction Readers Choice Awards group for 2011.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 7:23:02 PM PDT
The Fate of Four Hearts
(Lesbian Western Romance)

Blurb:

A lively, well-paced western novella of four gals looking for romance and ready for some changes in their lives.

There's butch Taye Rowland, wild saloon girl Halley Porter, unhappily married Katherine Braddock, and Etta Stanton who wants to kick up her heels and get out from under the thumb of her strict older sister.

Who will end up with whom and who will be the victim of a fast gun?

EXCERPT:

"I've never known a woman like you before." Etta said, twirling a lock of her pale blond hair. "You're so independent. You go where you want, do what you want." It was something Etta had never experienced herself, and she sometimes wondered if she ever would. Maybe you had to dress and act like a man to have that kind of freedom?
"That gun you wear - have you ever used it?"

"Only when I had to, Miss Etta." Taye was beginning to get antsy under Etta's questioning, plus it was late and she was tired and ready to go to bed and get some sleep.

"I bet you've had an interesting life." Etta mused. "I'd love to hear all about it."

"Thank you, Miss Etta, but as you know, it's getting pretty late..."

"Oh, yes, well, I guess you're wanting to get to bed?"

Taye looked uncomfortable. "Well, it is getting on... uh... pretty late..." Taye said partially repeating herself, as she shifted her weight from one scruff-booted foot to the other.

"Good night then." Etta said, giving her a deep smile, and turning and walking back out of the barn.

What in tarnation had that all been about? Taye wondered. She took off her hat and scratched her head, but didn't come up with any explanations.

Available as a separate e-book at amazon:
The Fate of Four Hearts

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:55:32 AM PDT
LOOK AWAY SILENCE (284 pages)

Martin and Matthew are an unlikely couple - as different as you can imagine. But when Matthew is struck down by the ravages of AIDS, Martin finds himself on an unimaginable journey of the heart. Written from the author's experiences in health services and caregiving, this one will move you in ways that you can only guess. Bring you Kleenix to the beach.

see also:
Turning Idolater and
The Road to Grafenwöhr

Here's what readers say about Look Away Silence

"The depth of the characters and their story is an important tale that transcends gender and race, highlighting a time that had and continues to have devastating effects. The title is so appropriate and fitting to the characters and the topics. Be sure to have some tissues handy as Martin's story is sure to move you to tears numerous times while also giving laughter, love, joy, and happiness beside the sorrow. This is one story that will resonate for a very long after the incredibly beautiful final page." - Rainbow Reviews

"Look Away Silence is a beautifully written, intensely emotional novel. The characters are three dimensional and wonderfully flawed. Best of all, Patterson's narrative manages to zoom in on this tragic couple's love and life, then to zoom out on an entire hurting community, and back again without resorting to soapboxing." - R.J. Keller

"This is a love story that has been experienced many times over by 'everyman'. Beautifully written by amazing author Edward C. Patterson, based on his experiences volunteering in community service and personal friendship. It is a powerful read." - ellen george, Amazon Top 1000 Reviewer

"Even with the sad story, Mr. Patterson is a funny and engaging writer and I found this book hard to put down -- always a sign of a five-star read for me. Highly recommended." - Leslie Nichol

"With this work Patterson is in league with Armistead Maupin! Itt's an emotional story told in a light hearted way, it never turns into a soap." - Mireille Reynes

"Look Away Silence by Edward C. Patterson is a beautifully written novel. Honestly, I'm not sure I can write a review that will do it justice. Few books can touch such a strong emotional chord and I would put Look Away Silence up there with books by Nicholas Sparks such as The Notebook. Well done Mr. Patterson, well done indeed." - Todd Fonseca, TMBOA.com

"To say Look Away Silence is heart-wrenching is an injustice. This story will double-fist-grab your entire body from the very beginning and may never loosen its grip. Which is apt. We must never forget." - Tracy Francis

"I have admired Patterson's novels for some time now, but honestly believe this one to be his best. Inspiring, though-provoking and, yes -- one that will make you cry." - Sharon E. Cathcart

"I did not know what to expect from this book and was blown away by the intensity and depth of emotion it provoked. Beautiful writing, a compelling story and lesson after lesson on the power and importance of compassion. Mr Patterson has made me think and taken me out of my narrow and protected world. I can ask no more from a book. We are all Bimbos on the same bus. I'm glad I've taken a ride with Mr. Patterson. " - Lynn Bough

"To say that the last half of the book rocked my emotional world is not doing it justice. I can't begin to give this author enough credit for writing so well that even once I knew this wasn't going to be a happy ending I finished it. I have to admit - I was up half the night finishing it and up the rest of the night sobbing . . ." Riya at GoodReads

Edward C. Patterson
author of Look Away Silence

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:56:00 AM PDT
NO IRISH NEED APPLY (124 pages)

Kevin Borden has a new study mate and is taking heat from the rest of the school for it, because there are rumours about this guy - this Louis Lonegan. But teens will do the darndest things, which put them in the crosshairs and presents challenges for their widowed mothers. No Irish Need Apply takes a close to the bone view of the actual emergence from the closet - the pain, but also the importance. Dedicated to PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays), this fast moving book was selected Book of the Month (June 2009) by Booz Allen Hamilton's Diversity reader group.

also see:
Cutting the Cheese
Bobby's Trace
and all three novellas together in Oh, Dainty Triolet

Here's what the readers say about No Irish Need Apply

"Mr. Patterson has created an incredible story by linking it with prejudices that happened earlier in the century. By using this analogy that many understand from their study of history, it allows the reader to see how modern day prejudice effects people in the same manner it did years ago." - Rainbow Reviews

"Mr. Patterson's ability to fully flesh out his cast is a truly rare and talented gift. I was immediately taken in by all his characters, at all times believing in and caring about their situations." - Timothy Mulder

"With this novel Mr. Patterson has reached my heart and soul. I had to fight back the tears as I read this tender, loving story about two young men fighting for and finding the love of their lives." - Mireille Reynes, Belgium

"It's as if the reader is sitting in the room, watching facial expressions and extending a hand to the character who needs it. This is more than just skilled writing, Patterson has been blessed with a gift of bringing real situations to life." - Esmerelda Luv

"Patterson offers hope to those finding themselves and their place in the world." - Todd Fonseca, TMBOA.com

"It's not often these days that you come across writing that possesses both the literary beauty of a classic poem with the depth and substance of a contemporary tale. A contemporary tale with told with the poetic beauty of the literary classics of the past." - Gregory Bernard Banks

"No Irish Need Apply is a brilliantly written novel most worthy to sit next to some of the greatest writers. It speaks from the very soul of the author to the soul of the reader." - Laurie Foston

Edward C. Patterson
author of No Irish Need Apply

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:56:27 AM PDT
TURNING IDOLATER (260 pages)

Young Philip Flaxen has been turned out by his father and has been taken in by a street hustler, who has taught him the ropes of survival on the tough New York City streets. Philip, however, has a touch of class, and is fascinated by Melville's Moby Dick, an old copy which he received as payment from a trick. Philip meets an older man on-line, an author, who changes his life and means. Turning Idolater is the story of the great awakening of an otherwise lost soul on a backdrop of murder and old sea-faring tales seeped in compromise. It's a journey from the seedy side through the needy side to a world of broken promises healed with hope.

see also:
LOOK AWAY SILENCE and
The Road to Grafenwöhr

Here's what reviewers readers say about Turning Idolater

"Turning Idolater is a wonderful interweaving of Melville and Patterson. And just when you think that Patterson left Melville somewhere moored at a dry dock, he brings him right back, and pulls you along into his roiling sea of words." - Irma Fritz

"Patterson has become an author I look for. Whenever I see he has a new book out, I'm in line to buy it. I'm not gay, but I like people, and his characters are likeable, full of spirit, going places and when they decide to go do something. . .I won't be left behind!" - Esmerelda Luv

"The plot is so charmingly good plus the mystery will keep you on the edge of the seat, so go read!" - Sybil at Rainbow Reviews

"Through Patterson's lyrical prose and keen understanding of the human condition, he creates characters so real I felt as if I was reading a memoir. Frequent reference to literary classics and intricate and loving descriptions of priceless book restoration invite the reader into a contemporary equivalent of a Jane Austin novel." - Todd Fonseca, review at TMBOA.com

"Edward Patterson has created a cast of uniquely engaging characters, each one, on a quest to further improve and enhance their lives." - Timothy Mulder

"The who-dunnit that winds its way throughout the story is captivating, and we never know who the culprit is until the very end. There's never a dull moment in this book!" - Lila Pinord

"The writing is wonderful and the characters very real. I loved the way references to Melville's masterpiece, Moby Dick, were referenced throughout the book. Mr. Patterson has a great talent and a masterful way with words." - L. C. Evans

"Edward Patterson has a great knack of portraying emotion in the scene and characters. As a writer I feel I've been taught a lesson by reading this book. I found myself rereading passages in order to grasp his technique." Jenna Anderseon

"Patterson's prose is gorgeous; the descriptions of whales, gulls, a cat and a dog in Provincetown are particular standouts in that regard." Sharon Cathcart

"Now, I am a certified fan of Mr. Patterson and I will rush to buy his other books. I highly recommend this book to everyone. It is a good read, and one I could not put down until I read every sentence of every page from beginning to end." - Michael Phelps

Edward C. Patterson
author of Turning Idolater

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:56:56 AM PDT
SURVIVING AN AMERICAN GULAG (230 pages)

Not a good fit for military sevice, Private Winslow Gibbs falls out of basic training and works in the quartermaster shack. However, the Army doesn't allow misfit draftees to fade that easily. No. Private Gibbs is shipped out to a place where those who are overweight, illiterate or otherwise considered pariahs are handled - the Special Training Unit, also called the Gulag. Here young Gibbs is challenged at every turn by an uncompromizing environment and his own self-realization. Surviving an American Gulag is the author's novelized memoir about his turn in the Army in 1967 when Army policy was merciless for a lost draftee caught in the barbed-wire.

see also:
TURNING IDOLATER
LOOK AWAY SILENCE and
The Road to Grafenwöhr

Here's what readers say about Surviving an American Gulag

"Patterson's novelized memoir read just as that, a memoir. When I opened the first page, I felt as though I was sitting next to him, and when I closed the book, I shook his hand and thanked him for sharing the memories." - Esmerelda Luv

"Patterson's telling of the story conveys the primitive conditions and harsh life experienced in basic training, from the total lack of privacy in the barracks to the grueling physical fitness training and the terror of night-time battle drills. Anyone who has ever had to spend time in one of the Army's many "splinter villages" will know from Patterson's words that he's been there himself." - Michael Hicks, author of In her Name

"Yet again Mr. Patterson has proven with this novel what a superb story teller he is. He has this amazing ability to catch the reader's attention right from the beginning." - Mireille eynes (Belgium)

"Surviving an American Gulag is nothing short of a heart and gut wrenching exploration of true human fortitude." - Timothy Mulder

"Edward Patterson's tale of military life has left me breathless. I ache to see this story up on the big screen. Some of the most endearing and inspiring characters, set against the backdrop of a rabidly homophobic bootcamp." - Thomas Riccobuono

"This is a poignant novel about how the military treated it's gay recruits and how a rag tag group struggled to overcome substantial obstacles. I found myself cheering for Gibbs in the novel's closing chapters as his confidence and abilities grew along with his self discovery." - Todd Fonseca, TMBOA.com

"All the characters in this book, bad guys and good guys, will tug at your emotions in a very good way. Thank you for sharing your life." - Bookbinder

"Surviving An American Gulag is a poignant and masterfully written story. The characters are well-drawn, the dialogue authentic, and the descriptions put me right into the scene. I would love to see this book made into a movie." - L. C. Evans

Edward C. Patterson
author of Surviving an American Gulag

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:57:15 AM PDT
BOBBY'S TRACE (120 page)

Perry Chaplin is mourning his lover, Bobby, and it's a tough time that calls for drastic measures. In an effort to shake off his depression, Perry goes on a blind date with an enignmatic gentleman. It turns out that the dead mourn the living fater all, and Bobby doesn't take kindly to the new boyfriend. Bobby's Trace will slip you between the cracks of two worlds, where the living and the dead dance as tenuous number. From cubicle to confessional, from motel to church yard, Perry Chaplin learns that the dead have feelings too.

also see:
Cutting the Cheese
NO IRISH NEED APPLY

Here's what reviewers say about Bobby's Trace

"A subtle and wry humor never detracts from the intensity of the characterizations, which rather unfold like the peeling of an onion to reveal unexpected layers and depths." - Rainbow Reviews

"The writing in Bobby's Trace was so fast-paced and charismatic that I wished there was much more." - Maureen Miller

"A thriller that M Night Shyamalan would be proud of."- Timothy Mulder

"Patterson has a way of including the reader in every thought, emotion and experience the characters have. This was a great book, a joy to read, and one I'll want to visit again." - Esmerelda Luv

"At times bizarre and terrifying yet also beautifully uplifting, Edward C Patterson has crafted a literary jewel." - R.W. Banks (Australia)

"Mr. Patterson writes with fluid elegance. You can put any person in the situation Perry's in, and Bobby too, male or female, and the premise still is a strong one. A sensitive read." - ellen george, Top 1000 Amazon Reviewer

"Patterson creates a supernatural haunting story of two lovers and religious intolerance. Readers of all genres will find something special in this novel." - Todd Fonseca, TMBOA.com

"Bobby's Trace is a very well-written ghost story about love lost whose touch reaches beyond the grave. Good job, Mr. Patterson! " - Lila Pinord

"A beautifully drawn exploration of a young man's grief at the loss of his partner and his eventual resumption of life. Quite a few unexpected thrills and chills." - Sandy Nathan

"The story was awesome. The twist ending made for a gripping finale that made you want to flip back and reread passages." - RedAdept, RedAdept Kindle Reviews

"This is the second of Mr. Patterson's works that I have purchased and read. I enjoyed it immensely and highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in love and paranormal experiences. This is a FIVE STAR novel and I am now going into NO IRISH NEED APPLY, by Edward C. Patterson. " - Michael Phelps

Edward C. Patterson
author of Bobby's Trace

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:57:29 AM PDT
CUTTING THE CHEESE (122 pages)

It's that time of the month when the local Gay Activists gather for their board meeting to discuss the important events and issues of the day. In this case, they convene in a wealthy, local hob-nob's estate, which proves to be a distraction, because the end-of-meeting party is the main event. To this assembly comes a variety of yahoos more intent on each other, the music, the gossip and in cutting the cheese. Luke Oliver, a newbie, just out of the closet, is overwhelmed by these veterans of the gay scene - the queens, the hardliners, the snobs, the pretty boys and the chicken hawks. Then into this assortment comes Luke's date, a wave maker of a different sort. A laugh riot testiment to hypocrisy and poor party planning, Cutting the Cheese is a romp down the funny bone that will have you chuckling long after you close the last page. Boyz in the Band move over. (double-snap).

also see:
BOBBY'S TRACE
NO IRISH NEED APPLY

Here's what readers say about Cutting the Cheese

"Patterson, as omniscient narrator, understands that our lives and our relationships are full of agendas, often hidden, somtimes greedy, and he refuses to favor one character over another, even the newbie. A fun book (each chapter is named with a different kind of cheese) that belongs on every shelf." - Libby Cone

"The characters are vivid; (I'm certain I know one or two personally), the setting is masterfully detailed; (I could easily see it as a movie, or better yet... a theatrical production) and the pace; frantic and fevered. Hold on tight, because this trip through the lavender 'newbie shredder' is not for the faint of heart. Wickedly funny." - Timothy Mulder

"This is one nail-biting, back-stabbing, hair-pulling thrill of a ride. With the sweetest of love stories set right in the middle. I laughed so hard, I felt guilty." - Thomas Riccobuono

"Edward C Patterson offers a hilarious and engaging look into the challenges and opportunities one faces when coming out. Each of Patterson's characters are carefully crafted and I enjoyed meeting each one and seeing how their hopes, fears, desires, and manias would play out as the ever building collision course of personalities, hormones, jealousies, agendas, and love climaxed at the novel's conclusion." - Todd Fonseca, TMBOA.com

"With Cutting the Cheese, Ed Patterson allows us a glimpse of the Gay Hierarchy, as he calls it on the back cover of his vividly written novel. A very hilarious glimpse, but still with enough depth to linger." - Rebecca Lerwill

"Patterson's cleverness and sharp wit shines in this fast paced novel. There is plenty of cheese to keep the reader crack-ing up!" J.R. Reardon

"This book deserves to made into a play - the diverse range of characters would keep any audience interested, while the dialogue would have them laughing and thinking." - Yale Jaffe

"Although I am into Mr. Patterson's wonderful Jade Owl Series and the companion Sister series, there has never been a book I've read of his that is not written to the T's and whatever the genre plain wonderfully good reading." - ellen george, Top 1000 Amazon Reviewer

Edward C. Patterson
author of Cutting the Cheese
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors forum

ARRAY(0x9dcb1c30)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  106
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions