Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

Thriller, Suspense and Mystery Writers and Readers Group

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 6476-6500 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 5, 2012 5:50:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 6:15:22 PM PDT
The Seventh Chakra

Come to NYC and follow the journey when the universe delves into the lives of the unsuspecting.

A young woman, Jackie, a Coast Guard Petty Officer draws the attention of street preachers in New York, who believe she is involved with the coming of a new black Messiah.

Bernie who had only met Jackie is intrigued but unsure why.

Jamal the prophet of the coming black messiah.

John a software creator becomes the center of attention of all involved when power, energy, sex, and death, weave their existence as they become joined in a vision of the Universal Plan and the fate of everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 8:09:13 AM PDT
Hi Craig, Glad to see OMAR is doing well. Hope it keeps up.

Posted on May 5, 2012 9:57:51 AM PDT
Jersey Boy says:
For those in a suspense/mystery/thriller combo state of mind, recommend A CASE IN PRINCIPLE (the first of the Camilla Swenson amateur-sleuth series, B007DCBIFY, $2.99 per download) Camilla, crusading social worker, leads the charge of her male consorts against elitism where her female clients are concerned and bumps into the occult along the way. Author, Carmen Anthony Fiore, has written a second novel in the series titled AND BABY MAKES THREE, which will be available on the Kindle reader by mid May, 2012.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 10:55:07 AM PDT
James - Gave it a 'yes'..:)

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:23:15 AM PDT
Thanks, Rebecca.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 12:57:47 PM PDT
Kaye George says:
I got a 3-star on Amazon that had glowing words. I also got one that had nothing. Some people are just tough raters, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 1:04:19 PM PDT
mountainmama says:
Kaye, some people are very rough raters - a 3 means a good read, and that's great!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 5:04:14 PM PDT
Hi Grammy, that's better than a review! Thanks. Can't talk about the Russian...

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 5:05:03 PM PDT
Hi Craig, Got OMAR today. Maybe I'll even get a chance to read it...

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 7:14:20 PM PDT
Nash Black says:
Just went through my first surgery. The worry was the worst part--hang in there we're pulling for you, both the book and the cutting.
Irene

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:01:01 PM PDT
Well said, PL.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:03:07 PM PDT
I think the future of independents--authors AND bookstores--could very well marry. Why would an indie bookstore not want to carry a local author's work, host events for him or her? S/he has a following and will bring customers into the store. My hope is that indie authors figure out how to do things that are good for the bookstore and books in general--start a writing series, say, bring new talent to the community and the store--and that the indie author in turn finds a source of support for his or her work.

I don't know...thoughts? Is this viable--or dreaming?

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:03:56 PM PDT
It does sound complex, Alex. If it were me, I know I'd need two or three passes to layer all that in. (OK, if it were me I might need 11 or 12 :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:04:25 PM PDT
Enjoy the other home, Grammy, and congrats to your grandson!

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:04:55 PM PDT
That doesn't sound like a bad review??

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:05:18 PM PDT
Hey, good going, Craig!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 5:18:31 AM PDT
Jenny,
I think it could work if we build it on the model of house concerts. As independent singer/songwriters, my wife and I have made a pretty good living at music here and in Europe. In the last few years, house concerts have almost replaced shows in clubs as those clubs, like chain book stores, are closing everywhere. I don't write often here, but I do read posts in some forums, and have been following this one closely.
The problem, as I see it, is in finding a way to allow both the author and book store to make a profit. In house concerts, they work by contributions: a suggested 10 or 20 dollar contribution gets you finger-food and an intimate concert, usually two 45 minute sets, with a chance to chat with the musician(s) after the show. The benefactors are usually in it for the chance to have good music brought to them, and the little prestige of holding these concerts in their homes.
How to make that work in the literary world is the trick. Maybe a percentage of the author's book sales after the talk and increased traffic into their indie stores might be enough. When my first novel came out, I had a publishing house promoting it, sending it for reviews at places like Publishers Weekly and Kirkus, as well as major magazines and newspapers around the country. All I had to do was show up at Barnes and Noble or some writers' conference. Now, trying to make a go at it in this new ebook world, I'm ham-handed and clumsy. I'd love to see independent bookstores try, with our help, to institute something like you're suggesting.
Count me in.
Mike

Posted on May 7, 2012 5:40:30 AM PDT
Hi guys, my best wishes from Italy. How you doing?
I would be honored if you were so kind to help me spread the word with my two books, so that I could sneak out of invisibility.
Jesus: a hell of a secret (Thriller)
Darkness, come on in... (Short stories)
The first one is a thriller novel about Jesus that has been a bestseller in the Italian Kindle store for three months by now.
If you don't enjoy religious thrillers, you might like short stories and weird tales in the second link.
I could really use your help, guys, would much appreciate. Any advice, too, about pricing, marketing, selling, would be most welcome.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Thanks a lot!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 6:20:36 AM PDT
Mike, these are fascinating thoughts. If you'd ever like to chat about bringing such a model to a bookstore near you, I'd love to. I started a writing series at my local independent almost 3 years ago. I think at times at least it's definitely brought increased revenue to the store. For example, this our upcoming panel http://www.watchungbooksellers.com/writing-matters But I think a lot will depend on how much customers value the bookstore experience. If it seems faster, more convenient, better to buy books online, that's clearly the cheaper way to go. For me it loses something, though.

Posted on May 7, 2012 6:22:49 AM PDT
You guys know I love ITW (although am upset that our own Ted Krever had a mixed experience at its conference last year). Anyway, today on my blog there's a Made It Moment by an author who's featured in the latest ITW anthology--30 tales of romantic suspense. Hope you can come by and check it out! http://www.jennymilchman.com/blog/?p=2367

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 7:44:39 AM PDT
Definitely 2 or 3 or more. The draft wlll be done in (I hope) a couple of weeks, maybe three. Then the first revision will take some time. Then I print it and read it and swear a lot. Then I revise it again. Then I will send Beta versions to a few folks. The entire series is changing into a kind of serial event. I have come to see the PROJECT books as one continuous story, rather than seperate events and "assignments". I already know where, in general, I want to go with the fifth book. Because there are several major characters and because I keep adding new twists it is becoming a tapestry. Sometimes it's difficult to know where or when to add or subract a thread...but hey, that's the fun of it. Keep it simple and complex at the same time...

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 8:05:18 AM PDT
Hi N & I,
Thanks for the good thoughts. I'm not worried, it's just an annoyance. On the other hand it's a blessing because I will have a month before I go back to seeing clients. Which gives my hands a rest (I'm a Rolfer) and time to finish the draft and start revisions. So, a good thing over all.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 8:14:56 AM PDT
Ted Krever says:
I find myself laughing in recognition here, Alex.
The second 'Mindbenders' has nearly driven me nuts because of the transition from standalone to series. I had to understand what the bad guys were doing in order to flesh out this entire world. Things I'd whimsically included in character or story development suddenly turned into major issues. Things I thought were obvious additions threw the entire thing off-balance. I'm now moving forward at a gallop but it was hell getting here.

Posted on May 7, 2012 11:27:29 AM PDT
Free tomorrow and Wednesday (May 7 & 8), Do Unto Others is a gritty novella not for the faint-of-heart. Here is a brief description:

Sonia Forbes and Linda Jacobs are identical twins with identical mindsets...one of which is the belief in vigilante justice. Specifically, for those who intentionally harm animals.

Both being euthanasia technicians at the Animal Control facility in Jacksonville, they've seen too much needless and heartbreaking death due to "man's inhumanity" to helpless creatures. Yet rarely do they see the perpetrators of these crimes punished accordingly.

So these truly 'twisted sisters' take matters into their own hands and embark on a crime spree of their own that quickly becomes the talk of the town.

Caught in the middle is an animal-loving homicide detective, Amanda Silver, and her fiance, Kevin Monroe, the lead investigator for the county's Animal Cops Unit.

Will these law enforcement officers do their sworn duty? Or will they look the other way?

***Ala Dexter, this novella of approx. 15,000 words is for mature readers.***

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 1:48:41 PM PDT
A tapestry is a good image, Alex.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1952 May 27, 2016
Do You Have A Kindle Book? Post It Here! (2) 5178 1 minute ago
The Wordsmyth is in the 18th Dimension (and it's so strange!) 1846 1 hour ago
Welcome Readers, To Our Writers' Corner #22 2073 1 hour ago
Genre: Historical Fiction - Readers searching for such books, please visit here. Authors of such books, please post yours here. 636 2 hours ago
Meet Michael Winston, author of ten historical fiction novels. 24 3 hours ago
Tweet Book Tweet Two 7914 3 hours ago
Cozy Up with Cozy Readers and Writers: a thread for those who read and/or write cozy mysteries and their friends 6815 3 hours ago
Indie authors self-promote your Kindle E-Books - II 1650 4 hours ago
Looking for ebooks $2.99 and under 4588 4 hours ago
.99 Cents on Kindle! 167 5 hours ago
Plug Your Kindle Books Here! 3761 6 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  323
Total posts:  8316
Initial post:  May 24, 2011
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 33 customers

Search Customer Discussions