Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

Hey, everybody is outselling you because you stink and need an edit!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 676-700 of 4467 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 8:06:58 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
I don't think I posted anywhere this time. My last promo before this one, I posted it on the Freebie list for Kindle Nation Daily, and had about 750 downloads. The time before that, I didn't post it anywhere, and had about 400. It's really hard to say what works and what doesn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 8:19:59 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
L.M., I just took a look at your books, and I was wondering how you went about formatting them for Kindle. When I click on the Look Inside, I get the text of your books in teeny, tiny print. It's really difficult to read. I don't normally see that in samples, usually it automatically adjusts the text to a good reading size, so I was wondering if you did something unusual when you formatted it.

Also, your Weaver of Shadows, the Despised book has a typo in the text on the cover -- it says "Dispised". I'm wondering if these formatting issues may be part of the reason you're having trouble attracting readers on your free promo days. They're easily fixed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 8:26:33 PM PDT
L. M. Boelz says:
I did not format them I had it done. How do I fix the type size I would like to fix that

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 8:28:45 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
I don't know how to tell you to fix it without knowing how it was formatted and uploaded in the first place. What kind of file did you upload? A .doc or a .mobi, or a .prc?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 8:31:09 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
If you want, you can e-mail me at the address in my profile, and I will do what I can to help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 8:42:50 PM PDT
L. M. Boelz says:
I have not heard of Kindle Nation daily do you have a link for it?

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 8:45:36 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
This is a link to Kindle Nation Daily http://kindlenationdaily.com/ If you click on the "sponsorship" menu, you'll see all of their promotional packages. It costs $29.99 for their "Free Book Highlighter" service for a day. I haven't yet been able to decide if it's worth that cost or not, which is why I don't do it every time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 2:37:04 AM PDT
mountainmama says:
I can't get it to play videos either, PS, so don't know what the problem is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 2:42:01 AM PDT
mountainmama says:
Lin, I was always taught to spell out any number from zero to twelve, but for 13 and up use the numerals (but I was educated back in the stone ages). Of course, there are exceptions - numbers that start a sentence ('Three hundred years ago, the Pilgrims landed.') or proper names for objects (Ford F-150) or dates (She was born in 1947.). I see a lot of people type out milestone numbers (hundred, thousand, million), so I guess it would make sense to type out thirty, forty, fifty, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 2:42:56 AM PDT
mountainmama says:
That's a good way to look at it, PS - single words. Works for me.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 2:58:14 AM PDT
Rick H. Veal says:
Teacher Mommy says:
>>It costs $29.99 for their "Free Book Highlighter" service for a day. I haven't yet been able to decide if it's worth that cost or not, which is why I don't do it every time.<<

Good Morning All!
This is just my thoughts so take it as you will, but, if you decide to use this service it's basically just an advertising cost and you have to look at that way. Now, you're already giving away the book, and you have plenty of places in the forums to promote that, so do you really want to spend that money and will you get any return on it? Maybe ... most likely not! However, there is one possible upside to a free promotion, especially if you are going to print. Anytime anyone downloads a free book from Kindle they receive an invoice for a sale -- the total is 0.00 due -- but it's an invoice. Technically, and please don't call me a politician - I'm just playing the game by their rules - that would allow you, when pitching your book to an agent/publisher to say 'My book has sold over XXXX number of copies to customers on amazon Kindle.' Sounds good on paper, but certainly your call. When you are doing a free day you also have to consider whether or not you'll get anything back -- good reviews are the best you can hope for (currently 1 out of 951 downloads) and can be used in other advertising -- probably not a lot of follow-up sales. Now that Kindle has separated the Free and Paid sections, when your free day is over, your book drops like a rock back to it's original place or lower (because of no sales during free period). When you get to the bottom of the whole mess, it's ultimately up to you and me as authors to promote our work - Amazon gives us a place to do it, but they are doing it to make money for themselves and really don't care if you and I make a penny or not. Like I said, just my thoughts. Rick

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 4:39:32 AM PDT
Realistically, I reckon I'm getting more sales from forum presence and promotion than I did from the follow up position after the free days on KDP.

I'm not troubling the best seller ranks on either event, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 4:44:01 AM PDT
mountainmama says:
Will, I tend to agree - there are an amazing amount of lurkers on each of these threads. If you have a good personality and people like you, they will click on your profile and check out your books. I know that's what I do!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 4:46:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2012 4:48:02 AM PDT
Another good idea is to plan out free days WELL in advance and then try to get a mention on Pixel of Ink (http://www.pixelofink.com/). It's not a given, and they don't post everyone who contacts them (otherwise it would be a madhouse), but if you have a Free promotion coming out 2 weeks or more ahead of time and you know it, it's not a bad idea to let them know. If they do feature you, you can probably expect a ton of downloads.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 4:51:23 AM PDT
So, what I need now is a magic formula to become amazingly popular...
Maybe be a popular politician? No, that's an oxymoron.

I know, I'll start a campaign for something non controversial. Bit challenging on Amazon, I know, but I'm sure there must be something. Free sunshine for the over 50s?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 4:56:02 AM PDT
"I'll start a campaign for something non controversial."

Hey, controversy sells. I think in the back of all of our reptile brains, there's a little part hoping to read a headline one day like "Riots across the country over (insert your book) by (insert your name) as book supporters clash over controversial ending." :)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 5:00:53 AM PDT
Rick H. Veal says:
Well, the good thing about being an indie author is that if someone wants to have a book burning they have to contact you to get them (at full price, no quantity discounts for burnings!) ;-)! Rick

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:02:33 AM PDT
There's something to be said for you, Will.

At Readercon, Laird and Nathan and I were talking - and Laird, in particular, was extolling just sitting and talking with fans. (In person it's more effective in small groups, in my opinion.) We were saying that panels and all are great, but it's just sitting and talking, one-on-one, or ten-on-one - those rarer moments - when you heard the really juicy bits!

It's that which can draw me to someone, or their writing. If they can't amuse me when I'm trying to friend it up with them, I'm less likely to give their writing a chance. If I feel a bond with them, because of that presence, I'm more likely to be drawn to their work.

And I know I'm just a reader, but I figure it's not bad to have a reader's point of view. And that is, I like hearing about you authors, I like seeing you joke around, and being like, 'they're a human being, just like me!' I want to like your work, but if you're nice to me, it makes me feel special and appreciated, and I'll feel more emotionally invested in trying your work, or just buying it without sampling. (I can't tell you how many times I've done this with author's I've spoken to face to face at just two Readercons - and have found amazing new-to-me talents!)

And just because you're promoting, it doesn't mean you have to be pushy or in my face. Sometimes, you being your witty, charming self can sell your work for you. I can tell you this - I didn't buy one book from an overly pushy dealer in the dealer's room, and there were a couple. I *did* buy a couple from the guy who bought me coffee after demanding I tweet he was mean, because we were both snickering at the thought. I did buy from the dealers who took the time to talk to me, and yes, talked up their work but bothered to find out what I wanted first. I did buy from the dealers and authors who took a moment, to longer moments, to make me feel like I was a person and not a paycheck.

And I think a lot of it is that last part - we don't want to feel that we're just cash in your bank account. I can't emphasize this enough - treat us with respect, and most readers will reciprocate in my experience, especially the ones passionate about books who will share recommendations with their friends. And those, I believe, should really be your target audience. (Word of mouth was another issue Laird and Nathan and I touched upon - and it can be a force of nature!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:03:06 AM PDT
mountainmama says:
Fortunately, different readers like different personalities - a lot like quick wit, some like sarcasm, etc. You never know what will attract a reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:06:40 AM PDT
Will,

I can't tell without a tone how serious you are - but from a reader's vantage point? Just don't treat me like an ATM. I'm not your personal cash machine. Authors and dealers who took two seconds to talk to me at Readercon immediately made me feel special and like they cared about me, and were treating me like a fully fleshed out person. It's funny how quickly that can happen!

It's much, much easier to sell me something when you've made me feel like you're not like, 'money, next'. Is it a guarantee of a sale? No. But you won't have to work as hard, and you'll stick in my mind, and if my friend wants a book in the genre I don't read in, I'll send them you're way to check out your books.

Respect goes a long way, and I've come to realize that it's one of the first things I look for when talking to an author, online or in RL.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:07:55 AM PDT
That's controversial - why can't the under 50s have it, too?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:12:46 AM PDT
Because the sun will wrinkle their young, smooth, supple skin - so we have to convince us that we don't want it anyway?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:12:49 AM PDT
Listen, I've had to work hard to retain the little I've got (to paraphrase Seasick Steve)...

let the youngsters work for their own sunshine!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:18:47 AM PDT
Coaxial, with me, if in doubt: default to being silly. In fact, there's rarely much deoubt, apart from the times stupidity arrives instead.

I've never treated a reader as a money source. If I did that, I'd find something to do that made money, instead. This is for the fun of it. Amazon is OK, but the very best fun I've ever had came from a giuy in a bookshop a couple of weeks ago. He wandered past the fantasy section, and (as is my wont [want?] I leaped out from my concealment in a disued bookcase and accosted him with a copy of my latest rubbish. He flicked through it, then looked at it in more detail, then shook my hand and told me that was exactly what he'd come into the bookshop to find, and took it to the till.

He didn't make my day. He gave me a memory to treasure for EVER. And i forgot to ask his name....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:32:33 AM PDT
Oh, I'm all for making the *real* youngsters work for their own. Perhaps we could set the lower age limit for free sunshine at, say, 43?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  103
Total posts:  4467
Initial post:  Jun 24, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions