Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

Non-fiction authors post here.

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 701-725 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 13, 2012 6:06:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 6:08:29 AM PDT
BookWeek says:
Good morning non-fiction fans. Here's some mid-week promo and hope the rest of the week is stellar for all. Hi Doug!

It's not only a doctor's medical school education, residency training, and launching into practice that's so demanding, but what may be creeping into the professional's personal life along the way. - A Physician's Plight: A Memoir - Professional Success ... Personal Disaster. The predicaments which befall the protagonist could happen to anyone, especially for the primary wage earner in a relationship, regardless of career.

"This book pulls no punches - nothing is sacred, nothing is left out! Anesthesiologist Katherine Klein, MD, gives us "the good, the bad, and the ugly" of her family-of-origin, her marital suffering, and her divorce, which landed her in Family Court."
Josh Grossman, MD, FACP, Col. (ret.), U.S. Army Medical Corps

"A Physician's Plight" is an intriguing read that shouldn't be missed for readers of personal memoirs.
Mary Cowper, Reviewer, The Midwest Book Review

An Amazon customer's review -
By J. Silcox
Format:Paperback
This book truly defines that with determination one can overcome heartbreak and financial pitfalls. Anyone who has experienced life's hard knocks can benefit from reading this informative and uplifting book.

A Physician's Plight: A Memoir - Professional Success ... Personal Disaster - A must read for people considering divorce or getting into a serious relationship and an eye-opener for everyone else!

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 6:46:15 AM PDT
Doug DePew says:
Thank you, Flyer!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 7:49:19 AM PDT
Juncoe says:
I have a new one about to hit the street. My Lady.

By Chappy (9 other books)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 3:31:36 PM PDT
K. MCCAY says:
Hello all. Just stopping in to do a little blurb about my book, which was recently published. My book can be found here on amazon and on most major e-book distributors. The title of the book is, "Confessions of a Heretic: How a Right Wing, Fundamentalist, Conservative Pastor Became a Leftist, Liberal Heathen".

As one can guess from the title it is the true story of my journey deep into the world of fundamentalist, evangelical Christianity and my journey back out of that world. The first half of the book is simply my memoirs detailing my journey. The second half deals with doctrines espoused by fundamentalist Christians and the problems which I believe those doctrines cause in the lives of the people who hold to those doctrines.

I wish I could say it was a perfect book (I have already found several editing errors), but I hope that people will be able to read it and at least be caused to think. Thank you for allowing me to mention my book here. The link to my book on Amazon is: Confessions of a Heretic: How a Right Wing, Fundamentalist, Conservative Pastor Became a Leftist, Liberal Heathen

If you do happen to read my book and enjoy it, if you write a positive review and let me know (bmac3130@yahoo.com) I will add your name for a drawing for a signed copy of an original copy of the manuscript.

Also, feel free to ask any questions you might have. :)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 4:31:39 PM PDT
Doug DePew says:
Huh...I wonder what got deleted? Guess we'll never know.

Anybody out there who has some good non-fiction to add, feel free. The more great reads, the merrier!

Doug

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 5:56:04 AM PDT
Doug DePew says:
Wow, Father's Day just snuck right up on me. I just finished Memoirs of a Holocaust Survivor: Icek Kuperberg by Icek Kuperberg (and his son). It was very moving. I ended up thinking it was better than some of the reviews said. I stringently disagreed with some reviewers. It's well worth the $.99 I paid for it.

If anybody out there's looking for a Father's Day gift, you can probably find one among all the super titles in this thread. Surely there's something for Dad here?

SAT & BAF! Memories of a Tower Rat

or

Recall! Return of the IRR

...might be something he'd enjoy.
:-)

I'm also being featured today on Quiet Fury Books in an interview with Darcia Helle. Here it is if you'd like to check it out.
http://quietfurybooks.com/blog/2012/06/doug-depew

Everybody have a super Thursday!
Doug

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 7:30:49 AM PDT
max says:
Hamburg 1947: A Place for the Heart to Kip 99 cents

Harry Leslie Smith's second memoir, Hamburg 1947: A Place for the Heart to Kip is a love story in my mind and it's just brilliant. -Judging covers

One of the most worthwhile features of Hamburg 1947: a place for the heart to kip is its portrayal of life as a member of an occupying force in a conquered city... his descriptions of the devastated city have an unforgettable lyric beauty.-Indie E-Book Review

"I did not expect to have compassion for the German population after WWII, but I was shocked at the conditions the non-war-criminal average citizens of Germany lived with during the Occupation of the Allies in Germany"

The memoir is well written, with a compelling story that carried me along steadily. I like to find at least one reviewing pinprick, although it's difficult this time. The book ends with a cliff-hanger, making me wonder what came next. In all, I cannot recommend this memoir highly enough.-The Kindle Book Review

From the Author
It is autumn, the wet and damp time. I can already feel the approaching cold and heavy breath of the frozen months upon the nape of my neck. If I survive, this will be my eighty-ninth winter on this Earth. Some say age brings wisdom, reason, serenity. I say bollocks; great age brings rheumatism, deafness, vascular degeneration, and organ failure. So far, I have been lucky and my body has endured my storm-tossed life, healthy and intact. It is a blessing I appreciate and honour every morning by performing the graceful movements of tai chi which provides me the balance to combat the punishment great age bestows on those who dare to live so long. We suffer the irretrievable loss of love, through death. We abide the profound loneliness of age as friends and lovers disappear from our grasp and are replaced with static photographs mounted high up on our fireplace mantel. I don't ask for condolences or your pity because I have felt an elemental chart of wondrous emotions during my life. I have experienced the very best and the very worst that mankind has to offer. I have loved and been loved and that is a great matter. It is all that should matter. It is all that must matter, even to you, dear reader. So as I walk into the fourth season of life, I say accept love as it comes and accept love as it goes because it is the only currency that never devalues us.
I leave you now with a small piece of my life; my time in Germany following the last Great War. It is a simple story about people searching to belong and survive in a world that was almost destroyed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:01:01 AM PDT
Doug DePew says:
Thanks for posting, Max! That reminds me...I need to get Hamburg 1947: A Place for the Heart to Kip on my Kindle!!! That sounds like something that's right up my alley.

I'm loading up for vacation.

Doug

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 4:22:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 4:24:26 PM PDT
J. C. Willis says:
Hi Doug, Bob, and all.
Saw a freebie that looked interesting:
The Hogs of Cold Harbor: The Civil War Saga of Private Johnny Hess, CSA Civil War - based on the diaries of Southwest Virginian John Henry Hess, Pvt., CSA (Company G, 29th Virginia Infantry Regiment, Pickett's Division, Longstreet's Corps, 1862-1864).

I hope you've all been well and have a great time next week, Doug. Rest that back, Bob. Hope you feel better soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 5:27:33 PM PDT
Doug DePew says:
Thanks, JC! I'll grab that. I just picked up a couple other history freebies last night playing around in bed with the Kindle. I got one on Ghengis Khan and another one. I'll try to get them on here once I see if they're good.

It's good to see you. It's been a while. I hope you check out the interview I put up there. It came out pretty good for my first interview, I think.
Doug

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 5:54:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 5:57:13 PM PDT
Streets of Fire

I was requested to write this book even while I was actively a policeman in Oakland, California. The speech writer for The Governor of Oregon once asked to write my story, but I assured him, "If it will be written, I will do it". And I wanted to wait until I retired, because everyday, while still an active officer, I experienced new stories out on the streets of Oakland to write about.

This book shows how, when we put our trust in God, He will be present to do amazing things. I have written each chapter to "stand alone," each chapter being a different crime or event that occurred while I was at work on the streets.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:09:22 PM PDT
Doug DePew says:
That sounds quite interesting, enjoy reading! Thanks for adding it to the thread.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 6:47:33 PM PDT
Ian Fraser says:
-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~
My Own Private Orchestra
(five star reviews)

Originally published by Penguin Books, the work was nominated for a literary award in '94.

'A Remarkable Memoir'

"I am simply in awe of this little gem. The writing, the imagery, the feeling . . . it's all beautifully done. It isn't easy to know that such terrible things have been experienced by anyone, but it is the realization that someone can endure those things and emerge as a human being who can assimilate those things and emerge - not unscathed, not undamaged, but far from destroyed by them - that is truly remarkable. "

Ian Fraser's brutally frank autobiography of a turbulent childhood and life in the army under Apartheid was first published by Penguin Books in 1993. The work earned a CNA Literary Award nomination in 1994.

Due to its graphic content, this memoir is recommended for adults only.
-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~
My Own Private Orchestra

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:18:00 PM PDT
J. C. Willis says:
Hi Doug! Good to 'see' you too!

Sorry I've been silent for so long - It's been busy at work and home lately. I run a two-room imaging department at a non-profit public health clinic and business is booming. Been all I could do to keep up with you and the TSW people. You guys have been a real education for me in self-publishing and I really appreciate the help. I just got a laptop so I won't have to compete with the wife for time at home. Maybe I can get online more often.

I caught that interview - great job. One of your favorite songs reminded of a day I was hitching to the beach back in the seventies and the ride took me along to a party in Malibu. After getting drunk on the patio listening to these three hippie guys trying hard to impress the ladies with a guitar jam, I went inside to listen to a guy doing the same thing on the piano for about four other women. It was a great tune and I complimented him after, said he should record a demo and get it out there. It was "Hotel California" just before it came out, LOL. The guy just laughed and said thank you. My ride had to tell me who they were. I was so out of touch, I hadn't listened to the Eagles before.

Have a great trip, Doug. 'See" you when you get back.

JC

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:30:53 PM PDT
Doug DePew says:
Thanks, Ian!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:32:48 PM PDT
Doug DePew says:
That's funny, JC!

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 7:47:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 7:48:16 AM PDT
Doug DePew says:
Well, everybody, here it is Friday again. TGIF! As always, anything you run across that looks like good non-fiction is welcome. Like I told JC, I have a couple free history books I grabbed to check out.

Anything from hobbies to travel to self-help to history to biographies or memoirs is welcome. If it's true, we want it in this thead!

Doug

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 1:56:21 PM PDT
Doug, hope you are having a great time! Everyone is going to miss your presence.

Happy Father's Day Dads. Maybe you should help yourself to a healthy read. It's not just for women, but covers subjects applicable to men & women. Plus, it's an enjoyable read! Some good insight into the whys and hows of some common problems over 50, too. Check it out, for sure:

Younger Next Decade

Have a fun wrap-up to the weekend, y'awl!

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 2:57:52 PM PDT
nakmeister says:
Your Guide to Sports at the London 2012 Olympic Games

With the Olympics coming up, here is my guide to all Olympic Sports, including a description of each sport at London 2012, the different events for each sport, a bit of history and top tips for who to look out for.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 9:51:07 AM PDT
Nakmeister, that sounds terrific for anyone going there or for just being glued in front of the television for the upcoming coverage.

Bet Doug is having a good time. He's taking a little get-away from it all! Doug, when you get back, I covered Tootsies, Dama's, Burger Up etc. :) Living in TN.......it was about time!

Younger Next Decade. Keep healthy, stay young!

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 12:03:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 9, 2012 12:45:39 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 2:26:23 PM PDT
Doug DePew says:
That's great, Dr. Barb! I agree. It's about time you got to those places. Is Burger Up that place across the street from Tootsies? It's kind of legendary, too? I ate there this last time. It was pretty fun. I'm glad you had a good time in Nashville. I'm thinking of heading back down there around September.

We got back late last night. Puerto Vallarta was beautiful. It was a great, relaxing week...great way to spend our anniversary. We came home to three brand new puppies under the house, too!! They're cute. I brought them out to the deck. Their eyes aren't even open yet, and I think two are taken. Luckily, they look just like their mama.

Well, I hope everybody's having a great week so far this week. I've got a lot of catching up to do before I go back to work.

Doug

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 3:02:58 PM PDT
J. C. Willis says:
Hi Bob! I know what you mean about the tinnitis; I was a #1 man for most of my time in the artillery, meaning I got to stand right at the breechblock holding a round while they fired the loaded one, unable to cover more than one ear. I'm just lucky they weren't the 8inchers or 175mms or I'd be stone deaf.

1976 for that Eagles tune, heh? Most of the seventies were lost years for me, Bob, but that sounds about right. They were really nice guys and great guitarists but I was wondering why all the ladies were going crazy, lol.

The book has been going well, LIGHT CASUALTIES: A Private War - VIETNAM 1968. The history guys don't seem to like it much but the vets are buying it. Maybe I should put in a warning to NCO's and officers that there may be enlisted men's opinions expressed, lol.

all the best,
JC

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 3:06:08 PM PDT
Doug DePew says:
I like that warning, JC! I should probably have one on mine, too.

Doug

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 3:11:16 PM PDT
J. C. Willis says:
Hi Doug!

Welcome back! I'm glad you had a great time, you deserved it.

Enjoy those puppies. The wife and I just rescued three kittens a couple of weeks ago and after hand feeding, they've grown to the "motorized" stage where they just run around the coffee table at high speed for minutes at a time and then fall out unconscious for a half hour before it starts all over again. Kinda makes you feel too old and young at the same time.

Enjoy the time off you have left,
JC
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  301
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  May 25, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions