Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

Have you written a book - tell us about it

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on May 17, 2011 4:13:21 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 7226-7250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 10:06:27 AM PDT
Lisa Potocar says:
Your announcement above states that your "site is open to anyone to post their books." However, it seems that anyone can submit their book to your archive, but it won't be posted unless it has been self-published or is from a small press. Is it worth my time to complete the application if I fit neither of those categories?

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 12:10:29 PM PDT
Story Time

Customer Reviews
(45)
4.3 out of 5 stars
5 star
4 star
3 star
2 star
1 star
See all 45 customer reviews
" I loved this book, and found it was impossible for me not to continue reading, as the story would keep pulling me back in a need to know more. " J Bryden Lloyd | 18 reviewers made a similar statement
" Nothing is predictable about 'Story Time' except that it is very well told by a fantastic writer. " Ellen Ekey-Hines | 19 reviewers made a similar statement
" This is an excellent book that I will read again and highly recommend to everyone who enjoys a most realistic Sci-Fi novel. " J. D. Michael Phelps | 6 reviewers made a similar statement
Most Helpful Customer Reviews

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 2:09:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 2:10:28 PM PDT
Seb Kirby says:
Hi

October 8th 2008. This must be the most longlasting thread of al time! And Esme; I'm pretty sure she works for the company and was sent out back then to encourage writers to post on the general forums when this whole e-publishing business was not yet in its infancy. How things have changed! Here we are at MOA.

And I'm here to let you know about my new thriller Double Bind.

Here's the first review:

5.0 out of 5 stars

'An excellent story and really well told

Seb Kirby has taken a new direction in his second novel. It is at heart a deeply intriguing psychological thriller. I would say it leans a little towards science fiction although it still contains elements of mystery and murder as in his debut novel Take No More - the Murder Mystery Thriller. Imagine not only the sort of identity theft where someone steals your credit card and passwords but where s/he effectively becomes you. The physical resemblance is so close it fools your nearest and dearest. This is not Sci-fi in the tentacled green monsters or whizzy machines sense but it concerns the potential destruction of our planet at our own hands.

I began by suspecting the narrator, Raymond Bridges, of concocting the story for his own ends but as the book progressed I found him a sympathetic character and was really rooting for him. Had I been a nail-biter I'd have been up to my elbows by about 85%. The chapters are short so it's tempting just to read another... and another! The book is narrated by a character who is not familiar with the use of the past tense and initially this takes a little getting used to. It doesn't hinder the flow of the story though and I found it an effective ploy for distancing him from others.

This is a book that hooks you early on and as the plot unfolds, it's hard to stop reading. An excellent story and really well told.'

Best wishes

Seb

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 3:03:33 PM PDT
I'm Adam and I run a site called Front Row Lit (www.frontrowlit.com) that is always looking to offer free publicity to authors and creative writers. If you're interested in submitting your work simply follow the guidelines found at http://frontrowlit.com/?page_id=503 and we'll do the rest. Thanks.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 5:17:09 PM PDT
Hi guys! Killer in Sight (A Tom Lackey Mystery) is my newly released southern thriller. :)

When a young woman is found murdered in a public park, it is up to RPD detective Lt. Tom Lackey to locate her killer. With the help of his longtime girlfriend and professional photographer, Kathy Spencer, Lackey unravels a mystery laden with psychosis and unexpected revelations. While Tom is busy following the multiple clues pouring in from different directions, Kathy gets to work to prove her own theory: The last image viewed by the dying person can be lifted from the eyes of the victim to identify the murderer. Using her background in photography and her passion for iridology, Kathy enlists the help of Dr. Greer, a snow-haired medical examiner who allows her to take shots of Tracey Newman's eyes. Her findings are puzzling, but they are supported by Alexis Howard, the dead girl's ten-year-old half sister who volunteers information she claims was delivered to her by her imaginary friend Lily. With multiple suspects floating up to the surface and skeletons yanked out of unlikely closets, Tom must rely on his methodical expertise and on Kathy's insight to find the killer before tragedy strikes again.

Killer in Sight (A Tom Lackey Mystery)

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 1:08:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 13, 2012 11:57:09 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 1:19:23 AM PDT
The Dancing Boy

FREE TODAY 12th JULY FOR ONE DAY ONLY.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 2:04:45 AM PDT
25 Stories of Life and Love in AustraliaA Taste of Life and Love in AustraliaThe Essence of Life and Love in AustraliaReflections of Life and Love in Australia60 Questions, Insights and ReminiscencesLong and Short Australian Stories
These are works written by Margaret Lynette Sharp, and edited by her husband Ronald Sharp B.E.M., the creator of the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall's Grand Organ. They are all easy to read, and literary. '25 Stories of Life and Love in Australia' and 'A Taste of Life and Love in Australia' have received 5 star reviews.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 12:16:14 PM PDT
Thanks for the opportunity to promote. And my sincere thanks to all the Kindlers who've purchased my books. AWJ

Those of you who may download a sample of Into The Twilight: The True Origins of Abe Lincoln need to know that this 60,000 word novel has alternating narrators. The sample and "Look Inside the Book" contain only part of the first chapter which is narrated by Abram Enloe and can give the impression that the whole book is narrated by him. On the contrary, the wife, and then young Nancy Hanks, take their turns telling the story.

5 star reviewer comments:
*****Annis Ward Jackson can be depended upon to produce a well-written and well-researched story.......ITT has really captivated me with its rich details and descriptions of early US people, their customs and influences. My interest in Abraham Lincoln has increased tremendously.
*****The legend of the true origins of Abraham Lincoln has existed around North Carolina since his birth. This author takes the legend and weaves it into a very believable story. Annis Ward Jackson is a great writer.

Into The Twilight: The True Origins of Abe Lincoln
Walk along with Abraham Enloe, his wife Sarah, and their bondservant, Nancy Hanks, as their lives become inextricably intertwined.

Enloe, father of several children, is a successful farmer and well-respected magistrate in Puzzle Creek, a small community in the mountains of North Carolina in the early 1800's. He has battled the elements and wild animals, and fought in the Revolutionary War but nothing has prepared him for the overwhelming passion he comes to feel for young Nancy Hanks.Enloe, Sarah, and Nancy narrate this story, each from their individual perspectives. Each account is filled with selfish and unselfish love, sensuality and lust, and joy and sorrow.

Into The Twilight: The True Origins of Abe Lincoln is based on traditional lore that goes back to the early 1800's. The story was common knowledge in western North Carolina but many accounts also appeared in newspapers around the country when Abraham Lincoln first ran for public office.
If actual proof (DNA is in process) could be found of Lincoln's having been born elsewhere, perhaps the story would fade away. Until then, the legend lives on.

#55 in Books > Biographies & Memoirs > People, A-Z > ( L ) > Lincoln, Abraham

$3.99 on Kindle

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 12:17:03 PM PDT
Into the Deep: A Story of Resolution

5 star Reviewer comments:
* This was just an excellent book. The writing was so well done and obvious the author was so intrigued by the story. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a great read and one that fully and totally absorbs your mind.
* I love everything I've read so far by this author (and no, I don't know her). Her writing and descriptions are beautiful in all of her books. The first sentence of this book is as follows: "The surface of the lake quivered, a steady breeze creating a never-ending ripple of diamonds as droplets caught the sun in their brief suspension." I can see the sun and the lake with its sparkling ripples, and I can feel the breeze.
*Into the Deep cannot be pigeon-holed into one category. Yes, it is fiction but historical details of the TVA's construction of Watauga Lake and other events such as the flood of 1940 are accurate. By the same token, ITD could be classified a murder/mystery. However, no matter the category, it is an excellent read!
*I loved this story of resolution, steeped full of historical facts and you felt a connection to the woman as she told it.

Against a backdrop of beautiful Watauga Lake in the mountains of eastern Tennessee comes the story of Violet Thurston Oliver, a descendant of pioneers and a woman with no intention of ever vacating the land that has been in her family for nearly two hundred years. However, Violet discovers that so-called progress grinds on with little concern for her personal feelings.

Proud, stoic, and self-sufficient, Violet withstands an abusive marriage and forced relocation from her beloved farm in the late 1940's when the Tennessee Valley Authority covered over six thousand acres with a dam to provide electricity and recreational opportunities.

The lake has been Violet's sorrow and her salvation. Will her fifty-year-old secret remain safe or will it rise from the depths and threaten the remaining years of a life of hard work, integrity and perserverance?

Into the Deep: A Story of Resolution
$3.99 on Kindle

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 1:19:35 PM PDT
America's Unknown Wars - hee are five unknown wars, from colonial New England to the dawn of the twentieth century. Have we learned their lessons?

Here's a recent review:

"Does anyone remember King Phillip's War? And does anyone know that King Phillip was an Indian? Sadly, it's not taught in US History any more. He also goes into more detail about the War of 1812 - most people only know that The Star Spangled Banner was written during that war - if they know that much. This is a pretty easy read as history goes, and handily broken into chapters so you can read about one war, and then save the book until later to read about the next. If you have a high school student, I would recommend making him or her read it at least once, so as to be a little better educated about our country. (Both my 11th and 8th graders will be reading it this summer, ahead of their US History courses in school this year)."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 1:40:43 PM PDT
Thanks for getting this started Esme!

My name is Stephen Courson and I just published Legacy: Secrets of a Prince on Kindle and Nook. The paperback will available in about a week. Legacy: Secrets of a Prince

My book is a fantasy novel appropriate for young teens and up. Legacy is going to be a series that revolves around a 17-year old boy who finds himself in the right place at the wrong time. He has a strong supporting cast of characters that involves his best friend, a mysterious mentor, and a strong-willed, intelligent princess. Located in the land of Azzaria, the four kingdoms are on the brink of war and a wedding to seal a treaty could be the only thing to keep war from happening. With twists and plenty of action and surprises, you'll be thrust into discovering all about Azzaria while the characters are forced to work together and make their own personal decisions to figure out what kind of person they want to be.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 2:58:45 PM PDT
Story Time

over 53- 4 and 5 star reviews---#94 in paid (Science Fiction) Kindle Store... only $2.99~~

In the not too distant future a young woman bears witness to the end of her world.

Earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions rock the planet, reducing cities to smoking rubble, burying entire islands and coastlines beneath cataclysmic waves.

Religious fervor and human evil erupt and entwine, becoming a maelstrom of madness in the days after, bringing with it the horror of apocalyptic war.

As a population in the depths of despair struggles to overcome insurmountable odds, can a single glimmer of hope flare into a beacon for the survivors?

This is her tale...the world is ours...and now, it's STORY TIME.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 3:03:39 PM PDT
UNDERDOG (Prison Killers- Book 4) Crime thrillers from the inside of the Criminal Justice system out. Available in print, ebook and audio by Amazon best selling author Glenn Langohr. "Ex-con Langohr can describe the hell of life inside better than any other writer. His vivid passages on just surviving in prison describe a nightmare we'd rather not know about. He compares the plight of abandoned dogs, locked and horribly mistreated in rows of cages in animal shelters, to California prison inmates, locked and abused in the same cages. Not a book for the faint of heart. We who sleep peacefully in our beds at night, unaware of the savagery going on behind prison walls, can only thankfully say: 'There, but for the grace of God, go I'." John South American Media

Roll Call, The Infamous Prison List ( Volume 1 ) 16.99 in print, 2.99 with kindle and FREE for prime members. Almost always in the top 20 in crime with 20 Five star reviews.

Race Riot (Prison Killers- Book 1) A prison thriller novella in the top 10 in crime, .99 cents with kindle and available in audio to listen to like a movie.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 5:08:11 PM PDT
A. J. P. says:
ONLY 99 CENTS "Selected Readings In Easy Spanish" (Kindle Edition)

This book contains selection of pages written in simple, easy Spanish, especially chosen for intermediate language students.

Fun and easy to read, it includes selected excerpts from the following best-selling novels:

*The Old Man And The Sea by Ernest Hemingway
*Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchele
*Five Weeks In A Baloon by Julius Verne.
*Tarzan Of The Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
*Wuthering Heights by Emily Bontë
*The Methamorphosis by Franz Kafka
*The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells
*Frankenstein by Mary ShellEy

The present selection has been dully edited and simplified, increasing language comprehension and allowing you to improve your reading skills using simple wording, short sentences, and moderate, intermediate-level vocabulary.

Compiled, translated and edited by the Venezuelan bilingual journalist and literary author Alvaro Parra Pinto, editor of Ediciones De La Parra Publishing Company, this first volume intends to be the initial step of a growing series that will soon include new selected readings in easy Spanish, especially designed for intermediate language students like you.

LATEST REVIEW:

Another simple way to integrate Spanish July 10, 2012
By Senora Gose

My Spanish 2 and 3 students are always looking for ways to practice and increase their Spanish knowledge. We often make use of novels, so it's great to find another easy, inexpensive resource that they'll find interesting, since many of the texts they've already read in English. There are classics, that have been shortened to be easy to read, but not so summarized that it feel "cliffnote-y" (is that a word?)

I'll be recommending these to my students immediately, before the fall semester starts. Great use of the summer months.

Sra. Gose
Bilingual Mother of Five
Teacher, Author
Flip Flop Spanish Series

Selected Readings In Easy Spanish Vol 1 (Spanish Lite Series) (Spanish Edition)

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 5:33:20 PM PDT
Here's the Indie Book of the Day review (verdict) from 6/26 for
Operation Neurosurgeon: You never know ... who's in the OR -
And if you'd like to see a less than a 1 1/2 minute book trailer for it, please visit http://barbaraebel.weebly.com

"Author Barbara Ebel creatively uses medical facts by deeply embedding them into the storyline and at the same time keeping the readers hooked. Operation Neurosurgeon stars a character whose single mistake can cost him a career but everything is not over yet, or is it? Barbara Ebel has managed to keep the suspense & mystery alive, till the very end. An enjoyable read & recommended for those who prefer detailed descriptions with logical plot progression."
- IBD Verdict

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outcome, A Novel: There's more than a hurricane coming ... -
What looms ahead as Karen Puno and her Labrador Retriever flee a barrier island? As Hurricane Ivan roars towards them, a policeman is about to make a horrible mistake.

Around the central tragedy of the ensuing car crash, there is despair and hope, loss and recovery, guilt and romance; and a world of characters who spring to life. It is through Karen's organ donation that a woman with liver disease is given a second chance. It cannot happen without a pilot who shuttles the transplant team, the children of both patients, and a surgeon and an anesthesiologist.

The paradise which turned deadly in a matter of minutes also wreaks havoc on Putt-Putt, Karen's dog, who cannot understand the subversion of his world but yet must fight to survive. Through his eyes we understand the complexities he is forced to endure after he escapes the crushed metal pile into the blowing sand and gusty wind.

ALERT! Readers will experience what a major surgery is like in the primary O.R. scene.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Younger Next Decade: After Fifty, the Transitional Decade, and what You Need to Know -
Tired of the same old health tips? You won't find them here! Gift yourself this fun and refreshing book written by an M.D. for women's and men's health and lifestyle, especially if you're over 50.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 9:35:05 PM PDT
Lisa Potocar says:
Margaret, I tried adding your novel to my "to-read" list on GoodReads in hopes of helping you to get some attention; however, I noticed that there are two novels listed on GR with your same title. Am I correct in assuming that the one listed under the author name of "Margaret Pargeter" is yours? I'll probably ending up reading it because I love Australia and romances with suspenseful twists.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 10:21:14 PM PDT
Hi Lisa,
Thank you, that is nice of you to do this for me. I use my name Margaret Tanner for all my novels. I don't know who Margaret Pargeter is. My stories are all set in Australia, and have a romantic theme running through them, so, if the author name is not Margaret Tanner, it is not me. Sometimes, different authors do come up with the same titles for their books, but of course, the story is different, but I can see where it would add to the confusion.

Many thanks.
Best wishes

Margaret

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 6:22:34 AM PDT
Lisa Potocar says:
Margaret, I can't add Savage Possessions to my "to-read" list on GoodReads because it isn't archived there. But I'm keeping it in my personal "to-read" list for sometime, hopefully in the near future. When I get to it, I'll do a customer review of it on Amazon. Good luck.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 1:02:28 PM PDT
"Let me tell you bout a story bout a guy named. . ." Oh wait, that an old tv show. So how about this instead? :)

Before it is written, all HISTORY is seen and experienced 'Close-Up'. Some come home to tell the story.

What does it mean "to wonder"? "EVERYTHING HAPPENED IN VIETNAM: THE YEAR OF THE RAT", by Robert Peter Thompson.

From the chapter: "PAINT IT BLACK"

". . . it left me wondering . . . But then it seemed like you were always left wondering about something . . .why didn't Staff Sergeant Jackson get down? . . . somebody hollered out: "Fire in the hole!" I wondered what he was thinking about . . . he just remained standing there until the shrapnel caught him in the face.

. . . he looked like a wolf. He really did. Or maybe like a coyote. And he had this one other really peculiar characteristic. Actually it was a behavior . . . he would pull out a paperclip . . . unfold it so that one end of it was completely distended and insert the pointed end directly into his ear. Then, as he slowly twirled the extended tip of the unfolded paperclip deep into his inner ear, a most amazing countenance would overtake the features of his wolfish face. A look of sheer bliss.

. . .You had to see it to believe it. . .it occurred to me maybe he didn't actually hear "fire in the hole" when it was clearly called out. . .Maybe he was hearing some other kind of sound caused by the latent effects of the twirling paperclip. Maybe it was a constant buzz or maybe the chanting bells and horns of Shangri La. Whatever it was, Staff Sergeant Jackson didn't drop. He just stood there. And it makes you wonder. Or more so, it leaves you wondering.

But then something else happens that makes you wonder . . . before you know it, you've got a look on your own face somewhere . . .between Corporal Flower's and Sergeant Jackson's. Or worse. Like the guys in the patrol . . .Anyway, it makes you wonder. And makes you realize what wondering can do. So pretty soon you stop wondering, or at least you try to. Either way it changes your face.

But you never really stop wondering. And sometimes it seems like that is all that is left. You're standing over the lifeless, cold, staring eyes of Johnny the New Guy or you are staring into Tater's helmet. Or you're waiting alone in a hole in utter blackness engulfed in the suffocating stench of rotting death and you're wondering: "Where are they? Why didn't they finish the attack?" Finish us off when they had the element of complete surprise?"

Everything Happened In Vietnam: The Year of the Rat - Kindle $3.99
Everything Happened In Vietnam: The Year Of The Rat - Amazon Print $11.95

My Website: http://www.everythinghappenedinvietnam.com/

All the best,
Bob T. (aka Robert Peter Thompson - USMC 1967-1969)

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 1:03:09 PM PDT
Front Row Lit (www.frontrowlit.com) is always looking to offer free publicity to authors and creative writers. If you're interested in submitting your work simply follow the guidelines found at http://frontrowlit.com/?page_id=503 and we'll do the rest. Thanks.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 3:35:16 PM PDT
Ian Fraser says:
-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-
From Hell

"clever and funny - and very well edited." "I enjoyed the hell out of this book!"
"A Brilliant read" "A monster of a book...Those who like Tolkien will love it..."

'In a future Land, an insane adventure is taking place. When the Queen botches a magic spell, Beezle, a cheerful demon is dispatched from Hell to collect her soul. Instead he falls in love with her daughter. Beezle relinquishes his magical powers, disguises himself as a woman, and sets out to catch the Princess. But can he survive without his magic in a country ravaged by violence and on the brink of war? And what will he do without his favorite wobbly bits?'

From Hell
Something outrageous this way comes...

-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 3:56:52 PM PDT
When Evil Governs When Evil Governs, a tale of corruption in California's San Bernardino Mountains. Dark, drug-fueled, political corruption blooms during the housing bubble. A problem arises finding suitable land, even at the cost of human life.

Jimmy Bancroft, undercover DEA agent, his mission: identify the mountain drug sources; his personal mission: find Bonnie's murderers. A drug cartel found her after he placed her in a safe house. Alone, without love, Bonnie's ghost protects him from relationships. A gentle man with a heart of gold, he helps Jennifer recover from the loss of her activist husband, Geoffrey. Will Jimmy find love again with Jennifer? A hard man, he carries a Buck-knife and a S&W 457. The real danger: steel blue eyes piercing your soul, knowing your next move before you make it. He must survive a drug cartel assassination attempt, a bogus Metro police murder warrant, and a helicopter dog-fight with the sheriff's department.

Bell, CA ranking city officials wrote themselves outlandish paychecks. From Paul Shigley's blog http://www.cp-dr.com/node/2945, "The city of Bell? One simple scheme to take tax money. That's the minor leagues compared to San Bernardino County."
Visit www.brucetprendergast.com

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 4:14:17 PM PDT
DEADLINE
The Scorpion

Two newspaper thrillers. Go behind the headlines!

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 4:17:46 PM PDT
Story Time

over 53- 4 and 5 star reviews! Nominated as the best read of 2011 by the PRG! #91 in paid sales (science fiction) in the Kindle store! now only $2.99~

This review is from: Story Time (Kindle Edition)
Linell Jeppson has written an exciting and remarkable story. It is one that once I picked up and began reading, I could not put down or get out of my head. The action never lets up, and the imagination of this author seems to know no bounds yet is logical and makes sense within the context of the novel. The story is conveyed in an unusual manner, told from several different perspectives in a highly unique framework that is almost as captivating as the story itself. It is immense in scope, playing out against a huge world canvas, but focuses with true elegance on a few chosen survivors. I loved the story for the adventure of it, but also for the way it provoked me into re-examining some of my own closely held beliefs. I loved it and recommend it most fervently.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  1946
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 127 customers

Search Customer Discussions