Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

New Author? New to Amazon? Read this for help and guidance on successful self publishing.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 726-750 of 1848 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 11:16:33 PM PDT
Rose Smith says:
Hello Twinny,
Thanks for this priceless advice. I'm new to Self-Publishing online. Getting on national tv shows like Montel, Rolonda & Mark Walberg were easier than navigating the rules of promoting online. I need all the solid advice I can get. Right now I'm sitting back, reading info like yours and trying to make a list of dont's. My bookThe Smart Freelance Writer: Earn $50,000 a Year Working in Your Pajamas hasn't been listed long. I'm actually reading complementary books, reveiwing them and recommending them to my followers on http://www.paidwritehq.com. Thanks ever so much Twinny, for giving me a starting point on Amazon. Best of luck to both you & me! Rose

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 2:28:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2012 7:26:46 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 3:25:16 AM PDT
Jeff

Or the barns run out of the horses...Actually, I wondered myself.
Appreciate the email advice by the way.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 10:46:30 AM PDT
twinny says:
Glad to see everyone has kept the thread busy in my absence ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 10:51:48 AM PDT
So how was your trip?

(Did you bring me anything? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 11:02:57 AM PDT
twinny says:
It was fantastic thanks, other than being evacuated from the hotel in the middle of the night and having to stand outside in my night dress while the fire men made sure it was a false alarm!

And of course I brought you something! But it's a secret... ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 11:04:16 AM PDT
Good luck shutting us up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 11:12:21 AM PDT
twinny says:
You carry on J.D! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 11:43:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2012 7:26:59 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 12:02:33 PM PDT
Jeff

I would have thought a room would have been better for the forensics department.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 3:56:21 PM PDT
I have made a few rookie mistakes, such as editing myself (though I've had friends and family look over the book to help find typos and inconsistencies) and that is mostly out of financial reasons. I've also obsessed over numbers sold, but I'm coming to terms with that and understand that these things don't happen overnight (except for some notable exceptions, but those are outliers). I'm just mostly excited to be published and look forward to the experience going forward. Thanks for the initial advice in the first post.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 4:27:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2012 7:27:24 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 4:42:15 PM PDT
My younger brother came to visit with a proof copy of his book on paper and that gave me the idea to print it out myself. I will admit that I had to put it aside on more than one occasion because staring at the computer screen for extended periods of time is potentially damaging and there are too many distractions. I also looked through the manuscript four times sifting for typos. I love my story and all, but reading anything four times in a row is tedious work. Sitting in my favorite chair, print copy in hand, a cup of coffee or bottle of beer in the other, and a red pen perched behind my ear sounds like a potential recipe for success. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 4:43:04 PM PDT
Mystery says:
Don't feel bad man, I have done the same mistakes. It happens to everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 11:12:48 PM PDT
Hey Jeff, You're back

I thought you wearn't going to.................
If you are going to write a lot...buy a laser printer and print your own copy to edit

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 3:15:40 AM PDT
I second that.

OR buy a kindle, download a copy of mobipocket creator (free). Save your work as 'filtered html' in Word. Open Mobisoft. On the home page click convert html and look for the file. Click on convert, then at the top choose build, click on build. When it's done, close mobisoft. Open your e-mail programme, compose a blank e-mail to your kindle's e-mail address (you can set this up in manage my kindle - http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle and it's in the Manage Your Kindle box - personal document settings - choose an e-mail address for your kindle enter the e-mail address you'll be sending from and Bob's your uncle).

Then you just add an attachment, whatever you've called the excerpt of your book (it'll have a .prc extension) e-mail it to your own kindle and proof it on there. You can even make notes and then look at it using the view notes option and do the edits straight into the file on your computer so you don't miss anything.

I haven't tried it but I believe you can also do basic editing to word documents this way. But that's risky, in my view as I can imagine there's a fair bit of scope for file corruption.

So there you go. That's a potted summary of what I do, anyway. Most of the info came from the help files on the Kindle, itself and I found excellent instructions on how to use Mobisoft on a forum called Mobilereads.co.uk.

I hope that helps, or gives you some ideas.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 4:46:15 AM PDT
MTM

You are kidding, right..........

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 5:00:27 AM PDT
Phnark, no. But that said, I do do the formatting and production for all my own e-books so I guess I'm used to it. It's a lot easier than trying to convince a wireless HP printer that my computer IS there, not to mention print more than about 16 pages before one of the ink cartridges runs out.

I find reading the kindle is the same as reading printed ink.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 5:16:22 AM PDT
MTM
I also do all my own formatting etc of ebooks, but I do it on my computer (I have a big screen)

The advice was for people who need a print copy to edit

problem with a kindle, is cleaning the red ink off afterwards

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 5:30:13 AM PDT
Phnark, like the red ink joke.

Sorry wasn't clear. I thought you meant that a printed copy is easier to read. I would agree with this but found that I was spending lots of money printing off my work to read and edit.

However, I own a kindle and I discovered that reading my work on the kindle gives the same detachment that reading it on paper does.

So my suggestion was that anyone who had a kindle with an e-ink screen (should have mentioned that) could use it to do this because you can get the same effect of distance by reading it in e-ink as you would on paper.

The kindle 3 has a feature that allows you to highlight text so you can use this to highlight the dodgy bits. You can then add notes next to your highlights using the kindle's integrated keyboard stating that you need to add a comma or rephrase etc.

You end up with the problems highlighted and footnotes. You can then ask the kindle to show all the notes and marks so you can go through them one by one. If you delete each kindle note as you make the change to the document on your computer you don't miss anything.

So basically, you can use your kindle to mark it up and then using the kindle the same way you'd use a marked up printed copy, you make the edits. Only it doesn't cost you a fortunte in paper and ink... and it's easier to carry about.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 5:33:07 AM PDT
mountainmama says:
MTM, I've also heard several people say they have the Kindle 'read' the book to them - typos are real obvious then. I just find the monotone voice so grating that I can't listen long.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 5:48:34 AM PDT
MTM

Fine if you have long pointy fiingers for the keyboard. its still not the same.
I know you can do it, I can do it (not the long pointy fingers bit, but all the rest)
It was for those people who MUST have paper and a red pencil, and it was in response to Jeffie baby's suggestion that you should go to Staples to get it printed..A ream of computer paper costs prctically nothing, so in the end print your own was a solution.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 5:54:02 AM PDT
I've got a printed, annotated manuscript of everything I've done.

It's a great last check before submission, I find.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 6:04:47 AM PDT
Will

The thing I find most gratifying, is the ability to upload to createspace just the inside of the book, then use their proof reader to check it...you can do that as many times as you want before publication. Or, you can download a proof and read it through Adobe Digital Editions. Word shows you the words, but the others will also show you the layout.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 6:06:12 AM PDT
Where does the quill go?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1790 7 days ago
Welcome Reader's To Our Writer's Corner #17 9538 11 minutes ago
Kindle Books Under $5.00 By Indie Author's 8527 14 minutes ago
Kindle Unlimited 6 16 minutes ago
Tweet Book Tweet 1912 27 minutes ago
List all 99 cent science fiction books 1995 37 minutes ago
Yet More Self-Promotion! 2958 44 minutes ago
Kindle book promotions - post yours here 509 45 minutes ago
Have You Published a Book on the Kindle? 9682 46 minutes ago
'Hard' Science Fiction promos only 1628 46 minutes ago
Looking for ebooks $2.99 and under 3969 48 minutes ago
Proudly Promote Your Books Here! 7843 48 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  117
Total posts:  1848
Initial post:  Jun 22, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions