Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Memoir forum

What is your favorite memoir?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 219 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 8, 2013 8:05:22 PM PST
Julie Lee says:
The Glass Castle, and Wild Swan

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 2:11:29 PM PST
My very favorite memoir is by Gerald Durrell, called My Family and Other Animals. This is the famous zoologist who grew up on a Greek Island, so his wonderful humorous depictions of the wildlife, including his family members, is priceless.

The Dream Time: An Account of a Ninth Grade Girl of the 60s

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 10:58:30 PM PST
Jurassic731 says:
TroubleThis is a great memoir of a guy & his friends who have zero respect for anyone (particular those in authority), don't have a care in the world, have no second thoughts about anything. From suspensions to pranks, to restraining orders, girls, to arrets, to drugs, to drinking & to everything in between, it is entertaining cover to cover. The great thing is, is you read through all of these offensive & down right sick & twisted stories & then when you get to the end, you hear from the man he is today & his thoughts on everything he just shared with you. If you are easily offended than this book isn't for you, if you are a fan of someone like Tucker Max or if you are a kid in school who wants full proof methods on how to cheat on tests or ideas on how to cause havoc inside of your school (in my opinion, these guys are the masters) then this book will be right up your alley.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:59:36 PM PST
Be nice says:
Hi Andrea, I would recommend you to read this book..My Journey From Bosnia To America

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 1:52:56 PM PST
If you like The Glass Castle, please read "Change me into Zeus Daughter" and the follow-up "Fierce" by Barbara Robinette Smith. I loved Walls' memoir also and Ms. Smith's is along the same line, except no family money. Unfortunately she died at a fairly young age.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:00:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 8:03:32 AM PST
Mountain Guy says:
My new genre favorite: Candice Walsh just released her recent memoir Licking the Spoon: A Memoir of Food, Family, and Identity. Lacking role models in early life, Candace turned to cookbook authors real and fictitious (Betty Crocker, Martha Stewart, Mollie Katzen, Daniel Boulud, and more) to learn, unlearn, and redefine her own womanhood. Through the lens of food, Walsh recounts her life's journey-from unhappy adolescent to straight-identified wife and mother to divorcée in a same-sex relationship-and she throws in some dishy revelations, a-ha moments, take-home tidbits, and mouth-watering recipes for good measure.

Candace will serve as dream team faculty for Wild Mountain Memoir retreat (2013) along with Amazon's 2012 Best Books (memoir category) memoirist and keynote Cheryl Strayed Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0) along with other edgy acclaimed women memoirists such as Ariel Gore, memoirist of cult classic Whatever, Mom: Hip Mama's Guide to Raising a Teenager with writer EJ Levy memoirist of Amazons: A Love Story with memoirist Suzanne Finnamore memoirist of Split: A Memoir of Divorce and memoirist Theo Pauline Nestor of How to Sleep Alone in a King-Size Bed: A Memoir of Starting Over.

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 2:38:44 PM PDT
Bookgirl says:
The Glass Castle. Loved this book so much!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 4:50:27 PM PDT
You are an absolute sweetheart. You are absolutely right. just making the cover was a chore and the book trailer on youtube was about 20 times harder than it looks. I am not really such a sarcastic person it's just I sorta got fed up with Amazon viewers being so mean spirited. I know not all are and your a perfect example. God bless you Sherrie and thanks so much, it was a monstrous task and not one I care to try again any time soon. But It still remains the most beautiful written display of love I've ever read, and I'm a romance fan for sure. As I'm sure you saw after you found the link here on Amazon, a small group of Moody Blues groupy wanna be women attacked me for simply publishing it, without even reading the sad beautiful story it tells. Those poems fill my heart up, like a balloon that inflates from inside. Not every poem is from out of the universe, but it's the story they all tell collectively that just gripped me and any objective reader that has read ir so far has loved it. I wrote the book fulfilling Rose's dying wish, that she be published and not be an untold story. She died from cancer in 2008.
Thank you again for your compassion and understanding!
Bill Burrell Jr.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 3:29:09 PM PDT
Here's the link, Bill, et al! It sounds fascinating and since my hubby is a fan of the Moody Blues, I
am going to buy it for him.
A Moody Blue Affair-The Poetic Memoirs of Rose Marie Blake -An Untold Story-

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 3:19:17 PM PDT
Susan, perhaps YOU should be ashamed. Have you ever written a book? If you have, you know
how much work goes into it. You would also know that authors have to sell their books themselves
these days. And you should know that Amazon started these discussions just to help authors sell
their work.
Please, do tell us about your book(s). I really would like to know what you've done besides try to
make a writer feel ashamed of feeling pride in his hard and long journey to get a book published.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 3:15:32 PM PDT
Where's the link? If you are going to plug your own work, you might as well add a link so we can take a look.
I am very curious about a memoir written in poems. I was just commenting on a friend's poem today, saying
how so much more can be said in much fewer words with a poem.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 3:13:34 PM PDT
Bill, you might check out the "Have you written a _______" discussions. But, be forewarned, If you copy and paste the same statements, Amazon will remove them. You have to write something different in each one. Or, better yet, copy someone else's words (a reader, of course).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 2:49:06 PM PDT
Sorry you feel that way Susan. I just came across this forum and that's the way I feel. Perhaps if you read it you'd agree but there I go plugging my own book again. Please expound upon the very first occurrence of your rule that "Plugging ones own book is offensive". Please, tell me who made the rule and why? Obviously I know you may say "oh well it's just sooo self serving" to which I would respond, possibly yes, if I had actually READ other memoirs that are equal if not better to my book. But my book isn't a memoir about me it's about Rose. But Just for you Susan, I will hang my head in shame, my arms hung down low in front of me. I will walk around my house swinging both arms from right to left at the same time with my head hung low in shame, Just because your so "offended"! Gosh what a devastating norm I have violated. You know that norm so well and bring it forth with such repudiation and scorn too. Should i pour my dinner on the floor and eat off the floor as well? Please let me know what form of punishment would meet your standards. I feel so terrible and am so sorry Susan. Head hung low, arms swinging from side to side as I walk. Woe is me, I'm ashamed I haven't yet read a memoir more beautiful than one written about in my book, "A Moody Blue Affair"- The Poetic memoirs of Rose Marie Blake, An Untold Story"! I repent in sack cloth, dust and ashes. I may even eat some of the ashes if you feel it will help purge me of my shame. I also feel I should do more than walk with my head hung low, I should walk slumped over as well to add to the shame when i swing my arms from right to left. Please let me know when you forgive me ok Susan. Hug's and kisses, sweety.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 2:08:54 PM PDT
Plugging your own book is offensive. You should be ashamed.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 2:19:54 PM PDT
Honestly, my favorite memoir is "A Moody Blue Affair"- The Poetic memoirs of Rose Marie Blake, An Untold Story". It's the most interesting, unique collection of poems and they tell one of the most beautiful stories and displays of love I've ever read.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 9:35:22 AM PDT
E says:
Favorite memoir at the moment is When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams, especially the audiobook. Williams describes how she, as a young woman raised in a Mormon household, came to become a feminist and an activist. More broadly, the book is about the difficulty and importance of finding your own unique voice, and so hearing it read by the author in the audiobook is a real treat. You can buy the hard copy or download the audio book here: When Women Were Birds: Fifty-four Variations on Voice [Hardcover], if you're interested...

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 11:45:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 31, 2012 4:30:12 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 2:49:11 PM PDT
Dean Ferraro says:
I recommend reading "John's Leukemia Survival Story." The memoir is written by my father and it chronicles his battle against cancer (acute myeloid leukemia).
The first time I read it I cried, I laughed, I couldn't put it down. I wish I could write about it as well as some of the reviewers did.
John's Leukemia Survival Story

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 8:20:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 17, 2012 8:23:14 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 1:51:21 PM PDT
With everything in the news today about child molesters, the Jerry Sandusky trial and the ongoing scandals within the Catholic Church, I've recently gotten a book published that you might find very topical. It will help anyone who's interested to understand how this kind of thing continues to happen. It will also give you insight into the affect this type of abuse has on someone that young. It's called "Unraveling Charlie" and has already gotten a couple of good reviews on Amazon.
If you are interested please go to my website where you can read some sample chapters.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 1:25:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 1:29:27 AM PDT
better media says:
Thanks for letting us get the word out:

My friend Carolyn Wing Greenlee and her mother Kathleen Kong Wing wrote Kathleen's memoir Inside the Oy Quong Laundry in 1995. I just recently had it converted to a Kindle edition from paperback. If you're an Amazon Prime member with a Kindle reader you can borrow it for free. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but you guys probably do.

About the memoir: "It was not easy being a young Chinese girl growing up in California during the 1920s and 30s. Kathleen not only had to survive the prevailing hostility of the times, she also had to endure being "a worthless female" working in her family's laundry and her mother's suspicion of anything not Chinese.

Because Kathleen wanted her family to enjoy the benefits of American life, she chose to violate certain expectations of filial obedience. This brought on her mother's wrath, but her father's gentle understanding.

Her search for worth, the struggle for acceptance, the awkwardness of growing into womanhood, and her gracious acceptance of those ugly aspects of life which can transform us into people of dignity, character, and grace are captured here, Inside the Oy Quong Laundry."
Thanks. If you read it, I hope you enjoy it and leave some positive comments. It truly is my favorite memoir.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 9:39:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2012 9:41:05 AM PDT
Try my new book, The Italian Thing. It is my adventures and misadventures exploring my heritage. I have received great reviews so far. Visit my website

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 5:08:15 AM PDT
BJS says:
Try 21st Century Guide to Casual Sex. It's hilarious and heartbreaking if you don't mind a little bawdy sex, drugs and alcohol.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:06:42 PM PDT
jenwilson says:
I wrote Running Away to Home ... memoir, genealogy, travel. Lotsa fun there!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 6:30:34 AM PDT
B. Fern says:
Hi Andrea,
The gold standard, as you probably already know, is J. Walls "The Glass Castle". That one broke my heart, took my by the throat and didn't let go. This may seem like a shameless plug, but my wife's memoir is very good, almost on the level of Walls. (Songs of My Families) I'm biased, of course, but I think it's really quite good.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Memoir forum (160 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
memoirs by writers and artists 149 Jul 30, 2014
Coming-of-Age Memoir Source 17 Jun 15, 2013
Memoir has sold over 3000 copies this month. 28 May 28, 2013
Wolfhilde's Hitler Youth Diary 1939-1946 - New Book 1 Mar 2, 2013
Memoir: LeavingWayne 0 Feb 24, 2013
When a memoir blends with fiction 84 Feb 21, 2013
What is your favorite memoir? 218 Feb 8, 2013
Memoir regret?? 19 Jan 28, 2013
Please review my book. 1 Jan 12, 2013
drug memoirs 144 Jan 7, 2013
Most satisfying memoirs? 153 Dec 23, 2012
Can't remember the title, grrr! Help? 3 Dec 19, 2012

This discussion

Discussion in:  Memoir forum
Participants:  153
Total posts:  219
Initial post:  Dec 6, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions