Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 145 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 4:52:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 4:54:36 AM PST
Charles says:
The Privileged Addict. New on Amazon

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 11:02:02 PM PST
Jurassic731 says:
Trouble Covers some alcohol & marijuana addiction to the point where these guys were pimping girls to support their drug habit

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:45:53 PM PST
Booklover says:
Never Give in to Fear: Laughing All the Way Up From Rock Bottom
Never Give In to Fear: Laughing All The Way Up from Rock Bottom by Marti MacGibbon is a great read about a woman who fell into and returned from the abyss.
In addition to exceptionally high reviews from Kirkus and Clarion, the book has 24 of 26 five star reviews (and 2 four star) from Amazon customers.
Check the book's description; read from the "see inside" feature. And see for yourself. Good story. Well written.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 2:57:22 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 2, 2012 3:05:07 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 2:54:00 PM PDT
Love Song of a Flower Child: A Story of Redemption in the Drop-Out Days; the Tune-In, Turn-On Times of Berkeley and Big Sur

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 10:22:32 PM PDT
Crystal Clean

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 4:36:29 AM PDT
Guido51 says:
Drugs are only a minor theme in the story, but you may find Adytum, by Guido interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 3:52:22 PM PDT
Check out Karla Klear Sky

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 6:17:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 6:19:59 PM PDT
SS says:
Check out Closet Full of Coke: A Diary of A Teenage Drug Queen it's a tragic tale of drug dealers in the 80s.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 4:23:31 AM PDT
Chris Thrall says:
Hi Friends.

I invite you to read my memoir. It's about the time I left the Marines and ended up in psychosis from drug addiction and working for the Hong Kong triads - as you do! Have a read of the reviews. Get in touch!

Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent into Drug Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 11:18:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 29, 2012 2:12:06 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 1:18:03 AM PDT
My Memoir rock my world. check it out!

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 10:56:34 PM PDT
Chris Thrall says:
EATING SMOKE: One Man's Decent into Drug Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland

With 12,000 fans, Eating Smoke is the most popular pre-release book on Facebook (/eatingsmoke) and already an Amazon bestseller in three classes.

"Chris Thrall left the Royal Marines to find fortune in Hong Kong. Sacked from a bizarre series of jobs, he found himself homeless, hooked on crystal methamphetamine and working for the 14K, Hong Kong's largest crime family, as a doorman in the Wan Chai red-light district. Dealing with violence, psychosis and the `Foreign Triad' - a secretive expat clique that unbeknown to the world works hand-in-hand with the Chinese syndicates - he had to survive in the world's most unforgiving city, addicted to the world's most dangerous drug..."

Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent into Drug Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 5:11:37 PM PDT
Julie H. says:
I released this a couple of months ago. People seem to like it. Like most books I've either written or read about drug abuse and addiction, it comes down to:
Fun. Fun with consequences. Then consequences.

The book's about my five years in L.A. as a dark-haired, beautiful actress-obsessed, successful film executive turned demented speed addict turned prosperous identity thief turned jail inmate turned person in recovery (A.A. and therapy). It's got a lot of details about crime, jail and really successful gay meth drug dealers. Everybody ends up in jail, as a fireman, into a career criminal, as a well-off B-movie actress, an author/foodie and a criminal defense lawyer. It's pretty interesting.

Diminished Capacity: a memoir about a girl consumed by her addictions

:)

Posted on May 10, 2011 3:18:32 AM PDT
D. Monroe says:
My memoir has lots of drugs and alcohol in it. It's what happens when you go through life with untreated ADD/ADHD. It also tells stories about love, crime, child abuse and how I tried to single handedly defeat abusers on the internet.

It's a pretty good read if I do say so myself. *smile*

Available in paperback and Kindle

How I Built My House With No Doors

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 12:34:08 PM PDT
Sam says:
Try LOSING JONATHAN by Robert and Linda Waxler

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 11:25:38 AM PDT
Roland says:
Sherry and Narcotics - not a memoir per se, but based on a true story and reads like a memoir. It's amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 10:22:00 AM PDT
Wherever The Wind Will Blow It may be purchased from Amazon for $9.99

SYNOPSIS

"Wherever The Wind Will Blow It" is lovingly dedicated to her husband, Kurt Wolf - a live Sound Engineer, whose life & early career inspired this novel and is now available for purchase on KINDLE via Amazon (See below for link to purchase it)....

"Wherever the Wind Will Blow It" boldly speaks the truth about the rock club music industry in the 1980s, and of one very special relationship between two people who faced the consequences of their choices. The book opens with Maria Iossa leaving her home in Los Angeles to begin a new life in Oregon where she abandons her strict moral upbringing and better judgment for the wild, and sometimes dangerous, world of Stephan Ludwig.

The reader travels with Maria & Stephan on rock & roll road trips, through romps in the lush Pacific Northwest landscape & through their many trials and tribulations. From love at first sight to homelessness, addiction, illness, near death experience & loss, Maria & Stephan live the hard life of a rock & roll marriage. Wherever The Wind Will Blow It guides the reader with courage & affection on a breathtaking musical tour of love, loyalty & perseverance.
The property is a completed manuscript of 675 pages within thirty-five chapters, including synopsis, biography & lead-in pages.

AUTHOR'S WEBSITE

http://www.MySpace.com/SusannaRWolf_AuthorWriter

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 5:53:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 2, 2011 8:31:14 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 3:23:00 PM PDT
Bobby DeVito says:
BURNED - Living Through the 80s and 90s as a Rock Guitarist

ah yes........memoirs about drug use :-)

My book "BURNED -- Living Through the 80s and 90s as a Rock Guitarist" might interest anyone who digs rock and roll stories from the road.

I have priced this book at only 99 cents, and 10% of the proceeds are going to MUSICARES, the Grammy foundation that helped me when I needed it, and continues to help musicians worldwide.

Please give my book a read, and review it if you get the chance! Thank you :-)

here's a snippet from a review of my book:

And although it may be no surprise that the story includes the stereotypical lifestyle excesses ultimately leading to rehab, the level of humor and lust for life Bobby injects throughout makes it impossible put down... Even in the roughest parts.

Unlike similar books by rock superstar legends, this one wasn't written by or for one of those. But DeVito's bio is about being so close to legendary that you can taste it-- sometimes tasting too much.

Having read Clapton's bio, "Up & Down With The Rolling Stones", "Miles" and Aerosmith's "Walk this Way" I can honestly say this book was the fastest paced of all the above. And Bobby's life experiences from a nomadic childhood to touring Italy with Texas Bluesman Sherman Robertson, to studying Aleister Crowley, to living & playing on the Santa Monica Pier, to a mental hospital along with some intense spiritual epiphanies are as interesting and compelling as the best of 'em. And the humor throughout reveals an artist willing to experience a broad spectrum of living despite the costs.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011 3:37:44 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 2, 2011 8:33:20 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 9:11:40 AM PST
Amy Parnell says:
My husband's book "Facing the Dragon - How a Desperate Act Pulled One Addict Out of Methamphetamine Hell" was released on Dec. 1, 2010. It's available on through Amazon.com and on Kindle. It inlcludes a full color photo section.

Here's the description:
After more than twenty-three years addicted to methamphetamine and otherdrugs, David Parnell put an SKS assault rifle under his chin and pulled the trigger.The blast took off half his face, yet somehow he survived. They called him the 'miracle man' at the Nashville hospital where he'd been pronounced clinically dead. Following an afterlife experience where he briefly experienced hell, David woke up in the hospital, and he was changed forever, both physically and emotionally. In Facing the Dragon, you will witness the slow, agonizing metamorphosis of a good-looking high-school athlete into a violent, drug-dealing, psychotic wife-beater whose children were terrified of him. In graphic detail, you'll relive his suicide attempts and then walk alongside him as he endures countless surgeries to reconstruct his decimated face and learns how to cope with his hideous disfigurement. Now thirty-nine, Parnell is clean and sober and is making the most of the second chance he's been given, bringing his message about the dangers of meth and other drugs to schools, prisons, churches, and antidrug organizations around the world as a full-time lecturer. By experiencing the nightmare of his life-and his brief glimpse of hell-you will find hope and healing when facing your own life-threatening dragons.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2011 6:47:51 PM PST
michael926 says:
Buried Alive in the Blues,about Janis Joplin . older title but still one of the best that i've ever read. hang in sister

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 4:59:36 PM PST
Olwyn Conrau says:
The importance of being cool - by Olwyn Conrau. Released only a few months ago. The Importance of Being Cool

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2011 4:47:22 PM PST
Yes, you can download the Kindle app for your PC at this address: http://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/pc/download

Then you can purchase the book on amazon and send it to the Kindle app on your PC. If you have any trouble or need more help, just ask.

Thanks,
-Ashly
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Memoir forum (160 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
memoirs by writers and artists 149 Jul 30, 2014
Coming-of-Age Memoir Source 17 Jun 15, 2013
Memoir has sold over 3000 copies this month. 28 May 28, 2013
Wolfhilde's Hitler Youth Diary 1939-1946 - New Book 1 Mar 2, 2013
Memoir: LeavingWayne 0 Feb 24, 2013
When a memoir blends with fiction 84 Feb 21, 2013
What is your favorite memoir? 218 Feb 8, 2013
Memoir regret?? 19 Jan 28, 2013
Please review my book. 1 Jan 12, 2013
drug memoirs 144 Jan 7, 2013
Most satisfying memoirs? 153 Dec 23, 2012
Can't remember the title, grrr! Help? 3 Dec 19, 2012

This discussion

Discussion in:  Memoir forum
Participants:  81
Total posts:  145
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions