Customer Discussions > Memoir forum

What is your favorite memoir?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 219 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2010 10:58:46 AM PDT
Hello Andrea,
Like the Weekend Chef below, I'm an author just published in Britain promoting my narrative memoir "Caribbean Chemistry" to readers who like interesting and real-life stories. It's set in the Caribbean, on St. Kitts, Nevis, Antigua, Barbados, and Trinidad in the post-war period, 1940-1960. It's a warm and happy book about the mischief a growing boy got up to, and how he moved from the coconut trees on a pinprick of an island to sitting in Nixon's chair in the White House. Phillip Lopate was kind enough to give this endorsement: "A steadily engrossing and capivating picture of a life and a place. We are in Christopher Vanier's debt for these enthralling tales." Please let me know how you like it.
Caribbean Chemistry: Tales from St. Kitts

Posted on May 17, 2010 3:08:03 PM PDT
Kitten says:
"An Unquiet Mind" by Kay Redfield Jamison. This is the definitive bipolar memoir. Her brutal honesty and her lyrical writing combined with her knowledge as a psychologist make for an amazing book I have read many times over. I also liked "Madness: A Bipolar Life" by Marya Hornbacher, and "Wasted" by the same author. She wrote Wasted, about her battles with eating disorders, while she was not yet diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I read Wasted and then Madness, and the puzzle of her eating disorder suddenly made a bit more sense.

Posted on May 21, 2010 4:39:42 AM PDT
Ms. C. Myers says:
Tweaking the Dream: A Crystal Meth True Story
For anyone who is interested in addiction memoirs, my true story about my descent into crystal meth addiction 'Tweaking the Dream' is available on amazon. My addiction was in LA where I got into a fair amount of scrapes and trouble, but I now live back in London in the UK. Why did I write it?- I think I wanted to create something positive from what was an inherently negative, life-destroying experience. If my experience can open up discussion, raise awareness about drugs and possible addictions, put off youth from going further along the 'experimentation' route then it is a good book. It is certainly not literary, but real and sincere.

Posted on May 21, 2010 3:35:59 PM PDT
William Shatners', "Up 'Til Now." Funny, sad, and tremendously entertaining.

Saving Grace at Guantanamo Bay: A Memoir of a Citizen Warrior

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2010 8:56:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2010 8:59:58 PM PDT
Bookgirl says:
"The Glass Castle" by Jeanette Walls". Couldn't stop thinking about it for months after reading it.l

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2010 12:40:31 PM PDT
Mary, which one is that? You don't say the name!
Sherrie

Posted on May 28, 2010 3:48:02 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2011 5:47:59 AM PST]

Posted on May 30, 2010 2:42:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 30, 2010 11:38:06 AM PST]

Posted on May 31, 2010 3:08:15 PM PDT
S. Apel says:
The two memoirs by Paul Monette: Borrowed Time, An AIDS Memoir, and Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2010 10:32:51 AM PDT
That was an amazing book, as was her follow-up book, "Half-Broke Horses", the story of Walls' grandmother's life. She's truly a gifted story-teller -- able to find humor in what I would consider a tragic life.

Posted on Jun 2, 2010 1:00:44 PM PDT
I don't know about "best," but it's right up there: William Shatner's "Up 'til Now." Funny, touching, sentimental, honest, everything you hoped it would be and much more. A very fulfilling read.

Now I am reading Carl Reiner's "My Anecdotal Life: A Memoir." It is a lot of fun. It is also facinating, hearing about how some of the most beloved early sitcoms came to be, and also about the people who influenced him and who he influenced.

Finally, trolling or not, I wrote a memoir that I'm quite proud of about my time in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, as the ranking Army Medical Department officer from February to June 2002. It is the real sotry of detention and medical duty at Gitmo, but it is also a love story, and tells what it's like for a husband/father to be separated from his family, and what it's like coming home after a stressful tour of duty taking care of people who would like nothing better than to kill you.

I suppose that's why I seek out the lighter side of memoirs . . . if you know of any good one's by comedians, please let me know!

Best wishes!

Saving Grace at Guantanamo Bay: A Memoir of a Citizen Warrior

Posted on Jul 12, 2010 4:42:42 PM PDT
Elisa says:
"Dear Felice
~a personal memoir of retribution dedicated to the mother of all stepmothers"
by L.A.

It's a game of win or lose.
It's a tale of truth or dare.
And I dare to tell the truth.
May the best woman win.

GAME ON!

"In our opinion, the work is unacceptable and unsatisfactory for publication."
~ a direct quote by a nationally-renowned, leading publishing company.

L. A. is the author of 5 published works and is a full-time workaholic in Westchester & Putnam County, NY. She resides in a scenic hamlet nestled in the outskirts of New York with her husband and pet rabbit and continues to pursue her love and passion of writing. In her spare time, she enjoys her all-time favorite hobbies of fishing and hiking...and hopes to someday laugh all the way to the bank...HA-HA-HEE-HEE-HO-HO! Dear Felice: ~a personal memoir of retribution dedicated to the mother of all stepmothers

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 9:47:32 AM PDT
Emily Palm says:
It's a tossup between anything by David Sedaris (more anecdotal nonfiction than memoir, really) and Cathie Beck's "Cheap Cabernet: A Friendship."

The latter leaves you with more of a sense of purpose and perspective; all while still being laugh-out-loud funny with her wit.
Cheap Cabernet: A Friendship

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 12:35:11 PM PDT
the Personal Memoirs of U S Grant

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 9:14:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 15, 2010 9:16:36 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 9:15:41 PM PDT
The house at sugar beach, by Helene Cooper

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 9:17:36 PM PDT
Infidel was a good read also

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2010 10:08:42 PM PDT
Someone else just told me that. Who is the author of "infidel"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 9:33:48 AM PDT
Ther author of Infidel, Ayaan Hirsi Ali...enjoy

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 11:40:48 AM PDT
Yes, I loved that one too. It's incredible what happened to him and his family. And the ending is just too much.

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 1:58:55 PM PDT
Too Fat To Fish- Artie Lange

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 12:41:57 PM PDT
Billy Ng says:
Reviews for Witnessing To Dracula : A Memoir of Ministry In Romania by Billy Ng
Published late September 2010.
Amazon.com Reviews:
5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Christian book I have ever read!, October 21, 2010
By Emanuel K. Melton - See all my reviews

This review is from: Witnessing to Dracula (Paperback)
Billy recently visited our church in central NY and before he began he mentioned his book and how good it was. I wasn't planning on buying a copy until he said he would sow a percentage into a another ministry. I figured I would get the book if for nothing else to help Billy and the ministry he would sow into. I started reading it immediately and I couldn't believe how funny it was! Most Christian books are very reserved and they may have a laugh or two in them, but this was book was a riot! It showed the ups and downs of a stranger in a strange land doing God's work. He went through so much before he even got his church started that if it were me I would have given up. His trust in God and the love he had for the people were astonishing. I would definitely recommend this book to any one whether they be Christian or not. I wish more books had this sense of fun on a matter that's so serious!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, October 5, 2010
By Diane Roberts - See all my reviews

This book tells you "what no one tells you about being a missionary". The issues of politics, finances, culture, religion,health care and history of Romania are all addressed in this book. If you had text books on these subjects they would be boring but Billy Ng makes this such an easy, enjoyable read, you fly through the book. Definitely worth buying .

5.0 out of 5 stars Culture Shock, September 29, 2010
By Bill Banuchi - See all my reviews

Culture shock is the phrase that comes to mind in trying to summarize my impressions reading this book. Billy Ng, by all natural measures, the least likely candidate to be chosen to minister to Romanians, demonstrates what one man can do who is totally committed to the cause of Christ in a nation devastated by Communism. This should be required reading for students of global studies, and especially for anyone considering a calling to the mission field. Hurry up, Billy, with Part 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, September 14, 2010
By Jon Forster - See all my reviews

This book is amazing! It is an incredible look into a true life story of a man who gave up many of his personal comforts and luxury's to fulfill a higher calling. This book inspires to live beyond yourself and to remain faithful to all that God has called you to accomplish no matter how rocky the road may be. This book should be made into a movie! Reading this book will change your life as you journey with the author through the historic land of Romania. Encountering many obstacles, challenges, prejudices and even the true history of Count Dracula! "Witnessing To Dracula" is an extremely enjoyable and entertaining book. Well written and action packed I highly recommend it!

Reviews at Witnessingtodracula facebook page:
Roxanne Stoneburg What an aweseome story. Go Billy, go! Keep showing God's love!
John Joseph Bolos I was very inspired and challenged by Billys book. Its a must read for anyone wanting to know what it takes to go out in the field. Also it is so interesting no matter your views and theology that you cant put it down. I am serious I hate reading sorry to say but this book is one that cant be put down. Looking forward to part two Billy.
Joann Jansen What a fabulous book! I started it and finished it in a 24 hour period of time!! Just couldn't put it down! Some of the stories are just crazy! I'm glad you finally put them all on paper. Can't wait to read more! Love you guys! Joann :) xoxo
Chris Golden This book will absolutely make you analyze your own walk with God. How would you react to each situation Billy finds himself in? What was my initial response after finishing the book? "Lord, what am I doing? What can I do? What should I be doing? What is your will for me?" It's so easy to be lazy and spoiled when livin...g in more developed societies. There's less of a feeling of a need for God's presence, let alone a continual walk in His will. After reading Witnessing to Dracula, one can't help but feel at least a little bit ashamed for whining to God. This book will push you to get out of your own way, stop complaining, and get on with what God has called you to do. A true inspiration, I highly recommend this book to anyone. Bring on book 2!!!
Sarah Stanziola Golden i completely agree!!! the book was absolutely amazing and i couldn't put it down!!! billy i don't know how you did it haha i think i would have left after like the third chapter haha you are a great man of God and an inspiration to me!!! i find myself questioning what can i do to help others and what does God want from me. its crazy how spoiled America is and how much we have to be thankful for. i cant wait till u write book 2 and thank you for sharing your stories with us!!! love u and cant wait to see u again!!!

Patty Fischer Gessner Received my book on Sunday, started it on Monday, finished it today (Tuesday). Laura, you told me I wouldn't be disappointed, and you were so right !! Now, I can't wait till book II comes out !! Congratulations, Billy, a best seller for sure !!

Harriet Martha Sherman-Wyatt Harriet Wyatt...a MUST READ BOOK. As I laid this book on my desk (having already begin aother book) I thought "Oh well, just the first chapter - than I'll finish it when I've done with the present book. 24 hours later I had finished reading "Witnessing to Dracula". Every chapter leaves a desire to read on - you will... laugh in one chapter while another chapter leaves you with a tear in your eyes. Job well done, Billy. Can't wait for the sequel.

Allison Sadrianna This is a fantastic book! If I didn't know the author the stories would be unbelievable! CHECK IT OUT! - This book will shake you up and test your faith. :D AWESOME book!

Witnessing to Dracula

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 8:06:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2010 8:06:21 PM PST
The last memoir I read was the wonderful San Miguel de Allende, Mexico: Memoir of a Sensual Quest for Spiritual Healing by Rick Skwiot. Drama, love, death and redemption- they are all there. It's a pleasure to read it.
Gabriela
Kafka's House

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 9:04:19 AM PST
My favorite memoir to date is "Waiting for Snow in Havana" by Carlos Eire. Despite our differing politics, Eire's story has me from beginning to end. The beginning is especially fascinating as Eire's father believes they are descendents of Marie Antoinette and Eire's own imagination as a child make the Revolution and all that is happening seem like magic realism.
I recommend this book to anyone who likes to have fun while learning history from the perspective of the everyday man.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 3:32:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2010 3:33:37 PM PST
D. Duarte says:
Dori Decamillis,

Most people look down on self-promotion but your book "The Freeway" looks interesting, and I'll give it a shot.

I'm a highway engineer and a screenwriter, and road movies are my favorite genre, and yours looks intriguing. I hope it is :-)

PS--I love your artwork too, on the back cover, you're quite a talented artist.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Memoir forum (160 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
memoirs by writers and artists 149 Jul 30, 2014
Coming-of-Age Memoir Source 17 Jun 15, 2013
Memoir has sold over 3000 copies this month. 28 May 28, 2013
Wolfhilde's Hitler Youth Diary 1939-1946 - New Book 1 Mar 2, 2013
Memoir: LeavingWayne 0 Feb 24, 2013
When a memoir blends with fiction 84 Feb 21, 2013
What is your favorite memoir? 218 Feb 8, 2013
Memoir regret?? 19 Jan 28, 2013
Please review my book. 1 Jan 12, 2013
drug memoirs 144 Jan 7, 2013
Most satisfying memoirs? 153 Dec 23, 2012
Can't remember the title, grrr! Help? 3 Dec 19, 2012

This discussion

Discussion in:  Memoir forum
Participants:  153
Total posts:  219
Initial post:  Dec 6, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions