What is your favorite memoir?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 219 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 10, 2010 3:34:21 PM PST
D. Duarte says:
Michael Crichton's "Travels" is my favorite memoir

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 6:25:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2010 6:34:55 PM PST
I enjoyed Gilda Radner's memoir, "It's Always Something." I was inspired to write my memoir after reading her book while I was on a plane to England. I published, "A Burden of Silence: My Mother's Battle with AIDS." A Burden of Silence: My Mother's Battle with AIDS My elderly mother was transfused with HIV contaminated blood while undergoing cardiac surgery. She suffered in silence because of the stigma associated with AIDS. I used some of Gilda Radner's ways of helping my mother cope with this vicious virus. These books are both about love and compassion. I think people should write their own memoir if they want to share their life with others.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 6:27:21 PM PST
I enjoyed Gilda Radner's memoir,IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING I was inspired to write my memoir after reading her book while I was on a plane to England. I published, "A Burden of Silence: My Mother's Battle with AIDS." A Burden of Silence: My Mother's Battle with AIDS

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 7:58:35 PM PST
Hi Nancy,
Like you say on your radar, AIDS seems to have fallen of the radar. After 20 years of AIDS activism, I had totally forgotten about AIDS. Then on Monday, I found a book by a doctor who worked at the hospital my parents go to in Johnson City, TN. It starts out with their first AIDS patient, a young man who returns home to die. The hospital personnel breath a sigh of relief after he dies, thinking that this is a big city disease. I haven't read the rest, but I can already guess that they have many more cases after this one.
Then I read the post tonight about your book.
Strange how when something comes back to you that it suddenly shows up more than once. Makes me wonder what's happening these days in terms of AIDS. Of course, I know that Africa has many AIDS orphans. But, it's been so quiet here, you would think that AIDS has all but been eradicated.
Let us know how the book is doing.
All the best to you,
Sherrie

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 8:04:02 PM PST
I got one Andrea. It use to be

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 10:21:11 AM PST
Lynne Burns says:
my alltime favorite is Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 10:53:38 AM PST
Hey Beauty Anon, It use(d) to be . . . what?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 10:55:45 AM PST
Never been a Chrichton fan, but yes, I loved that one too. ;-) <3

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 3:04:57 PM PST
Hi Sherrie,
Thanks for writing. You are right. For some reason, AIDS has simply fallen off the radar screen in America. Before 9/11, we used to talk more about HIV/AIDS. It's a topic that people don't like to discuss. Maybe they feel it won't happen to them. AIDS doesn't discriminate and we shouldn't discriminate against people with AIDS.

Young people between the ages of 15-24 account for an estimated 45 percent of new HIV infections. I think it's so important for parents to talk to their children about HIV/AIDS. More importantly, the schools must take an active role in educating young people about this devastating disease. I've spoken in high schools about my experience in helping my dear mother cope with AIDS. She felt so lonely. Usually, the NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt is on display when I speak to these teenagers. They can see the names and ages of people who have died from AIDS. It's a wake-up call to them.

AIDS hasn't gone away in America. We do have more effective medication now to help people live longer lives. Still, people are being infected with HIV daily in America. This must stop. AIDS is a preventable disease. We have the tools to stop it in its tracks.

It disturbs me that not enough AIDS information is on television or in newspapers. Notice the lack of movies about people living with HIV/AIDS. I'm working on a screenplay for a movie for my book, "A Burden of Silence: My Mother's Battle with AIDS." Maybe producers will realize the necessity of humanizing AIDS by making more films. The bottom line is we need more education for people of all ages. Melinda Gates (Bill Gate's wife) stated at the International AIDS Conference in Toronto that it is important for people to talk about AIDS to each other. Also, I believe that by not talking about AIDS, it tends to get ignored. We can't let that happen.

World AIDS Day is December 1. I hope there are TV shows about HIV/AIDS to help educate people of all ages, so we can prevent further infections and eradicate the stigma associated with this virus. I haven't seen much television coverage in the past few years. Many people think it's not an issue anymore. They are wrong. We can't lose more people to AIDS related illnesses. Too many babies, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, mothers, fathers and grandparents have lost their lives to AIDS. It doesn't target just one segment of society.

History will judge us on how we reacted to the AIDS pandemic. So far it won't judge us kindly. We don't want our children coming to us saying, "Why didn't you tell me all the facts about AIDS? Maybe it will be too late for some. Let's all act up on World AIDS Day and everyday to talk to someone about HIV/ AIDS. We must end this pandemic that has wiped out millions of people worldwide. Thank you again for responding to my post. You asked about my book. Many people have been purchasing the book. It's not just a book about an elderly woman battling AIDS, but also a love story between a daughter and her dying mother.
Warm wishes,
Nancy
A Burden of Silence: My Mother's Battle with AIDS

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 12:53:22 PM PST
Shogo Onoe says:
Thanks for giving me the opportunities to introduce my book.
I wrote Liberation, which is an autobiographical writing. Liberation is the confession of the man who just wants to express himself in earnest, and who simply wants to tell the truth from the depth of his heart. It is a story of the process of a man liberating himself from the place where he does not want to belong so that he can start living his own life in his own sweet way. This book is for my fellow seekers who believe in life and individualism unconditionally and feel that life gives us full of surprises when one follows his destiny relentlessly.

My website: http://www.shogoliberation.com/
Liberation

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 1:59:34 PM PST
Carol Ryan says:
I love memoirs too. 'Out of Africa', 'The Glass Castle' are two of my favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 2:44:56 PM PST
Hey D. Duerte! That is one of my favorites too, despite not being a Chrichton fan. The man understood the human psyche in all it's many forms!

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 1:00:42 AM PST
D. Duarte says:
Sherrie R. Mranda,

Michael Crichton's "Travels" proves that truth is stranger (and more entertaining) than fiction!

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 7:17:26 AM PST
My favorite memoir is: Survivor: One Man's Battle with HIV, Hemophilia, and Hepatitis C

Of course I am a hair biased ... *wink*

Here's a description of my memoir:

On January 3, 1987, teenager Vaughn Ripley receives what seems to be a death sentence. A lifelong hemophiliac, he has been infused with tainted blood and is found to be HIV+. In this memoir, Ripley not only recounts his life living with severe physical ailments, but also details his fight to live. Survivor follows him as he receives his fateful news and examines how this single piece of information pushes the innocent boy headlong into a hard life of drugs and alcohol. After several years and many near-death incidents, he finally overcomes the drug addiction and tries to create some semblance of life out of the resulting carnage. He describes how he turned his life around to become a professional database administrator, how hemophilia contributed to his tendency toward being an adrenaline junkie, and how medical advances allowed Ripley and his wife to become parents. His story is one of courage and tenacity, as he demonstrates the will to face the world head-on and overcome the physical ailments in order to lead an active, productive, and positive life.

Thanks, and please let me know what you think of my book!

-Vaughn
http://vaughnripley.com

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 2:06:11 PM PST
Hey Vaughn,
Your story sounds fascinating.
Glad you are still here to tell us about your story. So, what is your day job? I see you play the guitar; are you in a band?
Do you have a blog? Are you on Facebook? Twitter? I can't friend YOU on FB (until I can get in and delete a bunch of "likes"), but I CAN accept your request for friendship. Hope to see you again in Cyberspace. Or maybe even the real world. Where are you located these days? Are you doing any book tours?
All the best to you,
Sherrie Miranda

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 9:24:57 PM PST
Carol Ryan says:
I also love Kiyo's Story AKA Dandelion Through The Crack by Kiyo Sato. About the an amazing family during WW2.

Also, Pamela Master's The Mushroom Years--about being in a Japanese consentration camp in China (for non-asians).

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 8:12:31 PM PST
what? says:
Roger Elliott's memoir What "Back Then" Was Like: and stories passed on by ancestors
It's like sitting on the front porch reminiscing about the good ole days and some not-so-good. Sports, family, heritage, ghost story, a lot like the Walton's. I'd especially recommend it for Christmas presents for older people who like to rekindle the past through stories.

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 8:21:36 PM PST
what? says:
Roger C. Elliott's memoir. What "Back Then" Was Like and stories passed on by ancestors
sports stories, family stories, ghost story, reminiscing. Like sitting on the front porch and passing time. Especially recommended for Christmas stories. Old time Christmases, cutting family tree, cold old house, and love felt by poor family. Much like the Waltons

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 5:20:27 PM PST
George Molho says:
"Scarred, a memoir," Scarred: A Memoir
Hi my name is George Molho, thank you for allowing me to share information about my book.
I am George Molho and I recently released "Scarred, a memoir,"
Experience the power childhood trauma has on life choices. One of the first kidnap survivor to share his scars and reveal the survivor's road to freedom. Scarred is for everyone who is searching for what they have lost somewhere along the way and are ready to take hold of the reigns and reclaim ownership of their life.
"I empower victims to become victors on the survivors road to freedom."
Take a moment to read the first line of Scarred, a memoir, Chapter One, Silence is a Sound... "My wrists were wrapped in strips of sheared towels and bound together by chicken wire. Chill penetrated my aching shoulder blades. I was seven years old, trapped in a basement and already used to pain."

Check out Scarred, a memoir on Amazon.com and go to my website www.georgemolho.com to read the frist chapter and sign up for our updates.

I hope this message finds you well and thank you for the posting. May you have a great day and an even grander week!
Scarred: A Memoir

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 7:30:20 AM PST
KFB says:
Out of Step, by Sidney Hook

A Backward Glance, by Edith Wharton

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 12:55:33 AM PST
S. Stathatos says:
I would like to offer you a recommendation of a book with a powerful message that should be heard. The story is about child abuse and overcoming the obstacles that occur early in life, and how it shapes us as adults. Especially with all the suffering you have gone through yourself, I think this story will touch you. In 1978, seven-year-old George Molho was kidnapped by his own father. For a year, he survived mental and physical abuse to the point of torture. He found it easier to get used to hell, instead of hoping that heaven was around the corner. George eventually escaped, but surviving the aftermath proved to be much more difficult. Past and present are skillfully woven together to connect the pieces of Molho's childhood and adult life that shaped the man he would become. The old adage 'love conquers all' is splayed open to reveal the inner workings that we all seek to understand. George was lucky to learn how to love from his family before his abduction, before his father's cruel version of love was inflicted upon his young body and psyche. Later in life, love compels him to reveal all that happened on the mountainside where he left his innocence as a boy.

It's not about how hard we get hit; it's about how much we can take and keep moving forward. Scarred is a memoir written by a survivor, intended to empower and embolden all who have suffered, survived, and are ready to be set free.

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 12:55:38 PM PST
We absolutely love "Angela's Ashes." What a wonderful, moving, humorous memoir by Frank McCourt! We know what an emotional task it is to write a memoir because we've written one ourselves. It's It Had to Be Us. Our story is about how we got back together after being divorced and estranged for almost two decades, and it's written in a "He Remembers/She Remembers" style that people seem to like. We hope you enjoy It Had to Be Us

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 6:37:39 PM PST
what? says:
Stories passed on by his ancestors will live on because Roger C. Elliott has put them into print in his book: What Back Then Was Like. Prepare to sit on the front porch on a warm afternoon and read it from cover-to-cover. What "Back Then" Was Like: and stories passed on by ancestors

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 7:59:52 AM PST
My recomendation is The Pursuit of Success by Sena Oztosun. It is about a little primary school girl who lives in Turkey. The book is full of advices for the children and it has such a brilliant and outstanding concept. It epmhasizes the power of education. I think everybody should read it. In addition, The Pursuit of Success is read in most of the primary schools during the English lessons. It encourages all the people to achive the success. Here is the link: The Pursuit of Success: Based On A True Story

Wish everybody the best!

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 6:50:30 AM PST
sedgwick says:
Beautiful Boy by David Sheff
Wasted by Marya Hornbacher
And I Don't Want to Live this Life by Deborah Spungen
Loud in the House of Myself by Stacy Pershall
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Memoir forum (160 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
memoirs by writers and artists 149 Jul 30, 2014
Coming-of-Age Memoir Source 17 Jun 15, 2013
Memoir has sold over 3000 copies this month. 28 May 28, 2013
Wolfhilde's Hitler Youth Diary 1939-1946 - New Book 1 Mar 2, 2013
Memoir: LeavingWayne 0 Feb 24, 2013
When a memoir blends with fiction 84 Feb 21, 2013
What is your favorite memoir? 218 Feb 8, 2013
Memoir regret?? 19 Jan 28, 2013
Please review my book. 1 Jan 12, 2013
drug memoirs 144 Jan 7, 2013
Most satisfying memoirs? 153 Dec 23, 2012
Can't remember the title, grrr! Help? 3 Dec 19, 2012

This discussion

Discussion in:  Memoir forum
Participants:  153
Total posts:  219
Initial post:  Dec 6, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions