Customer Discussions > Memoir forum

What is your favorite memoir?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 219 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 4, 2011 3:34:55 PM PDT
Julie says:
We are absolutely delighted to pass on that The Wayward Child has been Nominated for the Global Ebook awards
The book 100% deserves this and a huge congratulations to Rita Lowther for writing such a fabulous book.
www.ritalowther.com

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 8:04:44 AM PDT
cdmbooks says:
My recommendation is What Happened to Suzy on the link below. Suzy is too ugly to love and is dissed by a mother who talks about her and imitates her up and down the hallway of their home. After being abused by her mother and called names, Suzy goes into her social environment where her looks causes classmates to nickname her the blob.

One would think Suzy couldn't survive such abuse. When she comes home she is locked up in the room with other siblings under the auspices of a crazy brother who has a fascination with white idols, Elvis Presley, Soupy Sales and a host of other characters. The facets of abuse don't end there.

Suzy is diagnosed to have a bad heart. When the mother finds out about it she does nothing. Suzy is forced to live this way.

Shocker! Suzy survives. I am Suzy. I wrote "What Happened to Suzy" to make sure others know that you can overcome anything if you just put your mind to it and believe in yourself. If nobody loves you; love yourself and give yourself the things in life that nobody else think you deserve.

What Happened to Suzy is available on Kindle. And this book won a Readersfavorite 2011 Book Award. Thanks for listening.

What Happened to Suzy

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 9:59:53 AM PDT
Bookgirl says:
OMG, when I read the reviews of some of these memoirs, i.e., "What Happened to Suzy", I realize that my childhood wasn't nearly as bad as some. Wishing you the best, Suzy:)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 11:12:46 AM PDT
cdmbooks says:
Thank you book girl.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 9:14:08 AM PDT
Rock My World by John Howard

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 3:02:24 PM PDT
I just read Amazon in Arabic by C.P.T. Jennings. I couldn't out it down, which for me means a lot because a lot of books I can hardly put down fast enough. Caroline Jennings tells of her very unique life history growing up in rural West Virgina coal country, attending and dropping out of Vassar, being a professional artist, working on an extended archeology expedition in Jordan, the death of her two dearest friends in one year, and living and working in NYC. Oh, and also dealing with breast cancer on top of it yet without any sensationalism or self pity. I highly reccommend this book!

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 1:49:59 PM PDT
Ingrid Ricks says:
If anyone enjoys coming of age memoirs, you might enjoy my newly launched memoir: Hippie Boy: A Girl's Story I uploaded it Saturday night and it's been a top 10 YA memoir bestseller since and #1 on the hot new release list for that category.

It's about a feisty teenage girl who escapes her oppressive Mormon stepfather by joining her dad on the road as a tool-selling vagabond -- until his arrest forces her to take charge of her life.

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 11:45:15 AM PDT
Hello all! You might consider my memoir, Journey to One. Intricately woven and full of prose, it tells of my growing up in a small town as a Jehovah's Witness, struggling with suicidal depression as a young adult, and the passage from darkness and despair to vibrant health. It follows as I embark on a path of self-discovery -- a journey from the therapist's couch, to the sacred Toltec pyramids in Mexico, to the realm of quantum physics, to the yoga mat, and beyond. Those who have read it so far have found it compelling, inspiring and powerful, and I hope you do as well!

~ K

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 5:23:52 PM PDT
Carol Ryan says:
Here is a great review by Bruce Bongar--don't have to take my word!

Carol Ryan has crafted a wonderful touching poignant book about her life and her triumph. It is not only only a superb story, but an inspirational message to everyone about the fragile nature of life, and how crucial it is to "live life to the lees" - basically to live one's life to the fullest - that every day counts.

It is also an engaging tale that brings one in touch with some exotic experiences (for those who have never ventured out in the deep blue sea). What is particularly impressive is that this is the first work for this writer; hopefully we can anticipate a follow-up where we see the journey continue.

In summary, a terrific book. Going to give it to a few friends of mine who need to get some perspective on life, and remember how vital it is to live in the moment and cherish every great day we have on this planet.
Right Now Is Perfect: A Romance, An Adventure, The Unexpected Thereafter

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 8:46:00 PM PDT
Denied Innocence:
Denied Innocence

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 7:04:52 AM PDT
esldonna says:
If you're looking for a happy memoir, not a tear-jerk-er, but a smile on the face memoir, look no farther.
Big Backpack--Little World is the stories of teaching and traveling around the world, and the people I met along the way.
In 2000 Donna Morang sold all her earthly possessions and left the United States to teach ESL (English as a second language). Join her as she travels to three continents, and twelve countries. Step into her classroom and teach English in Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, and Vietnam, or vacation with her in Spain, Thailand, and Cambodia. Fall in love with her students learning English, the special street kids, some crazy bartenders, and fellow backpackers. Meet new friends and hear their stories, or laugh with a romantic man or two from around the world. Venture into the countryside to dance with local people, drink moonshine, explore caves, fish for marlin, catch buckets of squid, or squirm as she eats strange bugs and worms. Hold her hand as she explores new city streets and countries-- often lost, once robbed, or tremble when guns are pointed at her, as she crosses one more border. Donna Morang, teacher and traveler has done this and more with a smile and a gusto for life. She definitely knows how to experience life as a true adventurer. This book is NOT about a woman going in search of herself, or looking for a better life. She already knows that life is beautiful, and she lives it to the fullest

I hope you have as much fun reading Big Backpack--Little World, as I did living it.
Gracias.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 11:25:40 PM PDT
Haris says:
ACT III by Richard Romanus. It narrates how the Hollywood star retires to Skiathos, a small Greek island. It is very entertaining and enlightening... plus you get an insight of the Greek culture and hospitality!

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 4:44:23 PM PDT
Dr. SG says:
Mama Moon (True, inspirational story of courage, love & triumph! Almost free)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 9:01:48 PM PST
Angar18 says:
Backwards Through the Looking Glass by Alveg Spaug. Funny, witty. Just a humoros and entertaining reading. Humbly recommending. I enjoyed it for sure.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 4:29:34 PM PST
ReviewerNYC says:
Looking forward to reading the long awaited release of Lucinda Ruh's book "Frozen Teardrop". She is the most artistic figure skater ever to take the ice stage! The most accomplished and beautiful spinner (you must look up her videos on-line or on her website), you will be astonished when you see her spin. Simply an inspiration to all. What a great person. I plan on updating this review after I finish reading her book, but especially since I take notice that Lucinda wrote the book herself (not like others who hire a writer - no short-cuts for her), I am confident it will be an enjoyment to read. I am truly looking forward to reading her story.
The link to her newly released book is directly below;
Frozen Teardrop: The Tragedy and Triumph of Figure Skating's "Queen of Spin"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 8:46:41 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 21, 2011 5:48:08 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 8:54:30 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 21, 2011 5:47:17 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 1:30:04 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 18, 2011 1:31:01 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 1:57:28 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 27, 2011 2:17:53 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 8:33:08 PM PST
jkues says:
The Gypsy Saw Two Lives is a fast paced memoir about the life and adventures of a Romanian women who defected to America before the communist party fell. It has a lot in it and I couldn't put it down. It has so many twists and turns that it was truly captivating. Would recommend to all.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 8:46:01 PM PST
jkues says:
I just finished today "The gypsy saw two lives". It was so good, I got it for Christmas and was very surprised that I finished in 3 days (just because every spare moment I had I spent reading it). It is the life of a Romanian women who defects from communism to america. The book is all about her two lives from birth-30 in communism and 31-present in america. All of the twists and turns are captivating and I really don't want to spoil all the surprises. But it has all the good and bad; birth and death, marriage and divorce, sickness and health. I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys memoirs.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 8:25:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2012 8:26:55 AM PST
My Favorite Memoir is : The Baby's Cross: A Tuberculosis Survivor's Memoir [Paperback]
C. Gale Perkins (Author)

This was just republished using CCB Publishing and is one great read.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 6:44:04 AM PST
For all of you readers who love Memoir's, read a beautiful love story called "Have The Last Dance With Me" Author: JoAnn Lloyd Fichtner

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 7:08:24 AM PST
relax says:
Life On the Colorline: The True Story of a Colored Boy Who Discovered He Was Black by Gregory H. Williams. Love this book! It shows how spurious race is as a classification system and how a child's world is suddenly turned upside down by his father's alcoholism and societal racism.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 10:56:18 AM PST
Ben-Ari Tal says:
Hey for any of you who like to read. I just checked out this cool travel book which talks about life in Tel Aviv. It's called "Brothers Don't Travel: Short Stories of Israel."

Brothers Don't Travel: Short Stories of Israel
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Memoir forum (160 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
memoirs by writers and artists 149 Jul 30, 2014
Coming-of-Age Memoir Source 17 Jun 15, 2013
Memoir has sold over 3000 copies this month. 28 May 28, 2013
Wolfhilde's Hitler Youth Diary 1939-1946 - New Book 1 Mar 2, 2013
Memoir: LeavingWayne 0 Feb 24, 2013
When a memoir blends with fiction 84 Feb 21, 2013
What is your favorite memoir? 218 Feb 8, 2013
Memoir regret?? 19 Jan 28, 2013
Please review my book. 1 Jan 12, 2013
drug memoirs 144 Jan 7, 2013
Most satisfying memoirs? 153 Dec 23, 2012
Can't remember the title, grrr! Help? 3 Dec 19, 2012

This discussion

Discussion in:  Memoir forum
Participants:  153
Total posts:  219
Initial post:  Dec 6, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions